Wii U should have more retro/old-school gaming

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/30/2013 1:26:14 PM
The best part of the Wii, for me, was the resurrection of side-scrolling platform games (i.e. 2D playing field) from the SNES days. Throwbacks like these were great; I feel the Wii U should continue that trend and resurrect more ideas from the NES/SNES/Genesis era.

In addition, I'd like to see it bring back ideas from the PS1/PS2 era, particularly when it comes to console RPGs, something that was driven off to the handheld market. And everyone insists that 3DS/Vita aren't consoles.

I mean seriously, all that whining about third-party support makes it seem like people want this system to have the exact same games as on RRROD 360 or Nextbox. This Xbox hegemony is tiresome.
#2lowuwPosted 3/30/2013 1:34:45 PM
We need 2d beat em ups to make a comeback.
#3Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 1:40:11 PM
lowuw posted...
We need 2d beat em ups to make a comeback.

You mean like Double Dragon?
#4MechaKoopa5000Posted 3/30/2013 1:43:47 PM(edited)
It's well on it's way already. DuckTales Remastered and ShovelKnight both look incredible. I'm still hopefully for a retro Mega Man 11 or Mega Man X game in the next few years, too. That new 2D Yoshi game's coming soonish, too.
#5S_BrickPosted 3/30/2013 1:44:46 PM
Yes, definitely! My personal prediction is we're going to get a lot of experimental and niche titles on Wii U, as it seems a lot of mainstream titles will be skipping the console. But really this isn't too far outside the norm for Nintendo, though, I think it will be somewhat more pronounced this generation.
#6Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 2:36:51 PM
S_Brick posted...
Yes, definitely! My personal prediction is we're going to get a lot of experimental and niche titles on Wii U, as it seems a lot of mainstream titles will be skipping the console. But really this isn't too far outside the norm for Nintendo, though, I think it will be somewhat more pronounced this generation.

I'd certainly rather have that than the overhyped "multiplats" everyone treats as sacred.
#7Garfield64Posted 3/30/2013 2:45:22 PM
Get a Vita if you want Retro Gaming.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#8Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 3:04:36 PM(edited)
Garfield64 posted...

So....should I take this is as an admission that console gaming is a worse experience than handhelds? The irrational resistance to anything reminiscent of PS2 and earlier systems seems to underscore how unpleasant the console gamers are.
#9Ghost-inZeShellPosted 3/30/2013 3:12:15 PM
Nintendo's 30th anniversary sale.
Retro NES and SNES titles on sale for 30 for 30 days each.

Super Metroid is coming in May.
#10Garfield64Posted 3/30/2013 5:21:33 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
Garfield64 posted...

So....should I take this is as an admission that console gaming is a worse experience than handhelds? The irrational resistance to anything reminiscent of PS2 and earlier systems seems to underscore how unpleasant the console gamers are.

I'm saying retro gaming is something I love and with sheer insane number of old ports and indie games Vita is getting. It's great for retro gamers.

If you want SNES/NES era get a razer blade and emulators.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!