Anyone else believe the PS2, Dreamcast, GC, Xbox were the last great systems?

#111badboyPosted 4/8/2013 10:48:05 AM
The last great home consoles, but handhelds are the way to go now for me.
#112CTBradumsPosted 4/8/2013 11:03:54 AM
Eh...not the last 'great' systems, but the last truly epic systems. Gaming is a different beast now than it was then. Trends and marketing have forced the industry to evolve into its current state, as opposed to the way it was in the early 2000's. Back then, it was at a prime balance between "nice and focused" and "widespread and marketed". It was a huge industry, but gaming was still gaming. Now, it's become another inflated market - too obsessed with finding the next gimmick or toy to incorporate for sales, or dumbing games down to bring in the ADHD-laden younger generations.

It's a business, so that's the way it is, but as someone who still remembers what it was like to play the Atari and NES as a tiny kid, it seems like the motives behind the industry have changed. It used to be devs focusing on making the funnest game in order to get sales, but now it seems like everyone's too driven on apps and gimmicks rather than quality. A crap game that can be played on a handheld or a console simultaneously is still a crap game, regardless of whatever nifty features have been developed. Same goes for motion controls and touchscreens.
#113nonexistingheroPosted 4/8/2013 11:08:18 AM
The biggest problem with this generation is that developers stopped building on the foundations they already have. Yeah, they did build on the foundations of the games they made this generation. But not from the the foundations of previous generations, for most part.

Generally, games had a lot more variety and creativity before the 7th generation. In this generation, gameplay took a back seat and it was all about graphics, cinematic storytelling, presentation, etc. All kinds of things that don't or hardly add anything to the gameplay.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#114mashuPosted 4/8/2013 11:10:08 AM
PS2, DC and GC were definitely the peak of gaming for me and I'd agree that they're probably the last truly great consoles in terms of breadth and style of games. There's still some good games here and there, but more and more the style of game I like seems to be moving to handhelds instead.
#115kimaochiPosted 4/8/2013 11:56:33 AM
Gaming from the DC up until the first couple years of the PS2 was really the last great era of gaming for me. When the GC and Xbox came around I started losing interest even though those systems had some mighty fine exclusives.

And then gaming devolved into what it is now. Almost every blockbuster hit nowadays has role-playing elements, upgrades, expansive cinematic emphasis, and downloadable content to pad up playing time when in fact the quality of the gameplay remains shallow. The only kinds of games today that are remotely interesting are indie developed ones like World of Goo and Braid.

And did anyone know that the last Dreamcast game came out just last year?!

#116clo24Posted 4/8/2013 12:09:55 PM
TC, you ever hear when old people say "They don't make music like they used too"

This is it for you!
#117Lelouch71Posted 4/8/2013 12:18:02 PM
JKatarn posted...
No, however I think people tend to think "X system was the greatest and could do no wrong" because of emotional attachment to the system/the past. I've been gaming for about 25 years now and in my experience there has always been a fair share of crap released on all systems with diamonds in the rough here and there.

It's not nostalgia at least for me. I genuinely believe both the PS1 and PS2 stomp a mudhole in all 3 of the Gen 7 system let alone the Xbox and GC. However, I feel that the 3DS has the potential to surpass or at least be on par with both. It's already well on its way and the system is only 2 years old. So I'm pretty open minded about their being better systems. I've been gaming for almost 21 years so I know how things work.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#118jaoman69Posted 4/8/2013 12:22:09 PM
wow u missed a whole generation.
#119Cloud75xPosted 4/8/2013 12:52:31 PM
I say every generation after those are the best.

Back then, if a game came out and it was glitched, broken, or easily exploited (aka game breakable)... tough luck. But now... things are updated and fixed and games get enhanced with DLC to increase its playability (or life span).
---
"That which does not become part of the one, shall become one with the void."
#120nil_camPosted 4/8/2013 1:22:40 PM
I was thinking about this a few days ago. I do think that generation was the last truly amazing, especially in terms of creativity in games. I cannot see games like Killer7, Okami, Odama or P.N. 03 being made in the current market. Hell, I doubt Wind Waker would have its distinct look after that generation. I don't think it's a mistake that the PS2/Xbox/GC generation seems to be the big breakthrough of video games as a business.