Going to upgrade to Wii U, couple of questions

#1Sephiroth311Posted 4/7/2013 2:32:30 AM(edited)
1)Can you play VC games on the gamepad now? Last I checked this was in development but is it actually possible now? If so can you play ALL VC games on it?

2)I read something about having to pay to upgrade your VC games that you transfer from the Wii. What exactly does this upgrade do? If you buy VC games on the Wii U do you still have to pay for this upgrade on each game.

3)Is there any point keeping my Wii remotes? I don't have Motion Plus and am I right in understanding that most games require it now? I've noticed that its cheaper now to buy a remote with MP integrated with a nunchuck so I might as well get a couple of those.

4)Can you play VC games using the Pro controller?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/7/2013 2:47:18 AM(edited)
1: The Wii U VC is set to launch sometime this month. Until then, there have been a few promotional VC games that have been launched at a temporary price of 30 cents, including Balloon Fight, F-Zero, currently Punch Out, next is Super Metroid, and they can be played on the Gamepad, but until the Wii U VC goes live, those are it.

2: That's a common misconception. It's not an upgrade. The Wii VC and the Wii U VC are separate entities. A game on one and the same game on the other are two different items. The so-called "upgrade charge" is an 80% discount on Wii U VC games if you already have the game on the Wii VC through the Wii Channel.

3: Some games don't need the +, the WM+ attachment is compatible, and of course you can still use the Wii Remotes for Wii games.

4: You can play the current and future released Wii U VC games on the Gamepad, but not the Wii VC games.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3metroid02Posted 4/7/2013 2:50:21 AM
1) Well, as for VC games, at the moment the only Wii U VC games you can play are the three games already released (F-Zero, Punchout and Balloon Fight). Those games can be played on the Wii U gamepad of course. You can also play your Wii VC games that you already bought by transfering over your data from the Wii to the Wii U, but you wont be able to play them on your Gamepad (because to access anything related to the Wii you will have to launch the wii app which basically reboots your console as a Wii).

2) Yes, once Nintendo releases its VC for the Wii U you can purchase upgrades for the games you all ready bought for your Wii. These upgrades are going to cost only a fraction of the price the game would cost otherwise.

3) Keep them. There are still plenty of games that support the non wii motion plus controls (such as New Super Mario Bros U and BLOPS2). In fact, the only game I know that requires motion plus is Nintendoland (and that only for 2 of the dozen or so minigames). So yeah, I suggest you just keep them and if wii motion plus really does become somehting you absolutely need you can just buy the attachments (which is what I did).

4) I have no idea. I think its too early to tell and I havent tried it yet with the three already released games.
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#4Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 2:50:31 AM
Thanks, might wait another month or so then. Also:

5)There are a couple of games that I haven't bought yet such as Mega Man X and Chrono Trigger, am I better off buying those when the Wii U VC launches or is it likely that I'll have to wait for them to be re-released?
---
#5metroid02Posted 4/7/2013 2:57:30 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...

5)There are a couple of games that I haven't bought yet such as Mega Man X and Chrono Trigger, am I better off buying those when the Wii U VC launches or is it likely that I'll have to wait for them to be re-released?

Well, I have no idea if they will ever launch on the Wii U VC, but you can always buy the game off the Wii VC and play them then on the Wii U (but you wont have any of the added Wii U features like off TV Play).
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#6Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/7/2013 2:57:32 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...

That's a question that I would think many would be wondering about. Considering how long it's taken to get the Wii U VC up and running, I would think they've been spending all this time setting up all preexisting VC games to be available a Wii U's VC launch, but that's just an assumption.

If you don't mind paying a little bit more, I'd say buy MMX now on the Wii VC (which will set the Wii U VC price for it to $1.50), and get CT on the Wii U VC, as I'm doubtful that Wii VC game saves will transfer to Wii U VC games, but again, that's just what I'm guessing.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#7Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 3:12:35 AM
Sounds like I'm better off holding fire for now. The only reason I want one is to play my VC games on the gamepad so if thats not going to be possible I may not bother at all.

I don't really mind about saves not transfering as it will give me a reason to play through them all again.
---
#8Ianio82Posted 4/7/2013 8:53:36 AM
Sephiroth311 posted...
Sounds like I'm better off holding fire for now. The only reason I want one is to play my VC games on the gamepad so if thats not going to be possible I may not bother at all.

I don't really mind about saves not transfering as it will give me a reason to play through them all again.

Not sure if this is an option for you... But since you say you just want to play on your gamepad, look into a Vita. I have both Wii U and a Vita, and use the Vita to play portable Chrono Trigger AND Chrono Cross. :D Or for less money, a PSP would do the trick as well.