Would you pay a subscription for unlimited Virtual Console service?

#11DBPanterAPosted 4/2/2013 2:45:04 PM
I would 100% do it.

I feel most of the die hard Nintendo folks have bought a lot of games via the VC and eShop. I would have no problem paying a fee for a very robust line-up of Nintendo games, and in fact, called Nintendo last year prior to the Wii U and mentioned they should do this.

The problem is that Nintendo, when you look at their financial reports, makes very little on the VC compared to their competition. This stems in part because a very small percentage of Nintendo console users are actually connected to the internet.

They need to give consumers a reason to go on-line, whether through a service of this type or having regular sales of games.

If you haven't followed their monthly reports the last 3 months, every month the 30 cent game they have been offering tops the list.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#12Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 3:25:14 PM
FF_Fiend posted...
I'm sure almost no amount of money in subscription could make it worth it to Nintendo to allow their entire VC to be "f2p" like that.

That said, a subscription plan like Playstation Plus with monthly freebies would work WONDERS for Nintendo. I've already posted a topic about that, with mixed results. It'd help them out and of course get players more interested in the Wii U, which is always a good thing. 3DS could definitely benefit from this as well.

But for any of this to be a reality, they have to get a specific account system in place and have them unified across their platforms, as Sony has already done.

I'm not so sure people spend as much over the life of a console on VC as you think. All of my gamer friends who had a Wii and KNEW about the VC spent around what I did (sub $100), and then there were the people who had a Wii and didn't even realize the VC existed.

The people who drop $100+ on the VC (and remember, this is over YEARS) are probably more rare than video game message boards would lead you to believe. At least in my limited experience it is. So if they offer a compelling service, gamers and casuals will have a reason to pay nintendo monthly

That said, something more realistic would be a subscription that offered a rotating selection of games as opposed to the whole giant thing. I can dream though...
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#13mjc0961Posted 4/2/2013 4:43:02 PM
Well, it'd be a better deal than Playstation Plus (of course, anything aside from taking $50 and flushing it down the toilet is a better deal than Playstation Plus), but still probably not because I already have two many new games in my backlog that I don't want to sign up for a service that puts so many more games at my fingertips.

FF_Fiend posted...
But for any of this to be a reality, they have to get a specific account system in place and have them unified across their platforms, as Sony has already done.

Yeah, as someone who owns a PSP, PS3, and PS Vita, this is a load of bulls***. Sony has not unified anything across their platforms aside from using the same log-in details on all three devices. But the unification stops there; I can't even play all my digital PSP games on my Vita for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than Sony's incompetence.

I really wish people would stop saying "Nintendo needs to be more like Sony." So backwards. Sony needs to be more like Nintendo and actually unify their s*** so everything works on every platform like it should. Pretty f***ing pathetic that all it took was one short transfer to make very single digital Wii game I own playable on Wii U, but meanwhile Sony still can't fully support PS1 and PSP digital compatibility between PSP, PS3, and Vita?! Really, really sad on Sony's part that they're doing so poorly.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#14sentoworfPosted 4/2/2013 4:48:55 PM
They should at least have sales on the VC games >_>
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#15FF_FiendPosted 4/2/2013 4:57:33 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Well, it'd be a better deal than Playstation Plus (of course, anything aside from taking $50 and flushing it down the toilet is a better deal than Playstation Plus), but still probably not because I already have two many new games in my backlog that I don't want to sign up for a service that puts so many more games at my fingertips.

FF_Fiend posted...

Yeah, as someone who owns a PSP, PS3, and PS Vita, this is a load of bulls***. Sony has not unified anything across their platforms aside from using the same log-in details on all three devices. But the unification stops there; I can't even play all my digital PSP games on my Vita for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than Sony's incompetence.

I really wish people would stop saying "Nintendo needs to be more like Sony." So backwards. Sony needs to be more like Nintendo and actually unify their s*** so everything works on every platform like it should. Pretty f***ing pathetic that all it took was one short transfer to make very single digital Wii game I own playable on Wii U, but meanwhile Sony still can't fully support PS1 and PSP digital compatibility between PSP, PS3, and Vita?! Really, really sad on Sony's part that they're doing so poorly.

Dude that's not Sony's fault. There are licensing issues abound, mostly due to 3rd parties being jackasses. And mostly Square Enix, in particular. (which is why you can't have crisis core, birth by sleep, etc on the digital store).

But if you're going to fault sony for not having PS1 titles on their console - pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have every gamecube game on their virtual console. Or for that matter any of them.

And I'm not talking about downloads. I'm talking about a unified account between current running platforms. It's not just the same login. There are crossplay/crossbuy deals. My playstation plus covers both systems for the cost of one. I can message friends from the same username on both consoles. You and I are discussing totally different issues. You're talking backwards compatibility. No system should be expected to be backwards compatible with consoles two or more iterations behind it. But it's a nice bonus. Hopefully Nintendo does learn from them - that way I won't have to pay outrageous amazon prices to hunt down obscure gamecube games that I missed.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#16FF_FiendPosted 4/2/2013 4:59:22 PM
mjc0961 posted...

FF_Fiend posted...

Oh and 50 dollars pays for itself after you download approximately 1-2 games. And there are some great titles on there. If you have a backlog of any kind, I'd argue that you already flushed 50 dollars down the toilet by buying more games before you finish other ones that you already own.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#17Ultima_MagikarpPosted 4/2/2013 5:03:28 PM
No, I will never pay a monthly fee for video games. It's just a principle of mine.
#18Pac12345Posted 4/2/2013 5:06:58 PM
If If it's for older games that I cannot emulate then maybe I would accept paying a monthly/yearly. Otherwise no. I like to actually own my games, not borrow them. I very much prefer paying full price for it. I don't mind having the option though, the service itself.
#19Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 7:57:59 AM
Pac12345 posted...
If If it's for older games that I cannot emulate then maybe I would accept paying a monthly/yearly. Otherwise no. I like to actually own my games, not borrow them. I very much prefer paying full price for it. I don't mind having the option though, the service itself.

Everything is eventually going to go digital, and without the promise of backwards compatibility, you will never truly "own" games that aren't on disc. At least not forever with the current state of consoles (steam is a different story, and even that might not last forever).

I'm the same way - I buy on disc over eShop, even if its a bit more expensive. But I know I won't have this option all the time
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#20kdognumba1Posted 4/3/2013 8:14:13 AM
Prince Shondronai posted...
I'd rather still purchase the individual titles I want and be able to save them to a hard drive forever.

This.

Also to add to this, I'd prefer being able to buy the games once and then use them on all Nintendo platforms that I have my account linked to the way Steam works.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1