Kids thinking that WiiU and Wii are the same, but a new design

#11Schwepps01Posted 3/28/2013 7:40:05 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Skill4Reel posted...
Lol. Is it Nintendo that is stupid, or the kids?

Most casuals and non gamers are still unclear about just what exactly the Wii U is. They think its a controller add on for the Wii. A while back at Best Buy I saw a little girl playing Rayman on the Wii U kiosk. The mom came for her and the girl said she wants a Wii U. The mom replied with "We already have a Wii." There in lies the problem. Nintendo has done a poor job marketing their new console. Everyone knows what the Wii is. But very few outside of the gamer demographic know that the Wii U is something different, or even exists for that matter.

A rare self-admittance that the Wii U is literally aimed at 10 year old kids, and that their purchases are what stimulate the system, not actual gamers.
#12DarkAdonis123Posted 3/28/2013 7:42:39 AM(edited)
Schwepps01 posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Skill4Reel posted...
Lol. Is it Nintendo that is stupid, or the kids?

Most casuals and non gamers are still unclear about just what exactly the Wii U is. They think its a controller add on for the Wii. A while back at Best Buy I saw a little girl playing Rayman on the Wii U kiosk. The mom came for her and the girl said she wants a Wii U. The mom replied with "We already have a Wii." There in lies the problem. Nintendo has done a poor job marketing their new console. Everyone knows what the Wii is. But very few outside of the gamer demographic know that the Wii U is something different, or even exists for that matter.

A rare self-admittance that the Wii U is literally aimed at 10 year old kids, and that their purchases are what stimulate the system, not actual gamers.

I never have a problem telling it like it is.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#13Skill4ReelPosted 3/28/2013 8:00:24 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...

Most casuals and non gamers are still unclear about just what exactly the Wii U is. They think its a controller add on for the Wii.

I'm just not buying this issue as the major reason this consoles' sales are what they are. Sure Nintendo's marketing could have been handled differently. Yes, they could have called it Wii2, or Super Wii, or...whatever.

None of that changes that the focus of the Wii U, just like with the Wii is the controller. Advertising no matter how effective or not can only go so far. There has to be a certain level of personal interest in the product that leads one to inquire further.

Sure it is a bit harsh to refer to kids and adults as "stupid." Although if there is a Wii U gamepad in your face whether at a kiosk, TV commercial, or magazine and you don't take the time to find out more about it? The information is written right there on the kiosk.

I guess what I'm saying is that to just assume that a tablet controller with the words "WiiU" on it is an accessory for the Wii based on what? Your own lack of knowledge of the product instead of looking a little further into what it is, is definitely kind of stupid.

Every Wii U TV commercial that I've seen says, "The new Wii U." You mean to tell me that people don't understand what that means? Would a "2" instead of a "U" really make that much of a difference?
#14jackorhoadsPosted 3/28/2013 8:55:47 AM
I don't think its a question of stupidity, just very poor marketing from Nintendo.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd