A warning to anyone buying digital games

#21icarus231Posted 4/2/2013 2:11:44 PM
NoGood56er posted...
icarus231 posted...
Well if you played it for a week and broke it then you shouldnt be returning it to the store anyway. That is not what a return policy is for. You should be sending it in to be fixed.

Ummm... No, that's why stores give you 30 days to return or exchange. Its not my fault it broke. The gamepad wasn't working correctly past the first day. So I should be able to quickly exchange it in store without going through Nintendo.

no store exchange is for if it is broken out of the box. not hey i have 30 days to return it no matter what i do
#221shadetail1Posted 4/2/2013 2:35:40 PM
icarus231 posted...
NoGood56er posted...
icarus231 posted...
Well if you played it for a week and broke it then you shouldnt be returning it to the store anyway. That is not what a return policy is for. You should be sending it in to be fixed.

Ummm... No, that's why stores give you 30 days to return or exchange. Its not my fault it broke. The gamepad wasn't working correctly past the first day. So I should be able to quickly exchange it in store without going through Nintendo.

no store exchange is for if it is broken out of the box. not hey i have 30 days to return it no matter what i do

Not true. It depends on the store, and plenty of them have return-for-any-reason policies.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#23icarus231Posted 4/2/2013 2:51:15 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
icarus231 posted...
NoGood56er posted...
icarus231 posted...

Not true. It depends on the store, and plenty of them have return-for-any-reason policies.

Still not the purpose of a return policy and its not nintendos fault if someone doesnt want to fix it.
#24jillwarrenPosted 4/2/2013 3:02:04 PM
Not a problem if you:

A: Contact Nintendo with to say your have a malfunctioning machine.
B: Send it in.
C: Receive a replacement/or repair.
D: Contact them about getting the games back on the new system.

When you go through Nintendo, from my experience, they replace anything for you. When you call them up and say, hey move my stuff, they say no.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#25STN79Posted 4/2/2013 3:12:38 PM(edited)
I thought you said your Wii U stopped connecting to your Gamepad. How does this mean the system is definitely broke? Might just be a faulty gamepad. Mine was doing the same thing and Nintendo just had me send in the pad itself.
#26ValeikaPosted 4/2/2013 3:19:52 PM
Store policies are typically manufacturing fault only. Then at check out they offer "anything happens" warranty for extra cash... which you only ever need when you don't pay for it. D:
---
LONG LIVE NINTENDO!
Top five: SHINING FORCE I&II, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Skies of Arcadia
#271shadetail1Posted 4/2/2013 3:26:37 PM
icarus231 posted...
Still not the purpose of a return policy and its not nintendos fault if someone doesnt want to fix it.

No, that's precisely the purpose of a return policy, if that particular store says it is. And it's actually quite reasonable that someone would want to be able to just return-and-replace right away, rather than bother with weeks worth of shipping and waiting.

Personally, I'm happy to cut Nintendo some slack for this, because they're changing their service quite a bit right now and that kind of thing takes time. But TC's annoyance is perfectly reasonable.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#28icarus231Posted 4/2/2013 3:34:00 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
icarus231 posted...

No, that's precisely the purpose of a return policy, if that particular store says it is. And it's actually quite reasonable that someone would want to be able to just return-and-replace right away, rather than bother with weeks worth of shipping and waiting.

Personally, I'm happy to cut Nintendo some slack for this, because they're changing their service quite a bit right now and that kind of thing takes time. But TC's annoyance is perfectly reasonable.

If i break something i take ownership of that and follow the correct procedure. To bad so many people these days feel entitled.
#29MegaWinFTWPosted 4/2/2013 7:39:36 PM
icarus231 posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
icarus231 posted...

If i break something i take ownership of that and follow the correct procedure. To bad so many people these days feel entitled.

You'll literally defend anything Nintendo do wont you?

I used to work in a shop with a 'happy returns' policy, which meant that if a customer wasn't happy with something they bought then they could get a refund pretty much no matter how long they'd had it. They also had (and still do) at least 2 year warranties on almost any electrical device including games consoles that was covered by the store. Just because Nintendo has some archaic and frankly idiotic ideas about how digital sales should be managed doesn't mean someone shouldn't be allowed to utilise the services that they have open to them. There isn't some "correct procedure", get a concept of consumer rights already.
#30Shinobi120Posted 4/2/2013 7:44:29 PM(edited)
Jobocan posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
Perfect case in point of why I prefer physical media. This kind of crap can't happen to a disc.

Well it CAN and Sony already has tech that can do just that (for now only used for cross-buy)... But yeah, thus far this crap hasn't really happened with physical games (though Diablo 3 comes dangerously close).

If 3rd party publishers are smart, they won't try to block used games for PS4. It'll be suicide for them & they could possibly be sued up the ass for it.