What the Wii U could mean for gaming's future - article

#1andrea987Posted 4/3/2013 9:02:15 PM
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/14331/nintendo-wii-u-strategy/

"A Strategy That Could Change the Way We Look At Consoles Forever And Make Wii U the Most Successful Console"

Interesting article. Be warned, though, it's VERY long.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
Just finished: Batman ACAE, Trine 2 DC.
#2Nintendoboy77Posted 4/3/2013 10:07:56 PM
Genius! :D
#3DBPanterAPosted 4/3/2013 10:55:10 PM
Great Article. I would actually love to play some bejeweled on the Gamepad, as silly as that may sound.

It's nice to look at the positives of what the Wii U can offer. It is still very early and while consumers and developers don't know what to make of this device, that is part of the beauty. There are many paths of success that can be taken, and I truly feel that with information leaking from PAX East a few weeks ago that Nintendo is going hard after the mobile/tablet game developers to make their jobs easier, we will see many more digital offerings down the road.

As much as I enjoy dropping $60 for a AAA title, I find it a little more appealing spending $5-20 on these quirky or innovative titles.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#4andrea987(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 1:16:21 AM
DBPanterA posted...
Great Article. I would actually love to play some bejeweled on the Gamepad, as silly as that may sound.

It's nice to look at the positives of what the Wii U can offer. It is still very early and while consumers and developers don't know what to make of this device, that is part of the beauty. There are many paths of success that can be taken, and I truly feel that with information leaking from PAX East a few weeks ago that Nintendo is going hard after the mobile/tablet game developers to make their jobs easier, we will see many more digital offerings down the road.

As much as I enjoy dropping $60 for a AAA title, I find it a little more appealing spending $5-20 on these quirky or innovative titles.

Same here, I had enough of all those wanna-be movies. Plus, I've always loved RTS games, and I'll be very happy if some of them come the U way.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
#5phy2jshPosted 4/4/2013 1:26:54 AM
Bumping this as I think more people should read and consider the article. This reflects my thoughts exactly on how Nintendo should be using the Wii U; they need to be looking at bringing games (new or existing) that wouldn't be possible on any other console - this is how they avoid the gamepad being simply a gimmick.

This approach would allow them to differentiate themselves from the PS4 and xbox 720. What won't work is providing poor versions of 3rd party, multi-platform, AAA titles with tacked on gamepad functionality. I appreciate that some people can only afford one console and will want to play all these AAA games; if you are one of these people, my advice is not to get a Wii U, get a PS4 instead - you can't have a console that does everything (actually, you could, but it would have to cost a huge amount of money).

Ultimately, it was a bold move by Nintendo to decide to utilise the gamepad, rather than simply providing a standard console with stronger technical specs, as it will, most likely, preclude the Wii U from receiving many of the aforementioned AAA multi-plat titles. But, given their bold move, they now need to follow through - by coming up with innovative ways of utilising the gamepad that wouldn't be possible on other consoles; if they don't do this, then there is really no reason for anyone to pick the Wii U over one of the other consoles, and I fear it is likely to fail.
#6ThugETHPosted 4/4/2013 1:37:16 AM(edited)
You can use a keyboard and mouse with the other consoles too though.
The 'angle' in that article is saying the gamepad emulates a mouse and keyboard but an ACTUAL mouse and keyboard on say PS3 for instance is more precise than a gamepad input.

Also the ps3/4 has Vita which will act as a gamepad and 360/nextbox has smartglass turning any phone or tablet into a gamepad.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#7Lefty128kPosted 4/4/2013 1:46:45 AM
Thug4L1fe posted...
The 'angle' in that article is saying the gamepad emulates a mouse and keyboard but an ACTUAL mouse and keyboard on say PS3 for instance is more precise than a gamepad input.

Also the ps3/4 has Vita which will act as a gamepad and 360/nextbox has smartglass turning any phone or tablet into a gamepad.

Don't forget the Dualshock 4 has that touchpad on it too. That can easily be used for mouse-like functioning.
#8phy2jshPosted 4/4/2013 1:52:52 AM
Thug4L1fe posted...

Yes, but the difference is that none of those peripherals are a fundamental part of their respective systems - you need to buy them separately. The fact that you need to buy these items separately means that there are likely to be very few games that utilise the functionality. This is mentioned in the article, with respect to mouse and keyboards that you can buy for other consoles.

As an example, no dev is going to make a PS4 game that only works with the vita, as they are massively reducing their target market. Devs may add additional functionality to a game that works with the vita, but the fact that it is not fundamental to the game makes it inherently gimmicky.

With the Wii U, devs can make a game fundamentally dependent on the gamepad functionality, without reducing their target for owners of the Wii U. I think the problem is that devs have got so used to making multi-plat games, that they may be unwilling to develop games that will only ever work on one console.
#9andrea987(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 2:22:15 AM
phy2jsh posted...
Thug4L1fe posted...

Yes, but the difference is that none of those peripherals are a fundamental part of their respective systems - you need to buy them separately. The fact that you need to buy these items separately means that there are likely to be very few games that utilise the functionality. This is mentioned in the article, with respect to mouse and keyboards that you can buy for other consoles.

As an example, no dev is going to make a PS4 game that only works with the vita, as they are massively reducing their target market. Devs may add additional functionality to a game that works with the vita, but the fact that it is not fundamental to the game makes it inherently gimmicky.

With the Wii U, devs can make a game fundamentally dependent on the gamepad functionality, without reducing their target for owners of the Wii U. I think the problem is that devs have got so used to making multi-plat games, that they may be unwilling to develop games that will only ever work on one console.

True, but maybe devs could consider porting (or developing) some games/apps for the U AND ps4/720 making use of their extra functionality. Especially 720 and the smartglass thing. I mean, who doesn't have a touchscreen phone or a tablet these days?
Regarding the mouse comparison, I'll take gamepad/stylus or wiimote/pointer combinations over mouse control any day, at least for gaming. But that's me.
---
#10phy2jshPosted 4/4/2013 2:55:19 AM
andrea987 posted...
phy2jsh posted...
Thug4L1fe posted...

True, but maybe devs could consider porting (or developing) some games/apps for the U AND ps4/720 making use of their extra functionality. Especially 720 and the smartglass thing. I mean, who doesn't have a touchscreen phone or a tablet these days?
Regarding the mouse comparison, I'll take gamepad/stylus or wiimote/pointer combinations over mouse control any day, at least for gaming. But that's me.

You're right that most people have a touchscreen phone or tablet; however, the technology and specification of these devices varies wildly (and probably always will), so my view is that smartglass will only ever offer very basic functionality due to the risk of incompatibility with certain devices. My point is: I think the Wii U and gamepad offer the opportunity to do something much more ambitious, as everyone has a gamepad, and they are all the same spec.