Why the Wii-U needs Metroid Dread(Kinda long, sorry)

#1fawfulmark2Posted 3/27/2013 4:06:23 PM
Of all the Nintendo IPs heavily requested for a new installment, with the possible exception of F-zero Metroid has recently been getting a majority of them all. and I honestly do not blame them. with Retro Studio's still unknown title potentially planned for an unveil at E3 and the Wii-U having less then stellar sals,what better then one Nintendo's 3 most critically acclaimed franchises to give the system the kick it deserves? but while many people would want a Prime 4(which makes no sense really,since 4 isn't a Prime number), I feel Dread should be highest priority.

Why, you may ask? because it has the potential to set up an amazing story. after the events of Fusion, Samus stopped a top secret government project to reproduce Metroids for counter-terrorism purposes. Alongside that, the Adam AI betrayed the colony to save her life, ending with them escaping the remains of SR388(along with the Dachora and Etecoons from Super Metroid). Needless to say,the higher ups were probably not to happy about what transpired,and would want to see it dealt with swiftly.

A potential setting for Dread could be something like this: Samus is listed by the galactic federation as a rogue, being framed for the deaths of the crew studying the X from Fusion as a potential side effect of being crossed with Metroid DNA(since IIRC no other person has had such a procedure happen). Samus, with the assistance of the AI and aliens,must find a way to restore her name while avoiding those trying to hunt her down and combating a brand new threat in the shadows.

This could also touch upon how she is viewed by the outside world-in some colonies her motives can be questioned yet respected,another one can be anarchistic followers who view her like a revolutionary and fight for her,and yet another one could be filled with supremacists who no longer view her as human and more like the very monsters she hunts,which would in turn call into question her very humanity,since she is part human, Chozo and Metroid now. also this hypothetical plot can be a good kickoff point for bringing the Hunters from MPH back in he series. Lastly, if there was one sweet thing to salvage from the lemon that was Other M, it's that there have been several Metroid breeding programs over the years, so who's to say why not one more....? Needless to say,if done well they could craft a story talked about for ages.

Now as for the system, along with Mario Metroid has the best track record of using controls on Nintendo systems effectively, from the surprisingly effective control scheme of the GC games, the the handheld installments on GBA, to the Wii's Prime 3. I don't have much of a good idea yet(maybe one feature is some sort of GPS/map for space travel or something),but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would finally show the true potential of the tablet if they made a Metroid game sing it most effectively. Obviously some are a little worried over the series after the letdown that was Other M, but look no further then Tomb Raider for an example of a series that took a great fall(Angel of Darkness)but managed to rise stronger then ever before. So don't buy into those "Metroid is Dead" woes(besides it's only been like 3 years, so chill out.)

TL, DR: Metroid Dread has the potential to be the killer app Nintendo needs for Wii-U,to have a story worth a damn, and return the series to fine form. So yeah Nintendo, get on it.
---
Brawl FC: 2280-6185-9316
if you ever fight a spammy Pit or Marth, that might be my nephew.... just so you know.
#2habsalltheway33Posted 3/27/2013 6:48:41 PM
fawfulmark2 posted...
Of all the Nintendo IPs heavily requested for a new installment, with the possible exception of F-zero Metroid has recently been getting a majority of them all. and I honestly do not blame them. with Retro Studio's still unknown title potentially planned for an unveil at E3 and the Wii-U having less then stellar sals,what better then one Nintendo's 3 most critically acclaimed franchises to give the system the kick it deserves? but while many people would want a Prime 4(which makes no sense really,since 4 isn't a Prime number), I feel Dread should be highest priority.

Why, you may ask? because it has the potential to set up an amazing story. after the events of Fusion, Samus stopped a top secret government project to reproduce Metroids for counter-terrorism purposes. Alongside that, the Adam AI betrayed the colony to save her life, ending with them escaping the remains of SR388(along with the Dachora and Etecoons from Super Metroid). Needless to say,the higher ups were probably not to happy about what transpired,and would want to see it dealt with swiftly.

A potential setting for Dread could be something like this: Samus is listed by the galactic federation as a rogue, being framed for the deaths of the crew studying the X from Fusion as a potential side effect of being crossed with Metroid DNA(since IIRC no other person has had such a procedure happen). Samus, with the assistance of the AI and aliens,must find a way to restore her name while avoiding those trying to hunt her down and combating a brand new threat in the shadows.

This could also touch upon how she is viewed by the outside world-in some colonies her motives can be questioned yet respected,another one can be anarchistic followers who view her like a revolutionary and fight for her,and yet another one could be filled with supremacists who no longer view her as human and more like the very monsters she hunts,which would in turn call into question her very humanity,since she is part human, Chozo and Metroid now. also this hypothetical plot can be a good kickoff point for bringing the Hunters from MPH back in he series. Lastly, if there was one sweet thing to salvage from the lemon that was Other M, it's that there have been several Metroid breeding programs over the years, so who's to say why not one more....? Needless to say,if done well they could craft a story talked about for ages.

