Like it or not the industry is in trouble

#31excitebike64Posted 3/26/2013 7:09:45 AM
All three will sell well 8th gen, but will take 1-2 years to gain their legs.

I have no idea why that is so hard to understand. All three will just be different enough.
#32darealest47Posted 3/26/2013 7:16:42 AM
*Bane's voice
When the industry is in ashes you will have my permission to go to a previous generation of games.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#33mini_blightPosted 3/26/2013 7:40:39 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
A lot of those sales are used, which isn't accounted for by NPD. Skewed numbers. There is no crash.

NPD skewers numbers, confirmed.

Where is your god now, Nice_Kirbyfan?
#34meiyukiPosted 3/26/2013 7:40:47 AM
digiblaster posted...

Mobile games look the way to go these days - cheap development, cheap to buy, and there's a much larger market. I sincerely hope that dedicated games consoles remain a thing, but I honestly can't see Sony and MS sticking around for much longer if they continue at this rate. Nintendo will more than likely be okay, since they've kept a steady pace, and they have their huge wealth of IPs to last them a long time. Still, things don't look good for anybody at the moment - we can only wait and hope things turn out.

Mobile isn't as great as the media would like you think. Most games are never downloaded once, many more are only downloaded a few times and never make a profit. The market is so ridiculously over-saturated that it's hard to get any visibility. The media is selectively reporting on the success stories of mobile and ignoring the multitude of failures. Remeber gunman clive made more money on the 3ds which a MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller install base than it ever did on phones.

We've known for a while that there wasn't going to be a huge graphical leap this generation simply because no one can afford it, it's why PC games are only using a fraction of the power available to them. While mobile isn't going away and will always just offer one more platform to port games to, I think the real future is in the indies and kickstarters you see appearing. Nintendo is of course doing everything they can to get more of them, steam has an entire section of it's store dedicated to just indie games.

Whatever happens though it's clear the current model for game development just doesn't work.
#35zender1999Posted 3/26/2013 7:57:35 AM
this industry needs freshnees, new ips, new way of playing games, new way to use online in games

nintendo is safe with the wiiu and the gamepad, it offers limitless possibilietis for games and the way to experience them, play, gameplay and so on

also nintendo first party software, it will sell a lot
nintendo is safe, the others...i dont know
#36knightimexPosted 3/26/2013 8:18:07 AM
Gaming industry needs to take a step back and start gaming again at the root of the problem.
Make video games VIDEO GAMES and not interactive high res media.

( List below doesn't apply to all games)
+ More Bosses
+ More Cheat Codes
+ More Random Unrealistic Explosions
+ More Fantasy Like
- Less Realistic
---
Old School Games FTW!
#37Shankspeare(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:23:42 AM
I agree with a lot of what people are saying here about it not crashing. However, there is something very wrong with the business philosophy currently in the console market. Blame whoever you want but there is a reason that the mobile scene has risen.
#38Enigma149Posted 3/26/2013 3:42:26 PM
Shankspeare posted...
I agree with a lot of what people are saying here about it not crashing. However, there is something very wrong with the business philosophy currently in the console market. Blame whoever you want but there is a reason that the mobile scene has risen.

I'm not really going to complain about that, either.

Remember - the mobile scene is bad now, but 5 years from now? Phone games should be just as good as everything else. Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if some big multiplats (say, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 5) come to phones in addition to PCs, consoles and handhelds.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22