Lets have a civilized discussion. Realistically what are Nintendo's options?

#11VanderZooPosted 3/30/2013 12:00:39 AM
Nintendo hasn't had good 3rd party since the SNES, so, like, lets just stop acting like this is a big deal or something. It's to be expected.
#12bigjclassicPosted 3/30/2013 12:03:06 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
Honestly I think all they need to do is hang on and watch their competition implode.

I hold no ill will against MS or Sony but the modern development mindset of taking massive losses on hardware combined with $100 million dollar game budgets will be their undoing.

Slow and steady, they need to just keep doing their own thing and court the indies and up&coming devs like they're doing because those guys are the future, not games that need to sell 5 million copies to break even.

---
NNID(WiiU): Ryusaki_J PSN: classicviolence
My channel: youtube.com/classicviolence
#13DemonDog666Posted 3/30/2013 12:07:56 AM
Lord_Kagato posted...
Remember when this was a problem discussed in 2006 when it was revealed that the Wii wasn't as powerful as 360/PS3 and would therefore lose 3rd party support?

Remember when the Wii won the entire generation?

wii had crappy third party support and saying it won the generation is lol.

ChipChipperson posted...
Honestly I think all they need to do is hang on and watch their competition implode.

I hold no ill will against MS or Sony but the modern development mindset of taking massive losses on hardware combined with $100 million dollar game budgets will be their undoing.

Slow and steady, they need to just keep doing their own thing and court the indies and up&coming devs like they're doing because those guys are the future, not games that need to sell 5 million copies to break even.

1. there are ps3 games that profit off of 300k sales, any studio that can budget will be fine, you don't need to make a 100 mil game to take advantage of stronger hardware.

2. Stronger hardware actually makes games cheaper it costs a hell of alot less to make a snes level game on ps3 then it does the snes and it will cost less to make a ps3 level game on ps4 then ps3.

3. Both Sony and MS have a more indie friendly environment then Nintendo and more indie support too alot more.
#14jillwarrenPosted 3/30/2013 12:50:23 AM
They have a few options they can pursue:

1: Ignore what everyone is saying and make sure that these upcoming games are fantastic.

2: Fight back by revoking licenses.

3: Spend lots of money for a minimum return.

That's it, as far as I can see. The thing is, they are being crapped on by everybody, and have been since they revealed the console. Their tech demos were fantastic HD, and real time, but they were immediately smeared by DF lying about them (remember, in the same article DF "confirmed" that the Zelda tech demo was 720 by watching a video feed, and then went on to state that it was impossible to analyse Nintendo demos because they never released them. There were feeds of the other demos as well. The fact is they never analysed a thing, and no one has because no one has the demos) and gaming media jumping on the band wagon. This is just a continuation of an attitude among some developers that anything Nintendo is automatically crappy. We all remember at the E3 where Bioshock Infinity was announced they both mocked the Wii-mote and praised the move because "it has buttons."

Nintendo reached out to third party developers, and they all sang the Wii-U's praises in public, then took a crap on it. Epic has always mocked the Wii-U. DF goes out of its way to publish articles that are either entirely guesswork or provably wrong.

So the question is, when does Nintendo draw a line. If I were Iwata, I would be pretty pissed that developers were openly mocking the machine I was trying to sell.

If I were Nintendo, I would take the following actions:

I would purchase Sega outright. I would get a contact with Valve and get the Steam Box converted into a Nintendo sponsored product. In one swoop it would take care of the problem of 3rd.Party support. I would also get with someone, like Crytech or Square, and contract their engines. Think of it as a discount program, where Nintendo offers financial benefits for developers to make it more affordable to make a Cry engine/Luminous game for the Wii-U. I would also tell everyone would openly mocked what I was trying to do to go screw themselves.

That's me. What about you TC; what would you do?
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#15AlexPumaPosted 3/30/2013 1:02:31 AM
Do what Microsoft did and buy exclusives. Its not like Nintendo doesn't have enough money to persuade Konami that making the next Castlevania: Lords of Shadow a Wii U exclusive. And put it in the contract that they can't just pull a Resident Evil 4 and announce ports to other consoles until 3 months minimum after the game's release.

