Is Nintendo too dependent on Mario's success?

#51Wiiplayer111Posted 4/7/2013 8:20:23 PM
sonic777 posted...
Wiiplayer111 posted...
sonic777 posted...

Mickey isn't Disney, but Mario is Nintendo.

Also, I don't see Mickey Mouse on everything Disney does, so that's not a very good point.

Actually in all their theme parks and shows there is a lot of Mickey related things or Mickey himself. Even now while Disney does not come out and say its true, even though they hint at it constantly to the point you know its true, they hide Mickey Mouse ears into pretty much everything they make.

Anyway my point being, to say Mickey Mouse isn't Disney is ludicrous, or you've never seen any Disney items.

See, here's the thing. Disney isn't dependent on Mickey the way Nintendo is on Mario.

Any of their Pixar Films are instantly recognizable as "Disney", the Disney Princesses are recognizable as Disney, and Mickey isn't in the only mascot that Disney resorts to using when it comes to brand recognition. To say that Nintendo doesn't use Mario like this is actually more ludicrous than saying Mickey isn't Disney, when he hasn't been seen in film in 18 years. (His appearances at theme parks is to be expected.)

Well if thats your argument you don't need Mario to recognize that Link/Kirby/Fox/etc, is Nintendo. You don't need Mario to recognize the Nintendo brand.

And while Mickey isn't in any recent films unless you count the many references to him, he has been in films in the past ten years, and he is constantly on TV. So to say Disney doesn't use him constantly is ludicrous.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#52The_Shadow_LinkPosted 4/8/2013 12:32:57 AM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
sonic777 posted...
Wiiplayer111 posted...
sonic777 posted...

Mickey isn't Disney, but Mario is Nintendo.

Also, I don't see Mickey Mouse on everything Disney does, so that's not a very good point.

Actually in all their theme parks and shows there is a lot of Mickey related things or Mickey himself. Even now while Disney does not come out and say its true, even though they hint at it constantly to the point you know its true, they hide Mickey Mouse ears into pretty much everything they make.

Anyway my point being, to say Mickey Mouse isn't Disney is ludicrous, or you've never seen any Disney items.

See, here's the thing. Disney isn't dependent on Mickey the way Nintendo is on Mario.

Any of their Pixar Films are instantly recognizable as "Disney", the Disney Princesses are recognizable as Disney, and Mickey isn't in the only mascot that Disney resorts to using when it comes to brand recognition. To say that Nintendo doesn't use Mario like this is actually more ludicrous than saying Mickey isn't Disney, when he hasn't been seen in film in 18 years. (His appearances at theme parks is to be expected.)

Well if thats your argument you don't need Mario to recognize that Link/Kirby/Fox/etc, is Nintendo. You don't need Mario to recognize the Nintendo brand.

And while Mickey isn't in any recent films unless you count the many references to him, he has been in films in the past ten years, and he is constantly on TV. So to say Disney doesn't use him constantly is ludicrous.

I actually did a post about this a while back. Did you know that Disney did too much Mickey? Mickeys popularity was dwindling in favour of Pluto, Donald and Goofy in the 30's and dsepite various reboots, Mickey was eventually dropped from Cartoons in the 50's, not appearing in a cartoon again until the 80's in Mickeys Christmas Carol (And even then he isn't the main character in it, Scrooge Macduck took that role)

They are trying to put Mickey in things but it's still very difficult for them because he's the mascot and has to be seen as this patron figure. Runaway Brain is a great cartoon, but Mainstream Disney won't even talk about it because of how Mickey acts in it.

Heck, I doubt Disney will even talk about Epic Mickey now after the second game flopped.

They've been trying to make a Mickey Movie for a while, but just you wait as that clusters in the dust for years on end.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#53GLDanzegoPosted 4/8/2013 4:41:27 AM
sonic777 posted...
Buretsu posted...
sonic777 posted...
My logic is not flawed at all:

If more people agree with me that Nintendo depends too much on Mario's success on a predominantly Nintendo board, that's all the support I need.

Doesn't actually make you correct, though. Takes more than people agreeing with you for that.

