Did the Vita get this much bad press?

#41SplatterHouse55Posted 3/28/2013 1:17:20 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Vita was absolutely showered with praise before it's release (meanwhile the 3DS was receiving predictions of doom).
Then the release came and went and the press just sort of stopped talking about it while pretending they never declared the 3DS doomed.

It's really quite simple to explain; sensationalist headlines make good money and the Wii U's less than stellar performance at retail is a really hot topic right now.

To be fair, $250-$300 for the Vita (before it was released) seemed like a decent value for what it could do as a handheld. You can't forget that the 3DS launched at $250, which many felt was expensive for what seemed like a DS with an added 3D effect. Pitting them against each other at $250, it's not easy to argue that the Vita seemed capable of more than the 3DS at practically the same price.

Nintendo realized this, so they dropped the price to $180 right before the Vita launched at $250. All of a sudden, the 3DS doesn't seem that expensive anymore, and the Vita feels way too expensive in comparison, especially with the (now) polarizing prices of PS memory cards, which I don't think would have hit Sony as badly if the 3DS was still at $250 when the Vita launched.

The 3DS took off at $180, and left the Vita in the dust with the (now) way too expensive price point. The thing with the media is that I'm sure they didn't predict that Nintendo was going to drop the price so dramatically as soon as they did (it had never been done before), which is why they were smelling trouble with the 3DS at the time, and predicting that the Vita was going to give the 3DS a run for their money.

Unfortunately, the 3DS price drop set an expectation with consumers. All of a sudden, people that were interested in the Vita decided to wait for a similar price drop shortly after launch (which never came). I do think that the 3DS price drop really crippled the Vita's first year sales potential, but I also think that it didn't do the WiiU any favors either. I wouldn't be surprised if many people are waiting for just that (a dramatic price drop), since Nintendo already set the stage for it with the 3DS, and it really wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo attempts just that right before the PS4 and 720 launch. However, I do see that as a bigger risk than before.
---
Ever since I started working, every day has be worse than the last, so every time you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space
#42LeetyroneusPosted 3/28/2013 4:15:05 AM
Kolanifv posted...
Leetyroneus posted...
Ooooh can I answer this, it's cause SMT IV>P4G...As same can be said for the series

And much like squatch, you're more concerned with an unreleased game whose quality has yet to be determined than something available now.

And much like a gamer who played the original and could care less for a port compared to a whole new game....Nice try though
---
If you try to fail and succeed, then which on is really true....+
#43Jack_the_monke7Posted 3/28/2013 4:35:03 AM
it's bias and there's no way around it. The Wii U has sold more than the Vita in less than half the time and yet these "analysts" and predicting Nintendo will be the one to go third party. The "hardcore" gaming community, especially in the US, has a clear bias against Nintendo and it is stupid and unfair.

As a huge Nintendo fan, I have nothing against either Sony or Microsoft. I don't get why many of their fans can't be the same way. And before you tel me, yes, I know there are some Nintendo fans who troll other consoles. But compare the Vita board to the Wii U board. The more successful console is getting trolled way harder.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#44MelkacPosted 3/28/2013 5:40:39 AM
Buretsu posted...
Vita was flopping for twice as long as the Wii U's even been out. It's only recently started to pull out of a death spiral.

In japan. For two weeks.
And then it sold like half the amount of consoles the 3DS sold again...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#45SplatterHouse55Posted 3/28/2013 11:52:50 PM
Melkac posted...
Buretsu posted...
Vita was flopping for twice as long as the Wii U's even been out. It's only recently started to pull out of a death spiral.

In japan. For two weeks.
And then it sold like half the amount of consoles the 3DS sold again...

Yeah, you're right, but I'd also agree that it's not in the "death spiral" that it was in before. It is selling much better (in japan) than it had been before the price drop.
---
Ever since I started working, every day has be worse than the last, so every time you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space