Devs of an established franchise don't need to listen to the fans...

#1nonexistingheroPosted 4/8/2013 11:25:07 AM
but I do think they should create the games with their fans in mind. Nintendo usually seems to do this right.

I hate all these modern reboots and sequels that are created for an entirely new audience, while basically giving the finger to the fans. Anyone agree?
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2lp913Posted 4/8/2013 11:28:28 AM
I do, and its even more appalling when said devs act all shocked and disappointed when their rebooted games didn't sell as nearly as much has they were hoping for across TWO consoles with equally sized install bases. (See Capcom with Devil May Cry AND Square-Enix with Tomb Raider).
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#3nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:39:22 AM(edited)
Well, Tomb Raider was just unrealistic expectations. It sold like 3.4 million worldwide so far and they still weren't satisfied. Not even Final Fantasy sells that much that fast. Probably only Dragon Quest mainline titles, but the final one bombed thanks to them being stupid enough of turning it in an MMORPG.
---
#4lp913Posted 4/8/2013 11:59:47 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Well, Tomb Raider was just unrealistic expectations. It sold like 3.4 million worldwide so far and they still weren't satisfied. Not even Final Fantasy sells that much that fast. Probably only Dragon Quest mainline titles, but the final one bombed thanks to them being stupid enough of turning it in an MMORPG.

Yeah, all these devs out here must remember that the industry is indeed fan driven. If you have these new ideas that totally deviate from the mechanics of what made your established franchise great to begin with, then its best to implement them into a new IP altogether. Even Nintendo learned this lesson themselves from the backlash Metroid: Other M got, and is less likely to take such a risk on a franchise like that one again.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#5RahzarXPosted 4/8/2013 12:01:42 PM
I've been under suspicion for a growing number of years that everyone who develops entertainment products is forced to live under a literal rock where they have one computer that can't access the internet.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#6IokuaPosted 4/8/2013 12:19:35 PM
nonexistinghero posted...

What parallel world do you live in where the mainline FF franchise doesn't sell that much in a month?
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#7nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 1:30:23 PM
FFXIII is the fastest selling FF game of all time. But in it's opening month... it's about 1.7 million sales for Japan and 1.3 million sales for the US. I couldn't find European numbers for that period, but it can't have been more than 750 (probably closer to 500k though). Anyhow, that seems to be only slightly more than Tomb Raider.

But guess what? They're not even counting digital sales of Tomb Raider (which basically rules out most PC copies). So all in all, the new Tomb Raider should've sold roughly 4 million copies.

Anyhow, Square-Enix is just f***ing stupid these days. They also made some dumb statement about it needing to be retail copies to make most profit. Which is stupid, because digital is much more profitable. Yes, creating game cases and shipping them might cost just as much. But there's no retailer taking away even more profit, which results in A LOT more profit per digital copy sold.

And I'm not sure how trustworthy IGN is with this, but according to them, Square-Enix needed to sell 14.9 million copies to make a profit on the game. Another example... Halo 4 cost MS roughly $ 100 million to create. It sold 3 million in its opening weekend and it raked in roughly $ 220 million on launch day. Basically, that's an immediate profit.

This would mean that Square-Enix had a budget of roughly $1 billion for Tomb Raider. Yes, a $1 billion game would need to sell roughly 15 million copies to get a profit. Tomb Raider a $1 billion game? F*** no, that would've made some f***ing headlines! Basically, they are full of s***.
---
#8ADHDguitarPosted 4/8/2013 1:38:12 PM
Tomb Raider was amazing though. DmC, not so much.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2