Also, they should hire Cliffy B and give him a studio to make a new IP, or even direct the next Metroid. I'm sure he'd be doing cartwheels if he was offered a job at Nintendo.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#16tigg06Posted 3/30/2013 1:03:36 AM
I believe right not the slow sales have made devs look the other way for right now. Nintendo hasn't been a gathering ground for 3rd party dev in quite some time, but they have some that find their way in.

I think nintendo needs to get their big first party titles out, some that show what the wii u can do, and that it can be profitable for other devs. I believe once sales start to pick up and come in, more third party devs will take the leap.

Wii u is capable of a lot more then we have seen so far, even that unreal 4 engine dev who laughed about the wii u admitted when he tried to explain why he laughed, he himself admitted that the wii u was capable of running the engine, but the was very little money atm the moment to go through the work to make it with the wii u in mind.

nintendo show they can make some money with the wii u, it should spark interest from other devs. But nintendo has survived for a long time without a large third party support system, I don't want to see that happen with the Wii u , but the ball is in nintendo's court, they need to decide what they want to do with it.
---
psn - tiggman ninid - christophers xboxlive - tigg06
#17crimsonclaw111Posted 3/30/2013 1:10:03 AM
They need some goddamn sales. Nobody wants to create games on a virtually nonexistent system.

E3 better reign in some nukes because otherwise Nintendo is done for. And none of this "it'll be available Q3" kind of crap. We need hard release dates of some sort to actually create hype.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#18DBPanterAPosted 3/30/2013 1:43:49 AM
silverbullt posted...
SmashBro25 posted...

For me, and I'm sure for a lot of others, Nintendo systems are all about Nintendo games,

This is the main reason Nintendo flops third-party wise.

Publishers are very aware of this sentiment. Can't say I blame them in this economy.

This is a major reason right here. People that buy Nintendo ONLY for Nintendo games.

Look, I love me some Nintendo. I have since I received the NES on my 7th b-day. But part of the allure is playing not only the Nintendo exclusives most of us love, but also the 3rd party games. When I analyze my gaming collection from the NES until now, the one thing I notice is I always actually bought more 3rd party through the gamecube days. Then, DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, those ratios started tilting in favor of Nintendo.

There are plenty of deals today where you can get brand new 3rd party software for half off due to terrible sales. All of these games are worth $60, but $30 is simple insane.

Until people actually stop waiting for the next Nintendo game to come out, and actually buy a non-Nintendo game, this will always be the issue of 3rd parties not coming to Nintendo.

On another tangent, the idea that 85% of games must be released in the Sept.-Dec. window is asinine. Yes, it's the holiday season, but people have money and time the rest of the year. Nintendo could actually benefit by releasing games in the late winter to early summer when there is little to no competition. The only caveat is that their fiscal year ends March 31 so they don't want to release a game near the end and not get all the sales numbers in (part of the reason I was shocked by the Luigi's Mansion release date, but maybe they knew it would sell like crazy).
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#19cb52211Posted 3/30/2013 2:36:40 AM(edited)
Continue to carve out a niche market. Microsoft and Sony can battle over the Western market, but the Japanese console market isn't really as strong compared to the handheld market. Nintendo should try to get more support from Japanese companies to make games for the Wii U and then work with them to get the games released in the US and Europe. It would require minimum investment from Nintendo and would generate minimum returns, but it's still a feasible business model (just look at Atlus, NIS America, and Aksys Games).

wugeezy posted...
They also need to speak up about their plans. The Feb Nintendo direct was great, but it was never followed up again and the Wii u needs that hype more than ever.

I agree completely. I'm sure there're some exciting projects for the Wii U we aren't aware of, but frankly we need to hear about them. I understand Nintendo wanting to save announcements until E3, but that's months away and right now there aren't many games to look forward to. Heck, some gameplay footage from Bayonetta 2 and Monolithsoft's X along with a teaser for Smash Bros would at least reassure buyers that great games are coming.
#20StarBladeEdgePosted 3/30/2013 3:09:49 AM
but .......but ....2 things are very strange about tc...

1. he's a new user

2. he uses a name from a sony exclusive game '' mr drippy'' = ni no kuni

can we trust him my broddas and sisters ?