What the Wii U could mean for gaming's future - article

#41SolisPosted 4/4/2013 7:44:20 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
I am tired of developersmtrying to make PC rts games on consoles. Just make a RTS FOR consoles.

They have. And the controls typically still suck regardless (with the exception of console RTS games that supported a mouse at least...although the lack of hotkeys was still a hindrance).
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#42mini_blightPosted 4/4/2013 8:12:33 PM
rockymin posted...
BoomerTheGreat posted...
The Wii U is very innovative and hopefully this will create exclusive games simply because it is different then a SNES type controller.

No its not, that's the problem. The casuals who flocked to buy the Wii can already do most of that stuff with their iPads and tablets. Even kids have tablets these days. Who wants to buy the Wii U to use it as an e-reader? Or do apps? When the tablets they already own do it better.

PS4 is doomed, confirmed.
#43phy2jshPosted 4/5/2013 1:29:05 AM(edited)
midgar posted...

This feels like a strawman. Who is saying people will buy a Wii U to act as an e-reader or for 'apps'? The gamepad technology is completely different to a tablet or phone, although it may seem similar to people who don't understand what it does. A tablet is essentially a stand-alone device, that is not dependent any other device. The gamepad is an input device, which also displays streamed video that is produced by the console (but is not necessarily a replica of what is shown on the TV); it does not operate independently from the console. This streaming technology provides opportunities that cannot be replicated on a tablet.

Of course, streaming technology is not, itself, new or particularly innovative. However, making it a fundamental part of a game console is unique. As others have said, this concept can be replicated between, for example, a ps4 and vita, but having to buy a separate vita makes it a completely different scenario.

If Gaikai streaming becomes a viable solution on Sony's end, then in theory it would open up the same possibilities for virtually any
device, and Vita wouldn't even require PS4 - just an account. (They would be smart to pursue this). Honestly though, I don't see much
advantage over a stand alone device, some of the new tablets are getting pretty beefy and can output to TVs. Sorry, I just don't see it for
RTS either. You have to efficiently be able to simultaneously select groups of units and issue commands/abilities, which seems like
it'd be pretty muddied up trying to do that with the Wii U tablet. Having one hand off of the controller for the stylus leaves one free hand
to both hold the controller and issue all the commands, etc. It just doesn't seem intuitive at all to me, but if it's the only control option,
it'd at least be fair. That said, KB/M will always be best, but if they could do something from the ground up (voice command included),
...anything is possible.

It doesn't seem intuitive because all you have for reference is existing games. As I and others have said, the games would need to be designed specifically for the Wii U. I don't have any specific game ideas, but I can see some varied control options using the gamepad:

1) Right hand uses stylus on screen to act similar to a touchpad on a laptop.
2) Left hand uses d-pad, where each direction can be a different command. eg. up = select, down = move etc.
3) Left hand can also use left control stick, which can give direct control over a specific unit, if required.
4) Voice controls can be integral or optional.
5) Motion controls can be integral or optional.

The above doesn't represent a coherent control method, but it illustrates some of the possible options that could all be used whilst holding the gamepad in one specific way. Again, I'm not saying this would work with existing games, but new games could be created to work specifically with the above.

The above only relates to control, and doesn't touch on options for what could be displayed on the gamepad screen. If multiple gamepads on one console ever gets implemented, imagine the tactical opportunities if you each have your own mini screen that the other player(s) can't see.

I suspect none of this will come to fruition, but it represents my thoughts on one way the Wii U could best be utilised to differentiate itself from other consoles.
#44DesperateMonkeyPosted 4/5/2013 6:03:58 AM
Quote:DesperateMonkey posted...
I am tired of developersmtrying to make PC rts games on consoles. Just make a RTS FOR consoles.

They have. And the controls typically still suck regardless (with the exception of console RTS games that supported a mouse at least...although the lack of hotkeys was still a hindrance).

@Solis

And what games are those? Even Halo wars was built around the PC concept of an RTS. It's pretty much a joke how developers have no creativity in creating an actual consult model.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10