Is CoD qualified as a kiddy casual game?

#41sonic777Posted 4/9/2013 11:32:23 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
Disregarding the ratings, doesn't the casual nature of the gameplay and its immense popularity with kids make it a kiddy game in effect? (but not intent)

If so, then why aren't similar games on Xbox and PlayStation getting bashed for being "kiddy" or "casual?"

By this logic, you can make any and every game "kiddy" and "casual."
---
squatch22 = defeated
#42AceMosPosted 4/9/2013 11:40:21 PM
sonic777 posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
Disregarding the ratings, doesn't the casual nature of the gameplay and its immense popularity with kids make it a kiddy game in effect? (but not intent)

If so, then why aren't similar games on Xbox and PlayStation getting bashed for being "kiddy" or "casual?"

By this logic, you can make any and every game "kiddy" and "casual."

indeed

and thats the point

this is why i hate this hole hard core and casual mature kiddy bla bla bla BS

if you enjoy a game play it forget the ****ing labels
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#43Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 2:32:33 AM
vectorman5 posted...

Kids shouldn't be playing CoD though, but not so much for the gameplay. They shouldn't get it into their heads that the vocal exchanges that occur in those games are acceptable in any scenario.

Unfortunately, you may end up turning it into a forbidden fruit....ah who are we kidding, that's the entire reason.
#44akuma634Posted 4/10/2013 2:54:42 AM
Not at all. It's widely popular and kids do play it but that doesn't change the quality of the game. The games are actually fun if you give them a chance instead of just bandwagon hating them. The online just drops you in the world with no instruction or "hand holding," it's total sink or swim. You'll die a lot and it will get frustrating. When finally get the drop on somebody, it feels like a huge accomplishment. This is the same s*** fanboys say about Dark Souls while they laugh at COD for being popular. There's nothing wrong with the franchise, people just love to hate it.
#45kdognumba1Posted 4/10/2013 3:17:48 AM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
kiddy no, casual yes.

I second this.

Sure a lot of kids play it, so do a lot of other, older people who in general are newer to gaming and/or don't keep up with gaming. It's definitely casual though.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#46Skill4ReelPosted 4/10/2013 3:36:20 AM
If by "casual" you mean non-gamers. Then every game that sells in the millions is a "casual" game. Think about it.
#47DaLaggaPosted 4/10/2013 4:12:11 AM
akuma634 posted...
Not at all. It's widely popular and kids do play it but that doesn't change the quality of the game. The games are actually fun if you give them a chance instead of just bandwagon hating them. The online just drops you in the world with no instruction or "hand holding," it's total sink or swim. You'll die a lot and it will get frustrating. When finally get the drop on somebody, it feels like a huge accomplishment. This is the same s*** fanboys say about Dark Souls while they laugh at COD for being popular. There's nothing wrong with the franchise, people just love to hate it.

It's an FPS with some of the most dumbed down gameplay and shooting mechanics in existence. What exactly is there to explain? The entire game holds your hand and never lets go with simple gameplay where even terrible players will get kills. Hell, some of the games even give you buffs if you die too often. The maps are designed to be chaotic rather than anything requiring strategy or teamwork because why have those things when we can just mindlessly spray bullets at anything that moves?

Respawns are instant because, after all, little Timmy wouldn't like it if there were actual penalties for dying. And because of the cramped chaotic nature of all of the maps, you never have to go more than 5 seconds without seeing an enemy to shoot. Because, after all, having to tactically move around a map and balance risk vs reward would take too much time! So instead, the game just throws you into a mindless killing pit.

Sure, the game is relatively well polished due to the massive budget that they throw at each yearly iteration. But that's where the compliments end. From a gameplay standpoint, it's the Farmville of the sim genre, the Halo Wars of the RTS genre, and the Fable of the aRPG genre. It's as dumbed down and banal as it gets with an incredibly low skill floor and very low skill ceiling. And for that, it most certainly is casual.
#48Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 1:02:54 PM
DaLagga posted...
Respawns are instant because, after all, little Timmy wouldn't like it if there were actual penalties for dying. And because of the cramped chaotic nature of all of the maps, you never have to go more than 5 seconds without seeing an enemy to shoot. Because, after all, having to tactically move around a map and balance risk vs reward would take too much time! So instead, the game just throws you into a mindless killing pit.

So in a sense, it is almost like a party game....only with copious amounts of bloodshed and foul-mouthery.
#49tigg06Posted 4/10/2013 1:04:43 PM
All I can say to all this.. is I've never heard so many 11 year olds talking crap to me and others as I have playing any COD game on the 360... not quite as bad on ps3, but good lord, they seem to outnumber the adult gamers
---
psn - tiggman ninid - christophers xboxlive - tigg06