CNN- Miyamoto Interview

#21shawnboutonPosted 4/6/2013 7:11:37 PM
ok im not trolling at ALL. i am a proud wiiu owner but this interview is complete garbage. some quotes that stick out to me are

"I feel a device like Wii U, with its ability to continue to offer new features and that network connection and the connection to the TV and the interface, really makes it feel that it's more than just a game machine, but something that offers a lot of practical use and practical purpose in the living room," he said. "I look at it as being a very useful device that can do many different things and therefore really seems to be the device that's ideal to have in the living room."

ummm...it only plays games???THATS IT... no dvds...no music library... no blu ray movies...a half ass online system.

not that this matters to me at all but he makes it sound like it does everything. and it doesnt deliver at all.
#22shawnboutonPosted 4/6/2013 7:13:08 PM
what is the definition of "practical use" to miyamoto?
#23Enigma149Posted 4/6/2013 7:33:55 PM
Socran posted...
Enigma149 posted...
Hm.

I stand corrected, then.

What? How? He linked the exact article backing up what you just said, up to and including the fact that selling over 200,000 was unexpected.

I read the link wrong, and never bothered to delete my post. I think I'll do so now.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#24P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 4/6/2013 9:40:39 PM
shawnbouton posted...
ok im not trolling at ALL. i am a proud wiiu owner but this interview is complete garbage. some quotes that stick out to me are

"I feel a device like Wii U, with its ability to continue to offer new features and that network connection and the connection to the TV and the interface, really makes it feel that it's more than just a game machine, but something that offers a lot of practical use and practical purpose in the living room," he said. "I look at it as being a very useful device that can do many different things and therefore really seems to be the device that's ideal to have in the living room."

ummm...it only plays games???THATS IT... no dvds...no music library... no blu ray movies...a half ass online system.

not that this matters to me at all but he makes it sound like it does everything. and it doesnt deliver at all.

Wii U uses something called TVii, has connections to Amazon, Netflix and more, and can easily browse the internet. It also let's you play games without needing the television.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Mirror of Fate, Monster Hunter 3U
#25AceMosPosted 4/6/2013 11:38:30 PM
chuchumyrocket posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
For one, that article is from 2011 and doesn't have the "quote" he posted. Secondly, it has Miyamoto saying that he thought of the VB as a fun toy, not a gaming console. Lastly, he is justified in saying software will come and will greatly benefit the Wii U especially seeing as the same thing they are planning now happened with the vastly successful 3DS.

Nintendo hasn't had a console sell as well as one if its handhelds that I can remember. The gamecube and wii were both outsold by a pretty large margin(the gamecube was really destroyed) by their respective handhelds. The 3DS being a success has nothing to do with the Wii U.

Maybe things will be completely different this time but it certainly doesn't look like it.

the wii out sold its competors
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#26rudgerlightPosted 4/7/2013 12:00:22 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
shawnbouton posted...

Wii U uses something called TVii, has connections to Amazon, Netflix and more, and can easily browse the internet. It also let's you play games without needing the television.

True, but let's be real, TVii is not great for a lot of setups and isn't well organized in general. Besides, a few multimedia functions is not what Miyamoto is claiming. I do agree with what Miyamoto is saying in respects to the potential of the system, but at the moment it really isn't delivering on their promises.

Maybe after a few updates that will change, but at the moment it isn't nearly the communication device they advertised it to be (getting video chats while playing a game is not a thing yet), switching between titles is laborious compared to the 3DS - must return to menu to select a different title, heck even some of the features you listed were half baked at launch - TVii didn't have Netflix integrated into it until a few weeks ago. Nintendo promised a lot and is delivering at a snail's pace.

But we shouldn't expect him to say anything else in a CNN interview.
#27ImGanondorfLolPosted 4/7/2013 12:39:37 AM
I don't get why people always bring up the virtual boy. The N64 was right around the corner, the virtual boy wasn't meant to be Nintendo's next big console that they would be supporting for the next 5 years, unlike the Wii U. Why would anyone expect it to sell millions and have massive support? It was almost like a peripheral with a small selection of games.
#28GamerguymassPosted 4/7/2013 1:10:51 AM
None of this changes the fact that Miyamoto is completely and utterly awesome for the fact that he is leaning against a life size kart for Mario. I for one am jealous as hell. And if that thing actually works? Holy crap.
#29AsellusPosted 4/7/2013 2:52:31 AM
It hurts to say this about Miyamoto but I'm honestly wondering if he's lost his touch. Between "stamp themed Paper Mario", "What would be the point of a new F-Zero game?", and now this...

"The challenge that we had was if someone wanted to view television, then you couldn't play games. We wanted to have a second screen for Wii U that would make it possible for people to essentially play games even if something else was on the TV,"

The death knell for this as a successful gimmick? Something like 85% of American house holds own at least two televisions.
#30ElectricMolePosted 4/7/2013 3:28:12 AM
shawnbouton posted...
what is the definition of "practical use" to miyamoto?

Miyamoto didn't specifically say how...because he doesn't know yet either.

If he's saying it has other practical uses outside of gaming and netflix, its not much different from the 3ds. Except 3ds can play mp3 files too. Playing MH3U and RE:Revelaitons is also possible on 3ds, so you don't have to occupy the tv and all that. ;)
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188