Well, I think we can safely count out one of the Wii U's competitors.

#11Xenesis XenonPosted 4/7/2013 8:15:40 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Can someone explain to me why there's so much controversy surrounding an always online system?

Simply put, "always online" is an oxymoron outside of major urban centres. And often even in major urban centres that are not the USA.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#12Wiiplayer111Posted 4/7/2013 8:16:45 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Can someone explain to me why there's so much controversy surrounding an always online system?

1. The internet in a lot of places is still very spotty. Even major cities your lucky to get a good connection.

2. It takes money to keep up a fast constant connection.

3. Data caps. If it uses up your internet, not only will you hit your cap faster, you won't be able to play once the cap is hit.

4. If its all server based, eventually servers are shut down, rendering the entire thing useless.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#13ChipChippersonPosted 4/7/2013 9:25:20 PM
Ok so the Xbox brand has probably just committed suicide, now let's just wait for one of Sony's typical stupid/suicidal decisions, (no bc is pretty g-damn close, I'm sure the PS4 price tag will be the trigger pull) to have a complete industry meltdown.

I said on another topic that at the end of the day the Wii U will be the least offensive option for gamers this coming gen and I'm standing by it.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#14andrea987Posted 4/7/2013 9:36:44 PM
I'm having a hard time believing these rumours, as not even PCs 'stops functioning' when offline. I'll admit it's strange, though, that MS hasn't come out yet with a clear statement denying all these rumours.
Could someone explain, anyhow, in what ways MS would benefit from having the 'always online' on their console?
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
Just finished: Batman ACAE, Trine 2 DC.
#15FFXIgaiaknightPosted 4/7/2013 9:50:49 PM
microsofts turn for the 3rd system curse lol
---
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#16GamerguymassPosted 4/7/2013 9:54:41 PM
andrea987 posted...
I'm having a hard time believing these rumours, as not even PCs 'stops functioning' when offline. I'll admit it's strange, though, that MS hasn't come out yet with a clear statement denying all these rumours.
Could someone explain, anyhow, in what ways MS would benefit from having the 'always online' on their console?

This is a terrible comparison. For starters computers were around long before the internet. But basically all computers function without the internet at all. Its not needed to use it. People use them to do taxes, store documents/pictures/videos, they are used to create various other programs. All of this can be done without the internet being needed.

Aside from which MS has something like 95% of the market for a computer's OS, so it isn't needed. Don't let Apple people fool you. Mac users are a very VERY loud (and annoying and stuck up) minority who enjoy overpaying for inferior hardware. This is the largest market share Apple has ever had in the OS business I believe and its only 5 or 6%.
#171shadetail1Posted 4/7/2013 9:56:58 PM
andrea987 posted...

More control over the console hardware. Protection of software copyright. Better ability to keep tabs on their customers' gaming and online habits. There are plenty of potential benefits.

The problem isn't that MS wouldn't see any benefits, it's that those benefits would, in one way or another, screw over their customers.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#18andrea987Posted 4/7/2013 10:12:25 PM
Gamerguymass posted...
andrea987 posted...

This is a terrible comparison. For starters computers were around long before the internet. But basically all computers function without the internet at all. Its not needed to use it. People use them to do taxes, store documents/pictures/videos, they are used to create various other programs. All of this can be done without the internet being needed.

Aside from which MS has something like 95% of the market for a computer's OS, so it isn't needed. Don't let Apple people fool you. Mac users are a very VERY loud (and annoying and stuck up) minority who enjoy overpaying for inferior hardware. This is the largest market share Apple has ever had in the OS business I believe and its only 5 or 6%.

I didn't mention Apple. And that was my point. I was talking about modern PCs and newer OS, of course. Even ps4/720 are claiming to be doing a lot of other stuff, aside from gaming, so how it's possible they would 'stop functioning' when offline? And, at least until now, online connectivity is more relevant to PCs than it is to gaming.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
#19andrea987Posted 4/7/2013 10:14:42 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
andrea987 posted...

More control over the console hardware. Protection of software copyright. Better ability to keep tabs on their customers' gaming and online habits. There are plenty of potential benefits.

The problem isn't that MS wouldn't see any benefits, it's that those benefits would, in one way or another, screw over their customers.

Exactly. Who, in their right mind, would buy something like that? That was my point. Even MS, surely, can see that?
---
#20The_King82Posted 4/7/2013 10:19:32 PM
Next gen is a two console race between Sony and MS. The only competition is each other.
---
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM!!!!!