Now as for the system, along with Mario Metroid has the best track record of using controls on Nintendo systems effectively, from the surprisingly effective control scheme of the GC games, the the handheld installments on GBA, to the Wii's Prime 3. I don't have much of a good idea yet(maybe one feature is some sort of GPS/map for space travel or something),but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would finally show the true potential of the tablet if they made a Metroid game sing it most effectively. Obviously some are a little worried over the series after the letdown that was Other M, but look no further then Tomb Raider for an example of a series that took a great fall(Angel of Darkness)but managed to rise stronger then ever before. So don't buy into those "Metroid is Dead" woes(besides it's only been like 3 years, so chill out.)

TL, DR: Metroid Dread has the potential to be the killer app Nintendo needs for Wii-U,to have a story worth a damn, and return the series to fine form. So yeah Nintendo, get on it.

I pretty well have no objections whatsoever. It would be a sick game and should be exactly what the next game jumps into. Sorry for not matching the topic's length with my reply hahaha
#3fawfulmark2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 12:04:29 AM
no biggie.

also, bumpeth.
---
Brawl FC: 2280-6185-9316
if you ever fight a spammy Pit or Marth, that might be my nephew.... just so you know.
#4DrkVrtxPosted 3/28/2013 4:35:57 AM
The problem is Nintendo is reluctant to make a post-Fusion Metroid for some strange reason. As you point out, there is an absolute treasure trove of possibilities in terms of story, expanding the Metroid lore and so on. In fact, if Nintendo would get their damn act together and put the franchise firmly into capable hands - Western hands since Japan doesn't give a toss about it - the depth and complexity of the Metroid universe could easily match the likes of your Mass Effects and Halos.
#5AceMosPosted 3/28/2013 4:41:35 AM
the problem is with the federationc allign samus a rouge

she coudl crush the federation with out much efort

the pirates wher destorying teh federation and samus beat them back so yea
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#6MelkacPosted 3/28/2013 5:35:35 AM
DrkVrtx posted...
The problem is Nintendo is reluctant to make a post-Fusion Metroid for some strange reason. As you point out, there is an absolute treasure trove of possibilities in terms of story, expanding the Metroid lore and so on. In fact, if Nintendo would get their damn act together and put the franchise firmly into capable hands - Western hands since Japan doesn't give a toss about it - the depth and complexity of the Metroid universe could easily match the likes of your Mass Effects and Halos.

The halos have depth...?

Nice plot, TC. I've been thinking on something similar for months, but it seems like Nintendo's not very into post-Fusion stories...
I mean seriously, can Samus even take her Omega suit off...?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#7Round_DicePosted 3/28/2013 6:52:25 AM
Melkac posted...
I mean seriously, can Samus even take her Omega suit off...?

Ending fusion in the escape sequence should have returned her to normal.

fawfulmark2 posted...
but while many people would want a Prime 4(which makes no sense really,since 4 isn't a Prime number)

"Prime" doesn't refer to the mathematical term, rather the latin root of the word, meaning "first", but as in first in excellence.
So the title "Metroid Prime" refers to the most superior of Metroids (the species) which appear in the games.
#8habsalltheway33Posted 3/28/2013 1:05:52 PM
The biggest problem with Metroid right now is that the series is way too complex. It is spread out in sequels and prequels on older, elusive gaming hardware. Not to mention that there is a variety of gamestyles that all players won't collectively like with 2D and 3D Metroids.People even argue what games are canon and not canon due to M:OM. Many players hopped onto Metroid Prime but just say, if the next Metroid jumps ahead of Fusion...where are those players going to fit in? Rebooting the series would absolutely ruin it. Perhaps they should remake all of the games? But then, even that sounds way too ambitious and it won't really be progressing the series forward. I think they should just make a sequel to Prime and keep it low-key in story terms, while perhaps, remaking the 2D series on the 3DS.
#9_Candice_Posted 3/28/2013 1:18:15 PM
habsalltheway33 posted...
The biggest problem with Metroid right now is that the series is way too complex. It is spread out in sequels and prequels on older, elusive gaming hardware. Not to mention that there is a variety of gamestyles that all players won't collectively like with 2D and 3D Metroids.People even argue what games are canon and not canon due to M:OM. Many players hopped onto Metroid Prime but just say, if the next Metroid jumps ahead of Fusion...where are those players going to fit in? Rebooting the series would absolutely ruin it. Perhaps they should remake all of the games? But then, even that sounds way too ambitious and it won't really be progressing the series forward. I think they should just make a sequel to Prime and keep it low-key in story terms, while perhaps, remaking the 2D series on the 3DS.

To be honest, ambition is exactly what Nintendo needs. Modern Nintendo is too sterile.

And as far as the tablet gimmick goes, they can use it for the visors. When paused it can be for Maps and inventory.
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 3/28/2013 1:35:29 PM
Here's what I've been thinking. Pull a "Mirror of Fate" or "Revelations". Make a sequel to Fusion and a prequel to that sequel. The Sequel could be a classic Metroidvania made in conjunction between Nintendo and Wayforward. 2D, on 3DS, hand drawn with animated cutscenes. Have the Prequel play like Other M mixed with Metroid Blast on Wii U.

Someone mentioned a resistance type story caused by the group within the federation that keeps trying to create biological weapons. I'd like to see that expanded upon on the sequel. The prequel could build up to that while having flashbacks (playable) that venture through Samus's training, time in the army, and previous adventures.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Mirror of Fate, Monster Hunter 3U