Well, I think we can safely count out one of the Wii U's competitors.

#51PendragoonPosted 4/8/2013 11:59:09 AM
If the 720 is always online, you can bet hackers will be constantly attacking the network to bring it down and prove it does not work. Imagine a PSN style outage during launch, that would ruin the system. MS would be fools to do it.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#52LuuthianPosted 4/8/2013 12:05:47 PM
MirageStriker posted...
Luuthian posted...
In any case, like I said, the "always on" functionality won't be a bother to most people in reality. As we speak Steam has 5 million users online, and many millions more are connected to PSN or Xbox Live. Always On isn't the problem. What matters more is that people want it. So long as people desire the console enough they'll make whatever leaps are required to get the console running. The only hurdle I really forsee is people who lack decent wifi in their houses. No one wants to run cables o an xbox if possible.

Hey but you wanna hear the joke about it.. Those thing might be "Always On" but they don't force you to be Always On to activate the core feature of what the thing they run on and that in itself is the problem. Really it isn't the always on...it's the fact they are forcing you or whatever you're doing is going to get dumped on until you bring back your network.

Yes, and I get that. The internet is barely ever out though. Yes it happens, but it's not as if the internet as a whole goes down every other weekend. In most cases internet drops out a result of a power outage or maintenance. In both cases you are powerless to do anything about it and you either wouldn't be able to play games anyways (no power) or you wouldn't be able to play core online features (maintenance).

They're imposing a three minute time limit. For most latency issues, that will be more than plenty.

Too much of a big deal is being made about always-online here. Online features are EVERYWHERE today, and they're a core component of most games or systems (or phones). People live just fine with this already.

The bigger issue is, again, demand. It's what's going to be offered. It's how they're going to market it. Always-online won't be the clinching aspect of the platform. The PS4 event wowed people with graphics and features. Xbox will need to keep up that pace. If they don't have their own special hook... No one will care.
---
The power is in your mind, to shake the planets and conquer time
Where's Waldo married Carmen Sandiego... And no one found their wedding! .
#53Enigma149(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 12:07:10 PM
lp913 posted...
It hasn't really been brought up yet, that that would be a HUGE BLOW to Western third party devs (especially the one's who've been ignoring Nintendo) as the XBOX brand has been very profitable FOR THEM in the last gen.

With always online and next to no Backwards Compatibility which will HURT 720 adaption rates when you still have $99 USD 360s being sold (though it would help if XBLA accounts actually end up being transferable to 720, maybe..) the Western third parties would really have to seriously re- assess their next-gen priorities.

IF 720 falters due to MS's extreme arrogance:

1. Third parties will keep giving Nintendo the shaft, and stick to mainly PC/PS4 development. Problem is the PS4 itself won't be cheap anytime soon, and may not offer a cheaper alternative at the start, motivating devs with their ridiculously inflated budgets to keep supporting 360/PS3 for massive (if not, all-out) cross-generational support just to stay afloat. Some devs, like Ubisoft, are already on this potentially growing new gaming trend.

OR

2. They have no choice but to give Wii U a second look (i'm lookin at you, EA as an example!), and will be cheaper to develop for. Installbase is likely to grow a LOT quicker than vs. either 720 or PS4 for that matter (with Nintendo first-party system sellers coming out) which can increase the potential for more return on investments with cheaper to develop for Wii U versions of their cross-generational multiplatform games.

They do have a third option, actually: continue making games for the 7th Generation systems and the PC, and just port those games to the Wii U / PS4 / 720. Of course, this wouldn't be very good, either - after all, they're essentially releasing 7th Generation games on 8th Generation consoles and expecting them to compete with 8th Generation games on those consoles. At the same time, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft would have to make games that make people consider upgrading - Nintendo, of course, has no trouble with this, and neither should Sony. But Microsoft...well...outside of Halo, they really don't have any system-selling IPs.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#54lp913Posted 4/8/2013 12:12:30 PM
Enigma149 posted...
lp913 posted...
It hasn't really been brought up yet, that that would be a HUGE BLOW to Western third party devs (especially the one's who've been ignoring Nintendo) as the XBOX brand has been very profitable FOR THEM in the last gen.

With always online and next to no Backwards Compatibility which will HURT 720 adaption rates when you still have $99 USD 360s being sold (though it would help if XBLA accounts actually end up being transferable to 720, maybe..) the Western third parties would really have to seriously re- assess their next-gen priorities.

IF 720 falters due to MS's extreme arrogance:

1. Third parties will keep giving Nintendo the shaft, and stick to mainly PC/PS4 development. Problem is the PS4 itself won't be cheap anytime soon, and may not offer a cheaper alternative at the start, motivating devs with their ridiculously inflated budgets to keep supporting 360/PS3 for massive (if not, all-out) cross-generational support just to stay afloat. Some devs, like Ubisoft, are already on this potentially growing new gaming trend.

