wiiU vs, ps4 vs, xbox720. can we calmly discuss?

#1paiprPosted 4/1/2013 4:06:04 PM
Now I feel if I fall in any camp its the Nintendo one. I want to start with that. I've had many consoles in my 29 years of life and the one consistent is I always have a Nintendo.

and much as I prefer nintendos way of doing things (innovation vs up power) I can't help but wonder how much longer Nintendo can lag behind graphically. Yet again I prefer innovation over power. Get me a creative game that looks nice, vs a ridiculously realistic game that is meh in creative ideas and I will lean towards the prior most days.

that said many developers are already shirking the wiiU, and the new Sony/microsoft consoles aren't even out yet. And with the wiiU getting more ports (albeit with perhaps some nice new stuff added here or there) the console is still missing out on new properties as well as getting shafted on multiconsole stuff.

and that is where I see there being an issue, if the only multi console games the wiiU gets are a port 6-12 months after the games release many of the masses will ignore the system.

thoughts? Please lets discuss, and not flame or anything of the such.
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm
#2Warmonger222Posted 4/1/2013 4:12:13 PM
I think with the rising cost of making games, the third parties that try to completely ignore Nintendo will go bankrupt eventually, and hopefully then some will realize that they need Nintendo. I just hope this happens sooner rather than later, and that most of the companies damaged by this arent the good ones, but rather EA, Activision, Squeenix, etc. (cant think of any that are more likely to go bankrupt that are bad)
---
CoD claims to be M for Mature, but it is really M for Manchildren - Emerald_Melios
#3paipr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 4:34:40 PM
True, but with the other two releasing there stronger consoles many third party companies would have to release a potentially obviously lower quality (graphically) game if they did bring it to the wiiU and sadly many gamers tend to go for the prettier version.

and as you pointed out with rising game development costs they would need almost a whole other team to develop the lower quality game. Which would only result in more cost for development.
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm
#4jtr219Posted 4/1/2013 4:50:49 PM
paipr posted...
and much as I prefer nintendos way of doing things (innovation vs up power) I can't help but wonder how much longer Nintendo can lag behind graphically.

I actually think the opposite will happen. Advancements in graphics will become less and less significant to the average consumer and it will become harder to sell the more powerful console based on that alone. The PS4 is already an underwhelming leap compared to the leap we have had in the past. I think in the future consoles will have to distinguish themselves less on the power of their processors and more on the innovations and first party lineups they offer.

Especially when this power comes at a price. Game development has become incredibly expensive and it seems to have scared many developers from taking risks. A lower power console that has unique games and features with HD graphics that, while not the best, are nevertheless still stunning, will probably become a stronger selling point in the future. It could even be right now once Nintendo pushes out a strong lineup. I just don't think the power route will continue to be viable in the future.

Here is an interesting article that goes into some of the costs of modern game design and how it is expected to increase:

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/07/02/the-rise-of-costs-the-fall-of-gaming/
---
NNID: jtr219
#5GoldenSun3DSPosted 4/1/2013 4:52:54 PM
Gamefaqs?
Calmly discuss competing consoles?
BWAHAHAHA!!
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4! http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha!" - Basilio
#6stekim40Posted 4/1/2013 5:02:07 PM
Nintendo, innovation?

Then why do we have 500 Mario games and 300 Mariokart games?
---
Xyzzy!
#7rudgerlightPosted 4/1/2013 5:04:53 PM(edited)
paipr posted...
True, but with the other two releasing there stronger consoles many third party companies would have to release a potentially obviously lower quality (graphically) game if they did bring it to the wiiU and sadly many gamers tend to go for the prettier version.

and as you pointed out with rising game development costs they would need almost a whole other team to develop the lower quality game. Which would only result in more cost for development.

This has never been true. 2D Saturn games always sold worse than their Playstation counterparts yet always looked prettier and ran better. Many multiplat games looked and ran better on Xbox/Gamecube compared with the PS2, but the PS2 still had higher sales. 360/PS3 game sales don't seem at all related to which version is best, but merely which system the user owns. Heck, the 360 may as well not even exist in Japan despite so many multiplatform games running better on 360 than PS3.

The majority of people just buy for the system they own, not which version is prettiest. You shouldn't confuse what niche people on gamefaqs might say or do compared to the general population (which actually determines the success or failure of a system).

At the end of the day, very few people actually care about having the best graphics, since if that were true, consoles would've died years ago as the PC dominates them all.

EDIT:
TLDR: PS2, Wii, DS and 3DS were all graphically inferior to their competition yet sold more. The argument that people buy the most powerful machine has never been true and honestly needs to die on these forums.
#8MathewMansonPosted 4/1/2013 5:06:35 PM
History has proven that power means nothing.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#9stop3Posted 4/1/2013 5:10:00 PM
I have a Wii U. I love it. But it's clear that it won't be getting all the 3rd party titles... so I'll have to get either a PS4 or the next Xbox. Not sure which to get.

I got the PS3 this last round and I was annoyed that nearly every multi-platform game was supposedly better on the Xbox 360... so I just didn't buy any multiplatform games. Problem solved!

I don't want to do that this time around... I want to back the winning horse. But there's no way to predict which horse that will be.
#10paipr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 5:16:58 PM
While I agree that power doesn't mean everything, there is the fact that many developers are not releasing there multiconsole games on the wiiU and those that do are releasing them months later, (save for the exception of rayman legnds but lets not even open that one up) by which point most have already played through the game a few times afterwards er a purchase on another console. And that's just the games that are released. And it goes with out saying many many great games have not shown up on a Nintendo console but have showed up on both xbox360/ and ps3. Some even on PC s well.
---