Do you think the upcoming next-gen console Ouya will hurt Virtual Console sales?

#1AdamLazarusoPosted 4/1/2013 1:47:54 AM
Legal or not, the potential for emulation on the Ouya could hit the Virtual Console hard. Do you think Nintendo should be concerned about this?
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#2FoppePosted 4/1/2013 1:49:20 AM
Not more than what Wii piracy hurt VC sales.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3EoinPosted 4/1/2013 2:00:07 AM
The Ouya is intentionally aiming for a niche market. It won't - and its creators don't intend it to - sell millions of units. Any impact it has on the industry will be on a small scale.

Another way of looking at this is that the easiest way to avoid paying a few dollars for Virtual Console games isn't to buy a US$99 games console.
#4GamerguymassPosted 4/1/2013 2:08:25 AM
I don't know what this is, but from your post I gather that it is something that will, or at least can, emulate old games? If thats the intended purpose then they will be sued into the stone age and driven into bankruptcy by pretty much every game company out there. While I'm sure there might be a couple, as far as I am aware the majority of companies don't support emulation. Especially with Sony and Nintendo selling old games in their online stores there is no way they would let this happen.
#5EoinPosted 4/1/2013 2:20:00 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
I don't know what this is, but from your post I gather that it is something that will, or at least can, emulate old games?

It's an Android-based games console with a dedicated traditional-style controller and its own games store that has picked up a decently large developer following. It's intended to encourage more open development of games for TV-based consoles, and as such development is easy, standardised (each system also acts as a dev kit), and low-cost.

Gamerguymass posted...
If thats the intended purpose then they will be sued into the stone age and driven into bankruptcy by pretty much every game company out there. While I'm sure there might be a couple, as far as I am aware the majority of companies don't support emulation. Especially with Sony and Nintendo selling old games in their online stores there is no way they would let this happen.

You seem to have fallen for the standard misconceptions. Emulation (and emulator software) is legal. There are dozens upon dozens of machines out there that come with emulators built in, there's thousands of sites hosting emulators, and they're all legal, and any legal action taken against them would fail. What's not legal is distribution of ROMs (or ISOs) of commercial software, which is why no machines include those ROMs (apart from the small number of officially licensed emulator machines).
#6MarioFanaticXVPosted 4/1/2013 2:21:13 AM
Emulation existed on the Wii and the PSP, neither of which killed the industry, or even seemed to adversely effect sales.
---
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:"
1 Tim 6:20
#7FoppePosted 4/1/2013 2:27:40 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
I don't know what this is, but from your post I gather that it is something that will, or at least can, emulate old games? If thats the intended purpose then they will be sued into the stone age and driven into bankruptcy by pretty much every game company out there. While I'm sure there might be a couple, as far as I am aware the majority of companies don't support emulation. Especially with Sony and Nintendo selling old games in their online stores there is no way they would let this happen.

It is a tiny cube with a Tegra 3 chip running Android 4.1.
It will sell for $99 and all systems can be used as development kits with no license fees.
It's not made for emulators, but we all know that they will come.
Suing them for this is like suing Colt because somebody shot you with a M1911.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#8sanas_thirituPosted 4/1/2013 2:39:30 AM
who o who is AdamLazaruso?
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#9FoppePosted 4/1/2013 2:47:03 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
who o who is AdamLazaruso?

https://twitter.com/AdamLazaruso/status/200325000346091520
---