Will nintendo ever make another gimmick-less console?

#31deathslovePosted 3/31/2013 12:13:24 PM
excitebike64 posted...
shinra35800 posted...
excitebike64 posted...
shinra35800 posted...
Gimmicks are things NOT REALLY NEEDED but are used as novelties. Your comprehension is backwards. Your logic would make everything in the entire universe null and void.

A gimmick is anything that makes what you have sell because the competition does not have it. How you can see the DS alone as not a gimmick is showing how you really need to understand gimmick as a word, first.

shinra35800 posted...
Your logic would make everything in the entire universe null and void.

Edit: and there would be no need for the distinction of the word gimmick to begin with if everything in the unverse is rendered as a gimmick.....

In technology, almost everything is gimmick based. Yes, this is true.
IPhone is a gimmick. Droid is a gimmick. 3D TV is a gimmick. Smart TVs are gimmicks.

I think you guys are taking it way out of context.
The TC probably meant
DS- two screens
3DS- 3D
wii- motion controls
wiiU- tablet

While every nintendo system before just played games (and had add ons)
I agree with him nintendo should make their next console just play games, with better online/account systems of course since that is a part of gaming now.

Every system had a gimmick add on that most people did not buy. But "it can do everything" is not a gimmick, it is a slogan.
#32shinra35800Posted 3/31/2013 12:13:51 PM
excitebike64 posted...
shinra35800 posted...
excitebike64 posted...
shinra35800 posted...
Gimmicks are things NOT REALLY NEEDED but are used as novelties. Your comprehension is backwards. Your logic would make everything in the entire universe null and void.

A gimmick is anything that makes what you have sell because the competition does not have it. How you can see the DS alone as not a gimmick is showing how you really need to understand gimmick as a word, first.

shinra35800 posted...
Your logic would make everything in the entire universe null and void.

Edit: and there would be no need for the distinction of the word gimmick to begin with if everything in the unverse is rendered as a gimmick.....

In technology, almost everything is gimmick based. Yes, this is true.
IPhone is a gimmick. Droid is a gimmick. 3D TV is a gimmick. Smart TVs are gimmicks.

base objects are not gimmicks because they provide a solid use. in your way of thinking, orange juice is a gimmick to get ppl to get more oranges......

if a cell phone was a gimmick, then why are the original phones basically already phased out?
#33shinra35800Posted 3/31/2013 12:18:20 PM
deathslove posted...

The TC probably meant
DS- two screens
3DS- 3D
wii- motion controls
wiiU- tablet

I agree with him nintendo should make their next console just play games, with better online/account systems of course since that is a part of gaming now.

Every system had a gimmick add on that most people did not buy. But "it can do everything" is not a gimmick, it is a slogan.

Only thing in that list that is a gimmick is 3D. because it can be turned off and is not needed to play a game. everything else provides actual use and/or are an evolved set of technologies. evolved tech does not equal gimmick. btw, gimmick does not equal bad.
#34deathslovePosted 3/31/2013 12:22:34 PM
shinra35800 posted...
deathslove posted...

The TC probably meant
DS- two screens
3DS- 3D
wii- motion controls
wiiU- tablet

Only thing in that list that is a gimmick is 3D. because it can be turned off and is not needed to play a game. everything else provides actual use and/or are an evolved set of technologies. evolved tech does not equal gimmick. btw, gimmick does not equal bad.

The reason I consider them a gimmick is because they could be optional or add-ons if the didn't force them on us. (except for the two screens I guess.)
Montion controls and 3D are optional add ons for other systems but forced in nintendos. The tablet is like streaming your game on the vita, again could be optional but forced on us.
#35Crazy_tank51Posted 3/31/2013 12:30:42 PM
Definition of gimmick from dictionary.com:

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

In short, anything you can use to make people notice/buy your product. Wii's "waggle waggle" and Wii U's tablet controller is as much a gimmick as the PS4's specs or Xbox Live.
---
Not changing this sig until I have enough time, incentive, and attention span large enough to change this sig.
#36shinra35800Posted 3/31/2013 12:55:12 PM
deathslove posted...
shinra35800 posted...
deathslove posted...

The TC probably meant
DS- two screens
3DS- 3D
wii- motion controls
wiiU- tablet

The reason I consider them a gimmick is because they could be optional or add-ons if the didn't force them on us. (except for the two screens I guess.)
Montion controls and 3D are optional add ons for other systems but forced in nintendos. The tablet is like streaming your game on the vita, again could be optional but forced on us.

being optional would make them a gimmick. because it is not optional, that is why it is not a gimmick. honestly it is more of an anti-piracy measure than something new for ppl to play with.