Would you pay a subscription for unlimited Virtual Console service?

#1SilentdazePosted 4/2/2013 2:08:26 PM
If Nintendo offered a service that allowed you to play their entire library of Virtual Console games on the Wii/Wii U/3DS for a monthly fee - would you? How much a month would you pay?

Related: About how much $$ have you already dropped on the VC?

I think if Nintendo went with a subscription model for these older games, they'd probably make a killing and people would be willing to spend more than they have been on individual releases.

Me, I'd pay $5-8 a month, depending on how well the service integrated between Wii U and 3DS. Overall I've spent maybe $60 on VC since it was first launched, so they'd definitely get more of my money out of this deal.

(This is obviously hypothetically and very unlikely to happen. I'm just curious if this type of model would be worthwhile for Nintendo to help their bottom line)
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#2AstralFrostPosted 4/2/2013 2:11:06 PM
$5 - $8 per month for the entire library of games will definitely happen and you aren't delusional at all.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#3GloryChaosPosted 4/2/2013 2:11:59 PM
I would pay nothing. Get GBA and Gamecube games on the VC, unify the VC with the 3ds VC, give us Earthbound amongst other SNES, N64, GBC, and GBA VC games, and then I'll consider a monthly fee like what we get with PS+.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#4AlexPumaPosted 4/2/2013 2:16:43 PM
I already paid for Playstation Plus. I'd totally pay for this. Be worth more than Xbox Live Gold, where they charge a fee so you can get bombarded with ads.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#5Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 2:17:07 PM
AstralFrost posted...
$5 - $8 per month for the entire library of games will definitely happen and you aren't delusional at all.

I'm assuming sarcasm here...

Like I said, very unlikely, but Spotify is $5 or $10 a month for unlimited music. Netflix is $8 a month for unlimited movies (ok, the selection isn't everything ever...), and PS+, which this would be comparable to, is $5 a month. PS+ is only a handful of games, but they are all much newer than what the VC offers and they are always adding new games.

What I'm trying to figure out is would the average person pay more for the VC through a subscription than they would otherwise. With music and movies, I pay a lot more now than I was when I was buying individually because I would be so selective
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#6ADHDguitarPosted 4/2/2013 2:25:31 PM
A lot of people spend more than that on VC games per month on average anyway.

I can see it.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#7FF_FiendPosted 4/2/2013 2:28:15 PM
I'm sure almost no amount of money in subscription could make it worth it to Nintendo to allow their entire VC to be "f2p" like that.

That said, a subscription plan like Playstation Plus with monthly freebies would work WONDERS for Nintendo. I've already posted a topic about that, with mixed results. It'd help them out and of course get players more interested in the Wii U, which is always a good thing. 3DS could definitely benefit from this as well.

But for any of this to be a reality, they have to get a specific account system in place and have them unified across their platforms, as Sony has already done.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#8zalmutePosted 4/2/2013 2:41:01 PM
I think it would be a good value myself.
---
IOS Fanboy. Cant afford a 16 dollar app but can afford a 499$ device each year.
#9Prince ShondronaiPosted 4/2/2013 2:43:35 PM
I'd rather still purchase the individual titles I want and be able to save them to a hard drive forever.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#10supergamerbretPosted 4/2/2013 2:44:43 PM
I'd pay it if nintendo put their whole(NA,PAL,JP)catalog up. They are by far my favorite game company but they are so stupid most of the time.

WiiU is a complete disaster. They launched way too early with games that look at first glance just like their Wii counterparts. OS & services not ready. Third parties seem to have abandoned it already. They have to up the output of games which means that we will get rushed games. I have a feeling the 3d mario game is going to suffer because the have to get it out this holiday.

Cube games should be up by now & the should be rolling out wii downloads too. I'd pay $15 for Disaster & a subbed version of that Regliev game.
I want to download games that we missed like Kuru kurin. They are sitting on so much money that their fans like me wouldn't mind giving them.

I could go on all day about how they sapped all my hype away from this machine when a year ago I was planning on standing in line launch night & now I dont even want one until WWHD & Mario 3D are out.

At least they funded X. That's one thing I'm happy about