Is the game industry crashing?

#51DBPanterAPosted 4/4/2013 2:48:34 AM
Buretsu posted...
DBPanterA posted...
jairusmonillas posted...
Crashing? the only crashing that has been happening lately is the Wii U crashing. losing 3rd party support and selling 57k in a month plus being a laughing stock of devs. lol.

PS4 is looking strong. Wii U dead before arrival of PS4.

What part of the PS4 announcement did you think was an industry changer?

8GB GDDR5 RAM, baby.

Oh, you mean Sony's way of not making any profit off a console for 4 years just like the PS3. Interesting. . .

Hopefully their TV operations will help them. What, they have lost money there for 8 consecutive years? Well, at least they got their Music and Movie Departments to help out. Go Adele!
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#52Binba442Posted 4/4/2013 3:14:19 AM
Are you serious?

The game industry cannot crash now, at this point, it's IMPOSSIBLE, it's a pastime that most people enjoy, they aren't suddenly all going to go away, sure, maybe games won't be as good anymore, but we're just in a rough patch, just wait until the next gen kicks off, it'll be back to normal soon.
#53DeathSoul2000Posted 4/4/2013 3:35:30 AM
Binba442 posted...
Are you serious?

The game industry cannot crash now, at this point, it's IMPOSSIBLE, it's a pastime that most people enjoy, they aren't suddenly all going to go away, sure, maybe games won't be as good anymore, but we're just in a rough patch, just wait until the next gen kicks off, it'll be back to normal soon.

Yeah sure buddy. Just because the industry itself won't go away doesn't mean the people won't. Overall declining game sales are proof enough of that.
#54ElectricMolePosted 4/4/2013 3:47:47 AM
DBPanterA posted...

What part of the PS4 announcement did you think was an industry changer?

It was designed by the industry, unlike the past systems. 1st and 3rd party studios had their input into every aspect of the system. Its the industry's creation. Thats why every outside studio is signed up to make content for it.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#55tidusajcxPosted 4/4/2013 4:01:29 AM
bubbas111 posted...
RyuVegas posted...
ballermat982 posted...
Crashing is too strong a word imo. It's definitely going down the wrong path though. That youtube video is a load of bullcrap tho lol. Rising dev costs is what will be the downfall of the industry. Recently a game sold 3.5 million copies in three weeks and was considered a failure by the publisher. That sickens me.

This. While the Industry isn't steadfast on a crash course with a Wall the is the equivalent of The Great Depression, there are signs that many people are in great denial of the what the landscape of the industry looks like, causing kind of a speculation bubble, and if we as gamers don't try and convince publishers that their ways are wrong... we could end up with a 90's Comic-Book-Like Crash to our Industry, or the Housing Market Bubble Burst that caused our 2008 Recession like crash.

It isn't going to be cataclysmic and destroy EVERYTHING, but something is sure as hell going to need to change.

The only way it takes a crash similar to the housing bubble burst is if all companies start taking out stupid loans for stupid reasons (that a few companies have done). Otherwise it will work itself out. Bad games will no longer be bought and those companies will go out of business. Good companies will make good games which will be bought. Those companies then either get bought by or become a new giant company themselves. As long as they make games people still enjoy, or are marketed well (either through paid advertisement or great word of mouth) then a gaming company will continue to live on.

couldnt agree more. im sure apple, blackberry, newgrounds, facebook, etc etc have something to do with it as well. even younger kids are playing on these other devices rather than consoles. i think theres a lot of variables that are effecting it. only the true gamers are sticking with consoles, even though they (we) are all growing older, working all day, and providing for families, thus reducing the amount of commitment we had towards consoles even more :/. as much as i miss sitting on a couch and playing ff6-10, Doom 64, Mario 64 and Sunshine, Twisted Metal 1-Black, C&C3, Halo 3 MP, Gears of War MP, or old school zeldas/Smash Bros Melee, etc etc.. until 3am. I cant do that anymore, even if i wanted to.
#56epyon45Posted 4/4/2013 4:29:01 AM
I keep wondering what will happen when the bro shooter audience just moves on to something else.
---
Buy Ni no Kuni for great justice!
#57__starsnostarsPosted 4/4/2013 4:42:23 AM
No. The industry is going strong. Only on the WiiU board would 40+% view the state of the industry as collapsing. Doesn't bode well.
---
That's our bones in the dust shining like the sun
We were golden We were golden We were golden
#58petran78Posted 4/4/2013 4:45:16 AM
epyon45 posted...
I keep wondering what will happen when the bro shooter audience just moves on to something else.

Same thing that happened when arcade malls closed or turned to net cafes. Mmorpg replaced classic arcade games. Instead of inserting coins and grabbing a stick, you pay in the end and click a mouse.

More longetivity, less content
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#59JackalPosted 4/4/2013 4:46:06 AM
Ouya. $99. Survivor of the next great game crash. :)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#60BirgitteSilverPosted 4/4/2013 4:52:32 AM
Robobro posted...
Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> groaffixxks

Yeah, no.

Otherwise Final Fantasy X-2 would be considered the best Final Fantasy game, as it's widely regarded as having the best gameplay in the entire series.