Deus Ex- a lot of effort for a game that will only sell 250,000 copies surely?

#1STE573Posted 4/3/2013 9:43:46 AM
I completely back what SE are doing and branding this as the ultimate version and that it has a lot of fixes and improvements.

But, first of all, it didn't sell amazingly when it came out before and second of all, it has came out before... A year ago... And then some.

It seems like a lot of effort, time and money has went into this, they are even advertising it! For a game that will inevitably not sell? I mean I get that it is just a port and it won't have cost the world to make, but still, I question the value on SE's end for doing this.

Don't get me wrong though, for consumers this is great!
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#2Prince ShondronaiPosted 4/3/2013 9:45:56 AM
STE573 posted...

It seems like a lot of effort, time and money has went into this...

Find out how much, exactly, then compare it to the revenue that 250,000 copies sold would get them. Until you know the logistics, it's pointless to worry.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#3GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 4/3/2013 9:51:08 AM
STE573 posted...

Uh has ANY third party game sold even close to that much yet? Didn't black ops 2 sell under 100k?

DXHR is a solid game, but nintendo fans seem to be drones that only want to eat up the latest smash bros or mario kart rehash. So I don't see it selling very well unfortunately.

Nintendos pretty much made their bed by shaping their consumer culture into one that keeps third party devs away and makes 3rd parties that try to support their consoles anyway, regret that they did.

Nintendos pretty much shot themselves in the foot with Wii U. Too many cons and really no pros for 3rd party devs. They wont even pay for exclusives or even timed exclusives.

The incredibly meager sales for DQX and the very meager console sales increase due to DQX says alot. They may very well discontinue the Wii U in its current form, rebrand it and redesign the insides to be more on par with ps4 and 720 (easy to develop for architecture, a larger pool of faster ram etc)

Right now they're effectively dead in the water. Any AAA killer app they have in the pipeline is way too far off, a year or more away. The console will be dead and off retail shelves by that point
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#4_FalstaffPosted 4/3/2013 9:55:49 AM(edited)
Yeah, you need to know how much effort has actually gone into the project before you make any judgments. SE has hopefully done an analysis at some point, as should be expected from any company selling any product, and found that they could make a profit on it.

GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
DXHR is a solid game, but nintendo fans seem to be drones that only want to eat up the latest smash bros or mario kart rehash. So I don't see it selling very well unfortunately.

Apparently you weren't around for all the topics where Nintendo fans said they were interested in the game. Nice strawman, though.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#5digiblasterPosted 4/3/2013 9:52:37 AM
It'll cost a LOT less to port than to build from the ground up. The game wouldn't be getting ported if they would only stand to lose money.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#6BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/3/2013 9:52:54 AM
I'll probably buy it and I'm a Nintendo-only customer. I hope many others follow suit.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#7STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 9:54:19 AM
Per game sold in the UK at 50 in a Retail outlet, Publishers get around 15 I remember reading. That doesn't factor in Digital purchases or marketing costs though.

I'll link it when I find it, but basically it was an article about COD MW2 and how they would have to sell around 6 million copies to break even on it. It probably differs massively with cases though.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#8GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 4/3/2013 10:13:42 AM
_Falstaff posted...
Yeah, you need to know how much effort has actually gone into the project before you make any judgments. SE has hopefully done an analysis at some point, as should be expected from any company selling any product, and found that they could make a profit on it.

GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...

Apparently you weren't around for all the topics where Nintendo fans said they were interested in the game. Nice strawman, though.

-strawman

-consistently proven fact about nintendos consumer base

ok dude, whatever you say haha
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#9TannerCKGPosted 4/3/2013 10:27:40 AM
I'd say it cost about $40,000 to port a game over + distribution. Theres not much to it when developers can get a 360 game running on Wii U in 1 day its just refining control features and adding extra content
---
"Times are gone for honest men and sometimes far too long for snakes"
#10SolisPosted 4/3/2013 10:38:44 AM
TannerCKG posted...
I'd say it cost about $40,000 to port a game over + distribution. Theres not much to it when developers can get a 360 game running on Wii U in 1 day its just refining control features and adding extra content

The port of Marathon 2: Durandal to the Xbox 360 had a budget of $300,000, and that was a decade old Mac/PC game at the time. I think you're severely underestimating the cost of porting a game between two platforms. QA alone probably far exceeds $40,000.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review