why do all super mario games have the same "story"

#21VanderZooPosted 4/2/2013 5:36:30 AM
Rasputin77 posted...
Why do they have ANY story? I don't need a reason to run from left to right, avoiding obstacles, defeating enemies, and using eye-hand coordination to maneuver a collection of pixels to its goal.

... do you?

"Whuu, no, but..." -- Thank you. The "no" part is all I'm looking for.

But then that's all you've reduced the game to; manoeuvring a collection of pixels to a goal. And then where does it end? I don't need Mario, Peach or Bowser to have interesting character designs. I don't need interesting backdrops to the levels, just make it a colourless obstacle course with a white background...
#22colt85Posted 4/2/2013 5:45:23 AM
Xfma100 posted...
FuNsH1nE posted...
Because Nintendo has always been mainly focused on gameplay. Believe it or not...video games are actually not movies/novels. It is nice to see a company that remembers that.

Metroid and Zelda games, while having good gameplay, also focus on story IIRC...

Metroid focus on story...

wat
---
http://calkubo.deviantart.com/
You know the user is a troll, you know the topic is just to provoke people, and yet you still post on it...
#23FuNsH1nEPosted 4/2/2013 5:45:30 AM
VanderZoo posted...
FuNsH1nE posted...
Because Nintendo has always been mainly focused on gameplay. Believe it or not...video games are actually not movies/novels. It is nice to see a company that remembers that.

That's not a valid argument, games can do both and you know it.

I personally would rather get 30-40 hours of gameplay out of a game that lacks a story than <10 hours with both a story/gameplay. There are rare exceptions that achieve length with good gameplay/story. If i'm paying $60 for something I better be playing it longer than 10 hours. I can watch the LOTR Trilogy in the same length of time for less money.
#24MD1500Posted 4/2/2013 5:47:47 AM
NSMBU is different - instead of Bowser kidnapping the princess and taking her to his castle, he invades her castle instead and kicks Mario out.
#25knightimexPosted 4/2/2013 5:50:05 AM
If you have a cash machine that makes money don't try to fix it if it's not broken.
---
Old School Style Games FTW!
#26DeathSoul2000Posted 4/2/2013 5:51:36 AM
FuNsH1nE posted...
VanderZoo posted...
FuNsH1nE posted...

I personally would rather get 30-40 hours of gameplay out of a game that lacks a story than <10 hours with both a story/gameplay. There are rare exceptions that achieve length with good gameplay/story. If i'm paying $60 for something I better be playing it longer than 10 hours. I can watch the LOTR Trilogy in the same length of time for less money.

in that case just stick with tetris/puzzle league if you're looking for games with endless gameplay.
#27jsb0714Posted 4/2/2013 5:52:25 AM
LOL at anyone who think Mario games now need a "story". Talk about adding something just for the sake of it.
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#28fawfulmark2Posted 4/2/2013 5:53:32 AM
Yaki_Orpus posted...
The only mario games I ever bought expecting there to be a story in them: Paper mario series.

also the Mario & Luigi games.

asfor the topic, I think the main reason is because the series has a Saturday-morning TV show plot,in that every week a new thing happens but most of the core events are the same. And to be fair that really fit's with that series' style-I mean there is nothing wrong with platformers getting a story(Jak, Ratchet) but some series ae better off without needing to try and create a deep story since it can shaft the main game over(Sonic,Spyro.)
---
Brawl FC: 2280-6185-9316
if you ever fight a spammy Pit or Marth, that might be my nephew.... just so you know.
#29VanderZooPosted 4/2/2013 5:53:56 AM
FuNsH1nE posted...
VanderZoo posted...
FuNsH1nE posted...

I disagree with this fallacy where games can only be one or the other. If Nintendo can make a Zelda game last 40 hours and give it some semblance of a story, they can do it with Mario as well.

I just think about the planning for a Mario game, Miyamoto walks into the conference room, they discuss how the game is going to play, then someone raises their hand and says "Ahh, Mr. Miyamoto, what about the story?", and he replies "Same thing we've been doing for the past 25 years, Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario goes to save her... All right good job everyone, lets go get lunch".

I can't help but consider it anything but lazy.
#30The_DOAMPosted 4/2/2013 5:55:00 AM
Mario's in order by story's Importance
(0. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
1. Mario and Luigi
2. Paper Mario (Sticker Star dropped this down)
3. 3d Mario's
4. 2d Mario's

The reason Nintendo IP's last is the lack of story. Giving a game a deep and involving story is effectively giving it an expiration date. The exception to this rule are of course games like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem. Just look at any of the major players for Microsoft and Sony. What story could possibly be told after Gears/God of War 3 or even Metal gear 4. Their story have killed them and each of those games were forced to make prequels and those don't last forever because we already know how they will end.

Nintendo doesn't trap itself in it's own story for any of it's IP's. The only exception I can think of is Earthbound/Mother At least I think I haven't played Mother 1 or 3 and years since I've played 2.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...