Do you need the motion sensor to be in front of you?

#1tomsayshiPosted 4/6/2013 6:25:14 AM
Hi. I owned a Wii about 6 years ago and I can't remember if you need the sensor to be directly in front of you when you play. Reason I'm asking is because I have a projector now and obviously the WiiU will plug in to that and display on the other side of the room, meaning no chance of getting peripherals to reach to where the motion sensor is supposed to be... unless it doesn't have to be all the way over there?
---
PSN: TheSuperTom
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/6/2013 6:55:57 AM(edited)
The sensor bar is deceptively named. The real sensors are in the tips of the Wii Remote and Gamepad. The sensor bar is just some infrared LEDs, and to answer your question, games that involve pointer function will need you to be pointing at the sensor bar. It does have a really long wire, so it might reach, or you could buy a wireless sensor bar.

Actually, I don't really know if the Gamepad uses the sensor bar. It might orient itself based entirely on internal motion sense and calibration. The sensor bar might just be for the Wii Remote. Maybe someone else will provide more info.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3Petey_MeanisPosted 4/6/2013 7:45:48 AM
yes, it needs to be in front of you for the Wii remote to work.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage. NNID : Meaty_Petey
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif
#4stekim40Posted 4/6/2013 8:05:43 AM
of course reading the console manual would tell you but I guess you are one of the current generation of 'gamers' who find it easier to yell for help than to pick up a manual and glance at it. ye gods. :(
---
Xyzzy!
#5DarkIVloonPosted 4/6/2013 1:49:44 PM
stekim40 posted...
of course reading the console manual would tell you but I guess you are one of the current generation of 'gamers' who find it easier to yell for help than to pick up a manual and glance at it. ye gods. :(

Have you seen the size of the WiiU manual? I'm not a current generation gamer but back in my generation we also didn't need to read a console manual to tell us what the Power and Reset buttons meant.
---
Gotta get em' all, shmupmon!
#6vidalmorazaPosted 4/6/2013 1:56:35 PM
You donīt really need it, unless you use Wiimotes, I did not installed the sensor bar of the Wii U in the HDTV and I use my Wii U since launch every day....
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#7EchixirPosted 4/6/2013 2:07:01 PM
TC, I had the same issue when I moved into my apartment last year. If you're playing games that actually use pointer controls, then you're best bet is just to buy a wireless sensor bar. They're usually like $20, and I only turn it on for games that use pointer controls.
---
I can haz 5:11 tiem nao plz?
#8rudgerlightPosted 4/6/2013 2:11:27 PM
As others have mentioned, the sensor bar doesn't actually need to be plugged into the system, it just needs to receive power somehow. The cord should be long enough, but if not there are make-shift solutions out there to create your own ac powered sensor bar and keep that under the screen. And the gamepad doesn't use the sensor bar at all, just the wiimotes do.