Xbox will kill Wii U people said

#1quickposterPosted 4/6/2013 11:26:15 PM
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vg/image/1337/27/1337270656726.gif

No wonder MS has been so quiet. Incoming "rumors" comment. Try denial. Nobody would get that defensive about that move unless it was happening.

Image sums up my thoughts to that nutty prediction.

Grats Adam Orth for warning us all.
#2SocranPosted 4/7/2013 1:00:29 AM(edited)
Actually, most people said the PS4 would. Xbox fans tend to be quiet about this kind of thing. Which is wierd, because Microsoft is the company that actively works to hinder the competition.

Also, I think it's possible that people might be mixing up rumors. From what I've heard, most rumors suggest that the NextBox will be "always on" (pre-loading your games and downloading updates and such), with no mention that it's "always online" in such a way that it'll prevent you from playing if your internet goes down. Admittedly, some rumors have said as much, but it's common for false rumors to "elaborate" on the most common ones.

I have a lot of experience with miscommunication, so I can pretty easily see how this could get mixed up. Adam Orth says he "doesn't get the drama around having an always on console" - and while he's clearly a jerk, it's possible that the reason he doesn't get it is because people are upset over something that doesn't apply here. I see arguments all the time where people go back and forth for hours and still never realize that both sides are talking about two completely different things.

That said, I would love for this all to be true and for Microsoft's next console to be mostly ignored. I feel the introduction of a third major console, especially so similar to one of the others, shook up the industry too much, forcing multiplats to become the majority and causing "Hollywood Syndrome" to set in. Not to mention that, between the big three, Microsoft is the one with the most underhanded business practices, with the only complaints about the others being "They're not doing what I want, they must have abandoned the fans."
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#3OzzieArcanePosted 4/7/2013 1:38:54 AM
He was talking about always online dude, that's why when someone brought up the Diablo III and Sim City issues as well as people's internet going out his response was "Electricity Goes out too" which is a false equivalent.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#4halfelven23Posted 4/7/2013 1:42:21 AM
soccer moms and kids will kill the WiiU
#5SocranPosted 4/7/2013 2:08:41 AM
OzzieArcane posted...
He was talking about always online dude, that's why when someone brought up the Diablo III and Sim City issues as well as people's internet going out his response was "Electricity Goes out too" which is a false equivalent.

Like I said, I've seen plenty of arguments where people are completely unaware that the other person's talking about something completely different, no matter how obvious it may seem. And bystanders think it's so obvious that they never bother correcting them, or at least double-checking to make sure they're talking about it. I seem to be the only person on the planet who's able to see this. For that matter, people never double-check the parts of another person's argument that give evidence that they're talking about something different, instead saying "That makes so little sense that you must be an idiot."

If the next Xbox had an always online feature - that is, it's able to download updates and such while you're not using it - then he could think people are complaining about what would happen if at any given moment it wasn't able to make use of that feature.

If this was the case, then Orth would obviously think that's what people are talking about, because it's the truth. And the person he's arguing with would assume that Orth is obviously talking about what everyone's upset about, because they don't realize there's another fact that can confuse the matter. That's how these things always go.

Now, I'm not saying that it's definitely the case, I'm just saying that it's a possibility people always overlook. As much as I hope the people's assumption is right.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#6nonexistingheroPosted 4/7/2013 2:23:28 AM
OzzieArcane posted...

Pretty much. Internet isn't nearly as reliable or stable as electricity. Not nearly as widespread either. For a regular console, you can pretty much hook it up anywhere where there's some powerplugs. Just need a plug for the TV and one for the console. Then you can just start playing.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7AwayFromHerePosted 4/7/2013 3:14:49 AM
There was the thing on Kotaku that came out that said if your connection drops for 3 minutes, the game or app boots you out in an attempt to find out why.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#8nonexistingheroPosted 4/7/2013 3:16:25 AM
I just call that anti-consumer practices. I'm hoping it either bombs or that pirates will hack the hell out of that thing, if you really do require to be always online.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#9teehee23Posted 4/7/2013 4:02:54 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
I just call that anti-consumer practices. I'm hoping it either bombs or that pirates will hack the hell out of that thing, if you really do require to be always online.

Zero (0) chance that nextXbox requires all the time online to play.
Hater kids can hope all they want but Xbox360 has been the bestest selling console in the U.S. for 27 (twenty-seven) months in a row.
Microsoft knows what they're doing.

You're welcome.
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#10SocranPosted 4/7/2013 4:26:12 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
There was the thing on Kotaku that came out that said if your connection drops for 3 minutes, the game or app boots you out in an attempt to find out why.

Socran posted...
Admittedly, some rumors have said as much, but it's common for false rumors to "elaborate" on the most common ones.

Plenty of rumors have gone on about the NextBox being "always on", to the point that it's probably safe to assume that they're true. But Kotaku, who's known for posting false rumors (remember when Final Fantasy Versus XIII was cancelled?), had someone elaborate and make a claim that nobody else had ever said. It's easy to make your hoax look more believable by integrating the most popular rumors into it. Especially if what you've just added to it is a recent hot-button topic.

teehee23 posted...
Zero (0) chance that nextXbox requires all the time online to play.
Hater kids can hope all they want but Xbox360 has been the bestest selling console in the U.S. for 27 (twenty-seven) months in a row.
Microsoft knows what they're doing.

You're welcome.

Aaaand the extremism on the other side of the fence. Of course there's a chance. While it's true that my sig applies here, and we shouldn't just assume that the company will make such a massive mistake when fans could easily have gotten mixed messages, it's still well within the boundaries of what Microsoft is capable of doing. Especially since it's all-but-confirmed that Kinect will be built in, and that Microsoft essentially wants it to "take over" people's living rooms.

Also, we are well aware that letters can be used to spell out numbers. You don't have to repeat yourself.

You're welcome.
---