So wait, why is everyone saying the WiiU will fail if....

#11DanteSInferno84Posted 3/30/2013 2:05:43 PM
The comparison of the Wii U to the Dreamcast as people keep going is far off. If you link the factors and current and past elements, the Wii U stands more to have alot more in common with the PS3 than the Dreamcast. Think about it, the PS2 was a juggernaut of its generation, much like the Wii. The PS3 was a HUGE stumble (albiet it still sold a bit better at the start than the Wii U has).

So, in reality, a surer sign that Nintendo is going to go the way of the Dreamcast, would be the success or failure of the PS4. If Sony can turn things around with the PS4, then you can't write Nintendo off just yet (but the pressure will then be on Nintendo, much like it is on Sony). If the PS4 fails.... well, then things are alot shakier than even us fanboys want to admit.

Which really, kinda leaves MS in a funny spot. It very likely can comfortably just sit a 2nd this generation, or frankly return to 3rd again and likely still be fine. There really IS no pressure on it, other than it has at least offer what the Wii U does, and be a bit stronger hardware wise. I mean, there is almost no high expectations of games or anything there either (strange seeing as its library of exclusives are all in a strange limbo spot).

I guess another factor few people really focus on now, has been the point in which system sales tend to really take off. A good launch library can help with healthy launch adoptions, but its not till we get the "slim" or secondary reworked models (usually for a strange reason at a cheaper price) that sales really jump (helped both the 360 and PS3 catch up to Wii sales). Overall, we're all trying to play the pyschic on the future of a system that has really not been tested, or given anything to test upon it.

And the Wii U is far from a Virtual Boy issue, as NO ONE wanted or enjoyed a Virtual Boy, but a large number of people who own a Wii U ARE happy with it... just we're in limbo waiting for our worthwhile games (Lego City and MH3U being decent tide over though)
#1221_21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 2:45:44 PM
I told you. Nintendo isn't going anywhere, and we'll see this board once Smash gets released.
---
Currently playing:
999, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Scribblenauts Unlimited
#13jairusmonillasPosted 3/30/2013 2:47:58 PM
Mario and Zelda failed to save N64 and Gamecube. The only reason Wii was a success sales wise not quality was because of Wii Sports + Motion Control. Wii U failed to impress with its version of innovation which is a pathethic ripoff of tablets.
---
"I just laugh at the questionUnreal Engine 4, were not PS3, 360 or Wii U. Its next-gen technology. Thats what were aiming for" - Mark Rein
#1421_21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:26:33 PM
jairusmonillas posted...
Mario and Zelda failed to save N64 and Gamecube. The only reason Wii was a success sales wise not quality was because of Wii Sports + Motion Control. Wii U failed to impress with its version of innovation which is a pathethic ripoff of tablets.

I don't know why n64 failed, but Gamecube failed because Sony's PS 2 was dominating. However, Nintendo still sell well with Mario and Zelda, and I'm surprised that didn't help the gamecube or n64.
---
Currently playing:
999, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Scribblenauts Unlimited
#15songoku0206Posted 3/30/2013 4:39:57 PM
These guys makes some valid points http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_957728&feature=iv&src_vid=p0xTJkeyN54&v=p0xTJkeyN54#t=36s
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Cloudstrife0206
#16DanteSInferno84Posted 3/30/2013 4:49:01 PM
21_21 posted...
jairusmonillas posted...

I don't know why n64 failed, but Gamecube failed because Sony's PS 2 was dominating. However, Nintendo still sell well with Mario and Zelda, and I'm surprised that didn't help the gamecube or n64.

The woes of the N64 and Gamecube were many, but the reason Zelda and Mario didn't help was simple: Sony was pumping out games left and right like it was going out of style. And it didnt help Nintendo that often Sony games would be cheaper too. (at one point I was able to get 2 PS1 games for the price of 1 Nintendo game)
#1721_21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:51:44 PM
songoku0206 posted...
These guys makes some valid points http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_957728&feature=iv&src_vid=p0xTJkeyN54&v=p0xTJkeyN54#t=36s

Well that was quite informative. Thing is, Nintendo needs to treat their other IPs properly, too. I need my Custom Robo!
---
Currently playing:
#18arvilinoPosted 3/30/2013 4:56:55 PM(edited)
DanteSInferno84 posted...
21_21 posted...
jairusmonillas posted...

The woes of the N64 and Gamecube were many, but the reason Zelda and Mario didn't help was simple: Sony was pumping out games left and right like it was going out of style. And it didnt help Nintendo that often Sony games would be cheaper too. (at one point I was able to get 2 PS1 games for the price of 1 Nintendo game)

Yeah a good comparison would be some of the popular games on the PS1 versus the N64. There were about 3 entries in the popular playstation series games(Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy) for every 1-2 titles of main series Nintendo games.
#19Soggy13Posted 3/30/2013 4:57:13 PM
21_21 posted...
jairusmonillas posted...

The PSX came out like a year and a half before the N64. It had a jump on the generation which really helped them much like the 360. Discs were much cheaper to produce than cartridges and at the time held more memory for bigger longer better games. These cheaper discs lowered production costs which made more money for devs. more money means more support so many devs made the just to Sony simply because it was smarter business.
---
PSN/LIVE: MassacredOne
Me thinks words is hard...
#20ArabrockermanXPosted 3/30/2013 4:58:10 PM
crimsonclaw111 posted...
Because Nintendo is 6-7 years behind other companies who already have made the transition to HD. As a result, they are struggling to develop games and thus will release less first party titles than before.

Not to mention Zelda and Smash are pretty ****ing far off.

Smash will be out some time 2014.