What the hell is the point of console wars?

#1LoshadtPosted 3/28/2013 1:39:03 PM
I visit the front page of Gamefaqs and the first post on the Popular Board Topics section is some silly troll topic. I understand that this is nothing new, but this fact doesn't make it any less sad.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#2IloveElitePosted 3/28/2013 1:41:50 PM
Teens with fragile egos are desperate to know their console is the best and the rest are crap. Yes, its pitiful and pointless.
#3CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/28/2013 1:42:41 PM
Well, Console wars USED to be fun.

To me they're about the GIFs and Memes that are all just silly and inconsequential.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/mousedown/revo.swf
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#4Marioguy5Posted 3/28/2013 1:43:49 PM(edited)
*Replying to OP*
I agree 110%. If you want Sony to win, buy a PS<insert>. Then play it. If you want Microsoft to win, buy an Xbox. Then play it. If you want Nintendo to win, buy a Wii U. Then play it.
In general, I find that buying products boosts sales more than trolling on GameFAQs does.
And you may quote me on that.
---
If you are a Jesus Freak and 100% proud of it, put this as your signature. I am also a young-earth creationist, and I watch MLP:FiM.
Haters gonna hate!
#5Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 1:47:34 PM
*Replying to OP*
I agree 110%. If you want Sony to win, buy a PS<insert>. Then play it. If you want Microsoft to win, buy an Xbox. Then play it. If you want Nintendo to win, buy a Wii U. Then play it.
In general, I find that buying products boosts sales more than trolling on GameFAQs does.
And you may quote me on that.

But that's the thing, how does a consumer "win" a console war? I would assume the victory conditions would be 1: sold well and 2: had good games. I can't understand how another console selling more or less would have any bearing upon the matter.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#6fhsfootball74Posted 3/28/2013 1:48:43 PM
Insecure fanboys that feel like they have to resort to d*** measuring to try and prove that they made the right choice.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#7SocranPosted 3/28/2013 1:49:04 PM
Loshadt posted...
I understand that this is nothing new, but this fact doesn't make it any less sad.

---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#8Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 1:50:10 PM
From: fhsfootball74 | Posted: 3/28/2013 4:48:43 PM | #006
Insecure fanboys that feel like they have to resort to d*** measuring to try and prove that they made the right choice.

You're probably right, post-purchase rationalization seems to be the reason.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#9redluigi11Posted 3/28/2013 1:50:15 PM
its stupid people fighting stupid people over something stupid
---
Average people are starting to wake up to the fact that EA is a messed up business
Feel the terror of READING! -Merasmus
#10MoegittoPosted 3/28/2013 1:51:33 PM
The only real console war was between the Sega Genesis and the SNES, all this crap going on now is people trying to justify their own purchase. We got three systems that literally share 60% of the current game library, People blatantly over look facts to hang onto one "rumor" so they can bash another system/person, this board has turned into a 50/50 ****-athon because half the people troll their asses off and the other half blindly defend a system by ignoring the facts and then stating false information which is EXACTLY what the trolls want you to do so they can loop you in an argument that has no balance. I see people claim "I'm happy with my purchase", but then they get furious when someone they don't know says something about their system. If this board would grow up then maybe Gamefaqs could get around to focusing on getting rid of all the alts...
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121