OR

2. They have no choice but to give Wii U a second look (i'm lookin at you, EA as an example!), and will be cheaper to develop for. Installbase is likely to grow a LOT quicker than vs. either 720 or PS4 for that matter (with Nintendo first-party system sellers coming out) which can increase the potential for more return on investments with cheaper to develop for Wii U versions of their cross-generational multiplatform games.

They do have a third option, actually: continue making games for the 7th Generation systems and the PC, and just port those games to the Wii U / PS4 / 720. Of course, this wouldn't be very good, either - after all, they're essentially releasing 7th Generation games on 8th Generation consoles and expecting them to compete with 8th Generation games on those consoles. At the same time, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft would have to make games that make people consider upgrading - Nintendo, of course, has no trouble with this, and neither should Sony. But Microsoft...well...outside of Halo, they really don't have any system-selling IPs.

Exactly, and your third option overall looks to be the most likely scenario for the foreseeable gaming console future, likely between this fall and well into 2016 if the trends and rumors hold to be accurate.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#55mattersvillePosted 4/8/2013 12:20:51 PM
I'm sure none of you can answer, but what's it sending/receiving when it's online? A lot of people have data caps. This may spell trouble for such individuals.
---
My Blog/Comic is funnier than your Blog/Comic.
http://sundaysmash.wordpress.com/
#56DaMan1900Posted 4/8/2013 12:21:25 PM
i wasnt going to pick up a 720 at all in the first few years manly due to three things

1. Terrible hardware reliability/design
2. forced kinect
3. No first party IPs i enjoy

now add this strong rumor of always on internet connection requirement and you have completely lost a sale here.

It may just be a rumor but the rumors about the ps4 were pretty spot on, whats to say the 720 rumors arent in the ballpark. That one idiot from the other day that works for MS i forgot his name made it pretty clear that this rumor is probably true...
---
Ex Sony Fanboy
#57LuuthianPosted 4/8/2013 12:34:05 PM
mattersville posted...
I'm sure none of you can answer, but what's it sending/receiving when it's online? A lot of people have data caps. This may spell trouble for such individuals.

Information. It could be sending user data, achievements, pre-loaded demos or game purchases, etc.

The most crucial one would be user data. Always on is NOT to "enhance the customer experience". It's to read hardware data and other information that keeps you playing legitimate copies of games.

That sort of information doesn't eat much data, however. Game downloads are what do that. Your average user would be more than fine.
---
The power is in your mind, to shake the planets and conquer time
Where's Waldo married Carmen Sandiego... And no one found their wedding! .
#58McMarblesPosted 4/8/2013 12:38:18 PM(edited)
SegavsCapcom posted...
Can someone explain to me why there's so much controversy surrounding an always online system?

Ask anyone who bought Diablo 3 or SimCity '13.
---
Currently playing: Tales of the Abyss (3DS version), Pushmo
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#59MirageStrikerPosted 4/8/2013 12:41:36 PM
Luuthian posted...
MirageStriker posted...
Luuthian posted...
In any case, like I said, the "always on" functionality won't be a bother to most people in reality. As we speak Steam has 5 million users online, and many millions more are connected to PSN or Xbox Live. Always On isn't the problem. What matters more is that people want it. So long as people desire the console enough they'll make whatever leaps are required to get the console running. The only hurdle I really forsee is people who lack decent wifi in their houses. No one wants to run cables o an xbox if possible.

Hey but you wanna hear the joke about it.. Those thing might be "Always On" but they don't force you to be Always On to activate the core feature of what the thing they run on and that in itself is the problem. Really it isn't the always on...it's the fact they are forcing you or whatever you're doing is going to get dumped on until you bring back your network.

Yes, and I get that. The internet is barely ever out though. Yes it happens, but it's not as if the internet as a whole goes down every other weekend. In most cases internet drops out a result of a power outage or maintenance. In both cases you are powerless to do anything about it and you either wouldn't be able to play games anyways (no power) or you wouldn't be able to play core online features (maintenance).

They're imposing a three minute time limit. For most latency issues, that will be more than plenty.

Too much of a big deal is being made about always-online here. Online features are EVERYWHERE today, and they're a core component of most games or systems (or phones). People live just fine with this already.

The bigger issue is, again, demand. It's what's going to be offered. It's how they're going to market it. Always-online won't be the clinching aspect of the platform. The PS4 event wowed people with graphics and features. Xbox will need to keep up that pace. If they don't have their own special hook... No one will care.

Well the main dislike about Always on obviously comes from the Diablo 3 and now SimCity attempts. Most folks expect the 720 to give them massive amounts of problems just like both games...and the thing is what MS is going to do. How well is it going to work out for us, the consumer. I mean what they are doing goes on a totally different scale.
#60mrpants_againPosted 4/8/2013 12:44:28 PM
Buretsu posted...
AstralFrost posted...
How are countries without internet supposed to play their 720? GG noob Microsoft.

Like anybody outside of the US will buy one.

As a 360 owner in the US, I can say that this needs to be QFT.
---
This Is What We Do! This is Who We Are!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YviYufXRw0g