The real problem is Nintendo's silence

#1TerotrousPosted 3/28/2013 9:19:59 AM
Public Relations 101 is that when some bad news comes out, you need to give some kind of response to try to change the focus of the conversation and not just let it fester. Right now, Nintendo has said virtually nothing for the last month, causing the negativity to build to levels that could actually start to have a real impact.

What they need to do at this point is have another Nintendo Direct where they show actual footage of some of their big upcoming games. It doesn't matter how Alpha it is, it's obvious that they have footage of Smash, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart. At least one of them needs to be shown, ideally Smash because it's the one that builds the most hype. And give the Pikmin 3 release date already.

The gaming industry is all about momentum. Systems with good games sell better and garner more third-party interest, which in turn sells more games. Of course, this can also go in reverse, a system that doesn't sell well and doesn't get gamers excited will not get support and will struggle to turn things around. In 4 months, many devs have gone from being psyched about the Wii U to having no interest in it. Waiting even another few weeks without doing something to show they at least still care about this system and intend to keep supporting it could be very damaging in the long run.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#2DrumguyPosted 3/28/2013 9:26:22 AM
They've been working on improving the console's performance. There's a big update coming out next month that's going to help decrease the loading times.

They've showed footage of the bigger upcoming games not THAT long ago - like less than two months.... maybe one month even.

Instead of talking about what they should be doing, they're doing it.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#3Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 9:28:56 AM
Drumguy posted...
They've been working on improving the console's performance. There's a big update coming out next month that's going to help decrease the loading times.

They've showed footage of the bigger upcoming games not THAT long ago - like less than two months.... maybe one month even.

That's true, but to be honest that's not vital. "We've increased system performance!" isn't really something that gets people excited. It's certainly useful, but it's not a real PR goldmine.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
#4DrumguyPosted 3/28/2013 9:31:24 AM
Terotrous posted...
Drumguy posted...

That's true, but to be honest that's not vital. "We've increased system performance!" isn't really something that gets people excited. It's certainly useful, but it's not a real PR goldmine.

....Like I said.... They're working on developing the games instead of talking about them.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#5SlimeSwayzePosted 3/28/2013 9:32:29 AM
I agree. And I think it's either a big problem, or Nintendo is simply loading up their guns for E3. What worries me is that if they had a ton of stuff to show at E3, you'd think they'd at least let some of that slip out early, either through a Nintendo Direct or at the GDC, in order to balance out the bad press they've been receiving and the utter lack of consumer interest.

I'm still hopeful that they will have a lot of great stuff at E3, but it could be a fool's hope. It just doesn't seem like they know what they're doing right now.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#6Bahamut_10thPosted 3/28/2013 9:35:24 AM
They did responde multiple times. Not that it helped at all but their answer was:

-They're not worried
#7CelestialMindPosted 3/28/2013 9:36:53 AM
They can't show anything because there's nothing to show.
The Wii U was released far too early and as a result it's going to flop.

Also, the general public doesn't care about release dates or hype trailers, they care about games available to them right now.

Nintendo are slackers. Haven't released anything for the Wii in ages and still had nothing ready to release for the Wii U.

Sony releases games for the PS3 still while having launch titles ready for the PS4. Why can't Nintendo? Because they are lazy slackers.
#8meiyukiPosted 3/28/2013 9:41:29 AM
Terotrous posted...
Public Relations 101 is that when some bad news comes out, you need to give some kind of response to try to change the focus of the conversation and not just let it fester. Right now, Nintendo has said virtually nothing for the last month, causing the negativity to build to levels that could actually start to have a real impact.

No the absolutely worst possible thing you can ever do is respond to every little negative thing anyone says about you cause they'll just assume they were right since you've felt the need to respond and keep it up. If you let people who don't like you at all control you then you've lost and will forever be reacting to what they say about you.

What you are witnessing is the effect of a tiny group of people trying to blow up things way beyond what any of them mean. Seriously just try spending a few weeks totally outside any media and enjoying your games and see how your outlook changes.
#9MilesTeg420Posted 3/28/2013 9:42:57 AM
Nintendo's silence has been a problem for far too long, since back in the Wii days. It's anti-hype, and this policy of not showing games til they're ready, and not giving release dates til a month before needs to die a very painful death.

I understand why they did this, because they would show a game that wouldnt come out for years. But this new strategy has proved even more ineffective and damaging.
#10Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 9:43:00 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
I agree. And I think it's either a big problem, or Nintendo is simply loading up their guns for E3.

That was probably the plan, but realistically I don't think they can afford to wait that long. If they allow 2 whole more months of terrible sales and constant doom and gloom the system could well be beyond saving, regardless of how good their E3 is.

Bahamut_10th posted...
They did responde multiple times. Not that it helped at all but their answer was:

-They're not worried

Yeah that's no good, it just makes them seem out of touch / unconcerned. Other people are clearly worried. They need to show people some of the reason they have for not being worried.

CelestialMind posted...
They can't show anything because there's nothing to show.
The Wii U was released far too early and as a result it's going to flop.

They obviously have stuff to show. It's not possible to release a game in 6 months if there isn't some preliminary gameplay footage available.

Also, the general public doesn't care about release dates or hype trailers, they care about games available to them right now.

Lol this is hilariously wrong. Did you see how much press was generated by the Sony February conference? The one where they showed trailers for a console that no one has seen, knows the price of, and won't be able to buy for another 6 months?
---