I don't see that as a bad thing. You and GDL, Buretsu, trying to make that argument (me saying Nintendo is dependent on Mario's success is a bad thing) is also a fallacy: Straw Man.

Good day to ya.

A) That's not a straw man
B) That's not what anyone's trying to argue

Again, this is a predominantly Nintendo board that usually polls of this sort is seen as defensive. Until GDL went full R, this was pretty civilized. Attacking my "argument" (which my OP is not, it's my reasoning for forming my opinion, and since I'm not pretending Mario is the "only franchise [Nintendo] has [hint: that's the strawman, and it hints I think Mario selling well is somehow a bad thing]) is just plain silly.

Again, this is a poll about Nintendo, not an attack on them. If you're so insecure that you have to resort to attacking someone's reasoning just to get some attention, then more power to you. I'm about to delete my posts in here over this petty argument, because it's stupid.

You obviously don't think Nintendo is too dependent on Mario. I disagree. Good day to ya.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You are so in over your head, lol.

Also, anyone can find people to agree with them on something here in this world. Just because you find some people that agree with you doesn't mean you're right or have a valid point.

Flounder more, please.

--
#54senelcoolidge_Posted 4/8/2013 5:09:00 AM
Is Frosted Flakes too dependent on Tony the Tiger?
Is Trix too dependent on the Rabbit?
Is Procter & Gamble too dependent Mr. Clean?
Etc;

If you have a mascot, you use him to sell your products. It's not rocket science people.
#55icarus231Posted 4/8/2013 5:21:36 AM
deathslove posted...
Sharky8 posted...
Is Disney too dependent on Mickey?

No. And neither is Nintendo too dependent on Mario. If you look at the best selling Wii games, most of the top 10 are not Mario titles.

NOT MARIO Wii Sports 81.64 million
SOMEWHAT MARIO Mario Kart Wii 34.01 million
NOT MARIO Wii Sports Resort 31.54 million
NOT MARIO Wii Play 28.02 million
MARIO New Super Mario Bros. Wii 27.61 million
NOT MARIO Wii Fit 22.67 million
NOT MARIO Wii Fit Plus 20.48 million
NOT REALLY MARIO Super Smash Bros. Brawl 10.79 million
MARIO Super Mario Galaxy 10.68 million
NOT MARIO Wii Party 7.94 million

There are 2 Mario games in the top 10. 1 more game centered around Mario characters (Mario Kart) and 1 more game that has Mario in it but in no way features Mario or Mario characters (Smash Bros).

So, arguably, 3 games could be Mario, and possibly a 4th (Brawl). But this shows Nintendo's success is based not around Mario but around fun casual games like Sports, Resort, Fit, Play, Party, etc.

So nintendo depends too much on mario and wii gimmick games.
That is what the entire list is.

You can say the wii is a gimmick all you want but it sold. Rememind me again what was the 306's top selling games again. Oh that was kinect adventures which would also be a "gimmick" game. You do realise the fun so called casual games vastly out sell mainstream games like FPS and the such.
#56sonic777(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:37:56 AM
^^^

More like "pack-in games" will always outsell games that aren't packed in.
---
squatch22 = defeated
#57icarus231Posted 4/8/2013 11:50:03 AM
sonic777 posted...
^^^

More like "pack-in games" will always outsell games that aren't packed in.

While mario kart was bundled it still sold well. Do you really think 34 mil in sales were all bundles? Even if all but a third were bundled it still would have outpreformed ever ps3 game
#58zatOMGPosted 4/8/2013 12:07:27 PM
sonic777 is a grand arguer and truther!!!

Seriously, give up man. You are terrible at this.
#59Omega_BlackPosted 4/8/2013 12:12:44 PM
Of course it is.

If Mario ever fell out of favor with consumers Nintendo would certainly have to scramble to find something to rejuvenate interest or take the risk of creating something new and hope it is just as compelling.

The same can definitely be said for the competition and their bread-and-butter IPs.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#60Redjoker777Posted 4/8/2013 12:13:14 PM
So wait, what does selling big mean then? You mentioned earlier that you are not talking about game sales, so under what context are you referring too?
---
Loshadt-"There are times when I wish I were capable of hating people to death."