I'd rather play the new multiplaform games on the Wii U

#1MechaKoopa5000Posted 3/28/2013 12:47:47 PM(edited)
I own a 360 and bought BioShock Infinite launch day. Great game, but I do wish it was on Wii U, too. I'd have absolutely purchased it on there instead if the option was there. Obviously, as a multiplatform owner, I'm not "bitter" that the game's not on Wii U as I still get to enjoy it, but it's going to be a bit of a burn if they DO release Infinite on Wii U sometime later.

Edit: Typo in title. "Multiplatform", not "plaform".
#2SychinLegacyPosted 3/28/2013 12:47:02 PM
The new Bioshock isn't on the Wii U because it was in development LONG before Wii U devkits were available. It's understandable that they didn't want to start all over for a Wii U version.

People forget that developing most games takes a lot of time. And that most games coming out right now were in development before the Wii U was available to them.
#3FF_FiendPosted 3/28/2013 12:59:56 PM
Label me a troll if you must, but I can't see the benefit in geting new multiplatform games on the Wii U. I'd rather have a more seamless online interface with more players online (only because of a larger install base), a more comfortable controller with a longer battery life (and one that I don't have to look down at for gimmicky controls and info), trophies/achievements, etc. etc.

Man, I sound like a Sony fanboy. Let me qualify all of those statements with the following:

I love Nintendo, and unlike many, I see the potential of the Wii U and I know it's going to fly off the shelves when the big games come out for it. But then I bought my Nintendo console for Nintendo games. I hope they have success with multiplatform games, and I hope they provide us with more reasons to get big multiplat games on their console as opposed to Sony's or Microsoft's. As of right now though, there just sort of...isn't.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#4MechaKoopa5000(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 1:25:36 PM
Label me a troll if you must, but I can't see the benefit in geting new multiplatform games on the Wii U. I'd rather have a more seamless online interface with more players online (only because of a larger install base), a more comfortable controller with a longer battery life (and one that I don't have to look down at for gimmicky controls and info), trophies/achievements, etc. etc.

Let me stop you right there. As I said, I'm a 360 owner, but BioShock is a single player game. Xbox Live vs. Nintendo's approach makes no difference in this case, though I def could see Miiverse being useful. Secondly, comfortability is an opinion. I have no problem with the Wii U pad even for more traditional games (COD, Sonic Racing, etc). I also tend to leave it plugged in, so that's not an issue for me personally. Obviously this changes depending on your setup. Lastly, even as a multiplatform owner, I simply don't care about Trophies/Achievements. Yeah...

Again, in this case the developers likely didn't have time to make an acceptable port and release it alongside the others at launch. I just know I'd almost always buy the Wii U version if there were an option and it was not obviously crippled in comparison to the other versions.
#5FF_FiendPosted 3/28/2013 8:03:13 PM
All fair objections, if your topic title said "I'd rather play Bioshock on the Wii U" - but your topic title referred to all multiplatform games. So yeah, still no reason to go for Wii U for multiplatform games just yet. I really hope there WILL BE - but there isn't. Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements (I don't really either) and you like leaving your controller plugged in all the time (why? I'm not sure), you have to admit that those are largely considered cons by the general gaming populous and likely a reason why third parties are shying away from the console.

You didn't list too many reasons why playing on the Wii U would be preferable to playing it on your other console - other than maybe Miiverse could be helpful. Miiverse is fun, but in terms of helpfulness, isn't that why the likes of you and I frequent forums such as these? If that's the only reason to get a multiplat game on the Wii U...sad state of affairs.

I can give you more reasons why it's a bad idea. Load times. Disc read speeds. Lack of any formidable e-shop/DLC system. These will all likely be improved over time. Again, as of right now, not seeing any reason for it.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
#6MechaKoopa5000(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 11:54:35 AM
I want them on Wii U mainly because I'm running out of room on my 360. I bought the Wii U and would like to play new games on it. It's like buying a brand new car but then driving your old one around anyway. I bought the Wii U, so I'd like to play any new games on the Wii U otherwise... what's the point?

