Is hating Nintendo and all things related to it the new "thing"?

#1Pac12345Posted 3/31/2013 3:40:05 AM
Honest question. I have noticed that regardless of all the things Nintendo has done in its entire history GOOD AND BAD, gamers are now more focused on the bad and they have actually relegated all constructive criticism (Or almost all of it) and have instead pushed for a more aggressive stance against Nintendo.

It kind of reminds me of the hate Disney got in the early to mid 2000's; all the cool teens hated Disney back then, then for some reason (I stopped following the story) all the hate ceased.

Maybe it's like an actual phase all long-standing companies go through in their history?

I mean I get that people point out flaws and criticize the mistakes Nintendo made and keeps making (Cause let's face it, Nintendo isn't perfect and sometimes they do stupid things), but man, people have gone way overboard with it! Seriously, like you can't hear anything positive regarding Nintendo no matter where you go or who you talk with.

I am actually more inclined to say that more than anything, it's like an actual phase Nintendo is going through right now. In fact, I will dare and make a bold statement: In a few years (Maybe a few gens), other gaming companies will start getting the ssame amount of hate Nintendo is getting right now.

Thoughts?
#2shaunmePosted 3/31/2013 3:50:52 AM
Wii onwards= bad
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#3Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/31/2013 4:03:00 AM
I think they are puzzled at how the "kiddy systems" - DS and Wii - could sell significantly more than the Xbox 360/PS3 and are lashing out at the ensuing cognitive dissonance. The flimsy and rather spurious excuses for the Wii ("only casuals and soccer moms and retirement homes bought it"), seem to further suggest they are unwilling to accept the "cool kids" are actually a minority demographic. They don't seem to have any such excuses for DS and PS2, which sold even more with less power than the Wii.

Further, I think the fact that Nintendo is deliberately choosing to focus on innovation over raw power is raising some uncomfortable questions about the dependance on powerhouse consoles that they don't want to ask. The fact ultimately remains, the HD consoles were all outsold by much weaker game systems like the Wii, DS, and PS2, and I don't think they like the implications of that one bit.
#4SocranPosted 3/31/2013 4:12:21 AM(edited)
Emerald_Melios posted...
Further, I think the fact that Nintendo is deliberately choosing to focus on innovation over raw power is raising some uncomfortable questions about the dependance on powerhouse consoles that they don't want to ask. The fact ultimately remains, the HD consoles were all outsold by much weaker game systems like the Wii, DS, and PS2, and I don't think they like the implications of that one bit.

Y'know, every time I hear someone referring to somebody as "holding back the industry", I always imagine a Blocker Lemming keeping everybody from jumping off a cliff before the Builder is finished. Given the ridiculous costs of making games today, the fact that devs can't take risks on sales, and the massive losses reported by so many of them, it seems like we really need that right now. Of course, the Blocker always gets turned into a Bomber when its job is done...

Also, I've seen a hell of a lot of people literally refer to Nintendo as "evil" for not catering to that exact person's wants, specifically. Like, holy crap, not spending $50,000,000 on a game that only 50,000 people will buy is "evil"?
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#5fuzi11Posted 3/31/2013 4:14:02 AM
Hating Nintendo is the 'new' thing since Gamecube
#6its_mattPosted 3/31/2013 4:14:39 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
I think they are puzzled at how the "kiddy systems" - DS and Wii - could sell significantly more than the Xbox 360/PS3 and are lashing out at the ensuing cognitive dissonance. The flimsy and rather spurious excuses for the Wii ("only casuals and soccer moms and retirement homes bought it"), seem to further suggest they are unwilling to accept the "cool kids" are actually a minority demographic. They don't seem to have any such excuses for DS and PS2, which sold even more with less power than the Wii.

Well if Nintendo want to stay out of the tech war with their new console then that really is up to them. But I think both Sony and Microsoft are going to have to release hardware that is a significant step forward other wise what is the point?
#7GLDanzegoPosted 3/31/2013 4:37:50 AM
New? Not at all. Hating Nintendo has been the cool thing to do ever since the first round of NES owners hit their teenage years. That's the point at which those adolescents believe themselves to be mature, become highly self conscious and seek the approval of their peers above all else. Anything that can be remotely construed as "kiddy" is not only avoided, but is subject to attack in these kid's ironic quest to be "mature".

Eventually, these foolish children are meant to actually mature and don't care so much about image anymore. Some, on the other hand, never do move past that adolescent development phase. The thing is, in our society, an increasing number of people don't make that jump until much later in their lives...if ever.

That's precisely why you see dolts like the ones we have around these parts wasting their lives going on these ridiculous hate campaigns of different videogame machine brands (of all things), rather than simply playing what they prefer and leaving others to do the same. Inside, they're still those immature little kids who are trying to prove that they're all grown up.

Then, of course, at the extreme other end of the spectrum, you have the guys in their 30's and beyond who wear sweatpants and Pokemon shirts. I couldn't tell you what's up with THOSE guys.

--
#8AceMosPosted 3/31/2013 5:33:39 AM
fuzi11 posted...

try the snes

sega started it with there nintendont adds
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#9jackorhoadsPosted 3/31/2013 5:41:47 AM
AceMos posted...
fuzi11 posted...

try the snes

sega started it with there nintendont adds

ahh I remember those :) then the SEGA! at the start/end of the ad. Remember the one Sony had with Crash Bandicoot "calling out" Mario. Fun times.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#10Megaman OmegaPosted 3/31/2013 5:53:19 AM
Is hating Nintendo and all things related to it the new "thing"?

It's definitely not a new thing, some haters on here have already been dedicating their entire lifetime to being bitter towards Nintendo.
---
Of course 333.33M is 1/3 of a billion Nintendog. Rage-o-meter increasing, intelligence decreasing - CorruptedRPG demonstrating his thought process