"3DS was failing at first too and it took off, the same will happen for Wii U!"

#1PhaseBlackPosted 3/28/2013 9:11:39 AM
That has to be the most idiotic statement I see being spouted on this board. Do you guys even think about what you're saying and put actual thought behind what you say or is it just reassurance? I just cant see how the 3DS and Wii U can even be compared with the different situations they're in.

First off, the 3DS launched at an inflated price set to take advantage of the most loyal fans who rushed out the door to get it as soon as it became available. It was well overpriced giving Nintendo a big chunk of revenue even with slow sales. The Wii U though is supposedly being sold at a loss coupled with slow sales, very different.

Next, the 3DS launched in the Spring of it's first year, lots of it's sluggish performance was due to it not having a holiday season yet. The Wii U though launched in the holiday season and had a crazy amount of ads for it, it's actually shocking how it's decent start turned into a nosedive right after the holidays.

Now here's the biggest thing, the 3DS got an $80 price drop just a few months after it became available. It started selling at $170 at the very start of it's first holiday season, and had SM3DL and M7 as killer apps in it's first year. The Wii U is selling at a loss so a price drop wont be as large and it will not get it to the sweet point of selling below $200.

Let me also point out that the price drop the 3DS got happened MONTHS before it's competition, the PS Vita launched. It had a whole holiday season to itself, while the Wii U's upcoming holiday season will have it competing with not one new console but two. The PS4 and 720 are going to be a massive blow to Nintendo when they launch, ad they're already hurting badly with the Wii U's current situation.

It's only going to get worse, the turnaround that the 3DS got just isn't going to happen for Wii U
---
PSVita & 3DS
#2Sailor GoonPosted 3/28/2013 9:14:35 AM
I think it's funny that people think that just because one product followed a trend, the same thing will happen with other products
---
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#3snae99Posted 3/28/2013 9:16:40 AM
Nobody post. For the love of god don't post.
---
Currently playing: Dark Souls and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
#4LemonKweenstaaaPosted 3/28/2013 9:16:43 AM
I think its funny when people act like this entire board thinks as one.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
you can't make money on games without making a console ~Beatperson14
#5The_King82Posted 3/28/2013 9:17:33 AM
The wii u is not getting a price drop and it haz no gaems so there goes any chance of it surviving.
---
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM!!!!!
#6InnerscopePosted 3/28/2013 9:19:30 AM
snae99 posted...
Nobody post. For the love of god don't post.

Crappiest quote of the year:
"kingdom hearts.. i think it would be cool to see some final fantasy characters in that game" -VanilleHopen
#7icarus231Posted 3/28/2013 9:19:39 AM
The_King82 posted...
The wii u is not getting a price drop and it haz no gaems so there goes any chance of it surviving.

English please. Not sure what gaems are but if you meant has no games you are wrong. It has games i play them everynight when i get home.
#8TerotrousPosted 3/28/2013 9:38:11 AM
The fact of the matter is that 3DS's big turnaround owes almost 100% to Super Mario 3D Land. The other factors are just circumstantial.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#9Tsutarja495Posted 3/28/2013 9:41:30 AM
Since Mario Kart and 3D Mario will be playable at E3, I assume they will be out this year. They should boost sales the same way 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 did on the 3DS.
#10PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:22:17 AM
Terotrous posted...
The fact of the matter is that 3DS's big turnaround owes almost 100% to Super Mario 3D Land. The other factors are just circumstantial.

That is absolute bull. Consumers would not have cared about the game if the price was still $250, the $80 price cut along with Mario Kart 7 are the things that saved the 3DS. It was two big killer apps with a price drop that are the turnaround, not one single game
---
PSVita & 3DS