I still dream of a day when all you need is one console like in the 16-bit era. I still love Nintendo's first party games. It would be nice if they ever got some serious 3rd party support again. I really thought Wii U had a shot since it's comparable with the other systems (right now, anyway)... but alas.
#7lp913Posted 3/29/2013 12:04:34 PM
FF_Fiend posted...
All fair objections, if your topic title said "I'd rather play Bioshock on the Wii U" - but your topic title referred to all multiplatform games. So yeah, still no reason to go for Wii U for multiplatform games just yet. I really hope there WILL BE - but there isn't. Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements (I don't really either) and you like leaving your controller plugged in all the time (why? I'm not sure), you have to admit that those are largely considered cons by the general gaming populous and likely a reason why third parties are shying away from the console.

You didn't list too many reasons why playing on the Wii U would be preferable to playing it on your other console - other than maybe Miiverse could be helpful. Miiverse is fun, but in terms of helpfulness, isn't that why the likes of you and I frequent forums such as these? If that's the only reason to get a multiplat game on the Wii U...sad state of affairs.

I can give you more reasons why it's a bad idea. Load times. Disc read speeds. Lack of any formidable e-shop/DLC system. These will all likely be improved over time. Again, as of right now, not seeing any reason for it.

You're misinformed. The eShop/DLC system is already in place. Its Nintendo (and rightfully so) bypassing the dreaded SEASON PASS that devs are losing their marketing minds over that might give some of them pause when even considering day and date releases for the Wii U. That's likely the reason aside from the low hardware sales.

Wii U as a potential console preference its pretty self-explanatory. I'd argue better controller layout (the SNES like setup is still arguably the best of any console) including the option for the convenience of Off-TV play aside from Miiverse for me is enough reason to consider a Wii U multiplat over the others, imo of course! Anyone trying to claim other wise only ends up showing their envy that their own preferred console maker of choice didn't implement that idea right out of the box themselves.

Anyway, I hear ya, TC! Keep in mind that the next Wii U release is indeed a day and date Multiplat, a game I'm getting myself (Injustice: Gods Among Us), again bypassing the Season Pass getting next to no pre-order content on Day 1 (for anyone's information, the DLC is confirmed to come at a later date for that game courtesy of Nintendo Direct 2/14/13). Its clearly up to Nintendo to get these other devs to bring over the WORTHWHILE games (you know, the ones that DON'T SUCK?) that has been recently released and has yet to see a Wii U dev kit.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#8tizzywilkillyouPosted 3/29/2013 12:13:22 PM
FF_Fiend posted...

These are all BS.

Somebody already addressed the eshop/DLC comment. With regard to load times and disc read speeds... I read that NFS:MWU had comparable load times on 360 and Wii U, and that's with the 360 version installed on the hard drive (with the PS3 version being slower).
#9FF_FiendPosted 4/1/2013 1:52:45 PM
Ip913, in my post, I was referring more to there being no "account" system in place - the games you download are tied to your console and not an account. For instance: if I, a 3DS owner, were to purchase a digital game on my 3DS, and then decided to upgrade (downgrade, in my opinion) to a 3DS XL, I wouldn't be able to transfer those games seamlessly. Yes, it can be done. But it's not as simple as just game sharing using your own account.

Season Pass deals are absurd, I think we can all agree. Paying for content when you don't even know what content is yet is like the absurdist finale of the DLC debacle going on in gaming today. However, if one version gets day 1 DLC and the other version doesn't - which is the superior version to play on release day? Sure, it'll get fixed over time, but why do I want to shortchange myself? Some people will never buy DLC - and that's fine. Kudos to them. But if I love a game, I want everything it has to offer as soon as its available. Not really Nintendo's fault - but certainly a reason to dodge a multiplat on their console.

As for control layout - the SNES layout is exactly what the PS3 is. Just replace letters with shapes. And my controller can remain unplugged for as long as I want to play.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'm not opposed to being convinced that I should be buying my multiplat games on the Wii U. I'm open to reason - so by all means, keep trying.
---
#10_Sovereign_Posted 4/1/2013 2:58:49 PM
FF_Fiend posted...
I'd rather have a more seamless online interface with more players online (only because of a larger install base)

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but why would I care about the install base when I'm trying to play the game? The game that the time and work and story was put into to develop, not the multiplayer, which is just sectioned off areas of locales from SP?

Gamers today put WAY too much emphasis on competitive multi...so much so that more shooters were developed, more games had it shoehorned in, and games without it (most, anyway) suffered terrible sales. It's no wonder iOS games sell as much as they do when every gamer wants nothing but meaningless time wasters, and the average for a game nowadays is a measly 5-8 hours long.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.