Well, I think we can safely count out one of the Wii U's competitors.

#1Enigma149Posted 4/7/2013 6:33:18 PM
Assuming these rumors are true, of course.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/subscription-based-xbox-720-priced-at-300-with-500-standard-model-6406544

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has claimed during the latest What The Tech episode (via NeoGAF) that the Xbox 720 will launch in November beginning at $300 for a subscription-based model. A standard model will sell for around $500, he said.

Thurrott also shared information about the Xbox 720's reported always-online requirement. He said this a confirmed feature for the platform, claiming the system's notes specifically state that the Xbox 720 "must be Internet-connected to use."

The Xbox 720 reportedly stops functioning if an Internet connection drops for three minutes.

Though I will admit that the 3-minute-limit isn't quite so bad as the instantly that was previously rumored.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#2AstralFrostPosted 4/7/2013 6:34:34 PM
How are countries without internet supposed to play their 720? GG noob Microsoft.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#3_Izanagi_Posted 4/7/2013 6:37:52 PM
Microsoft is competition to no one. Microsoft is too busy perfecting its trollface to churn out any good products. The competition will be between Sony and Nintendo.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#4SegavsCapcomPosted 4/7/2013 6:39:11 PM
Can someone explain to me why there's so much controversy surrounding an always online system?
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#5BuretsuPosted 4/7/2013 6:39:16 PM
AstralFrost posted...
How are countries without internet supposed to play their 720? GG noob Microsoft.

Like anybody outside of the US will buy one.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#6Enigma149(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 7:12:19 PM(edited)
SegavsCapcom posted...
Can someone explain to me why there's so much controversy surrounding an always online system?

There are three main issues:

1) The internet, great as it is, isn't advanced, reliable, or prevalent enough to support an always-online system. Plenty of people lack internet, while plenty more only have dial-up, or too slow a connection for an always-online system to work. Likewise, if one's router is knocked out, or one's service becomes disconnected because of something on the provider's end, it becomes impossible to play games.

2) It opens up another avenue for console failure. As it is now, a console can fail if its RAM fails, or its CPU, or GPU, or disc drive, or (exempting the PS3) its hard drive. However, if your Xbox 360 loses its ability to connect to the internet, that may suck, but you can still play single-player games. Not so in an always-online system.

3) Eventually, it will become impossible to connect. For example, 10, 15 years from now, Microsoft will undoubtedly be releasing the Xbox 1420. At this point, they may say, "You know what, we're losing money keeping the Xbox 720 servers up - that was two generations ago," and disconnect them. Thus, all remaining Xbox 720 consoles become glorified bricks. This wouldn't be a real problem if the successor system supported BC, but do you expect them to? And even if this doesn't happen, eventually IEEE 802.11 will be replaced, at which point, unless one keeps legacy networking support, it becomes impossible to connect the always-online console to the internet.
---
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#7SocranPosted 4/7/2013 6:50:08 PM(edited)
SegavsCapcom posted...

The problem stems from the fact that you literally can't play any of your games should your internet ever go out for any reason. It's one thing if individual games inherently require the internet, like an MMORPG or something, but it's completely unnecessary as a system-wide "feature".

It becomes a huge problem for people who don't live in the most "connected" places. Your internet may not go down that often, but the same can't be said for everyone. And, believe it or not, not all people are selfish. If they hear that a company is screwing over any of their customers without a good enough reason, they tend to refuse to support that company, even if the problem doesn't affect themselves.

Another potential issue is what else this might imply about the system. What if this is just the tip of the iceberg, and the online connectivity is used to enforce the "no used games" policy that everyone's paranoid of?

Admittedly, some of this stuff is blown out of proportion and involves people jumping to conclusions, but these are all reasons someone could be upset.

Enigma149 posted...
Xbox 1420

1440. 360 x 2 = 720. 720 x 2 = 1440.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#8emagdnEPosted 4/7/2013 6:53:04 PM
lol

all PS4 has to do to win this generation is not repeat the PS3's mistakes and hit the ground running

it's already too late for Wii U if mother ****ing Super Mario Bros. couldn't push sales
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#9Ultima_MagikarpPosted 4/7/2013 7:04:53 PM
Enigma149 posted...
SegavsCapcom posted...

3) Eventually, it will become impossible to connect. For example, 10, 15 years from now, Microsoft will undoubtedly be releasing the Xbox 1420. At this point, they may say, "You know what, we're losing money keeping the Xbox 720 servers up - that was two generations ago," and disconnect them. Thus, all remaining Xbox 720 consoles become glorified bricks. This wouldn't be a real problem if the successor system supported BC, but do you expect them to? And even if this doesn't happen, eventually IEEE 801.11 will be replaced, at which point, unless one keeps legacy networking support, it becomes impossible to connect the always-online console to the internet.

1) IEEE 802.11
2) That's wireless, Ethernet will likely be around for a while, unless fiber optic cables get really cheap, really fast.
#10Enigma149(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2013 7:13:07 PM
Ultima_Magikarp posted...
Enigma149 posted...
SegavsCapcom posted...

3) Eventually, it will become impossible to connect. For example, 10, 15 years from now, Microsoft will undoubtedly be releasing the Xbox 1420. At this point, they may say, "You know what, we're losing money keeping the Xbox 720 servers up - that was two generations ago," and disconnect them. Thus, all remaining Xbox 720 consoles become glorified bricks. This wouldn't be a real problem if the successor system supported BC, but do you expect them to? And even if this doesn't happen, eventually IEEE 801.11 will be replaced, at which point, unless one keeps legacy networking support, it becomes impossible to connect the always-online console to the internet.

1) IEEE 802.11
2) That's wireless, Ethernet will likely be around for a while, unless fiber optic cables get really cheap, really fast.

*sigh*

Figured I was getting that wrong - to be honest, I'm just surprised I got that close.

And yes, Ethernet will probably stick around for a while. But it, too, will eventually be replaced...just ask dial-up lines.
---