Nintendo considering rechareable Wiimotes for the Wii/Wii U

#1Sharky8Posted 4/9/2013 8:19:22 AM
It's about time! We've wanted a reliable first party battery for awhile.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/nintendo-considering-rechargeable-wii-remote-batteries

The Wii Remote may finally be about to get bespoke rechargeable battery packs, more than six years after it first launched.

A new Nintendo survey (via GoNintendo) suggests that the company may soon be releasing a rechargeable battery pack for Wii Remotes not too dissimilar to the ones used by Xbox 360 controllers, hopefully freeing us from the tyranny of AA batteries forever....
#2Jaime_BennPosted 4/9/2013 8:25:36 AM
$40? No thanks. I been using Eneloop rechargeable batteries on my my controllers/remotes that still uses batteries. A charger isn't expensive, and when the batteries aren't on sale, you can buy 4 for around $10.
---
According to Pachter, my i5 and 7850 is weak :(
#3senelcoolidge_Posted 4/9/2013 8:31:57 AM
Am I only person who still prefers batteries? I feel so old fashioned, but they get the job done.
#4ThePCElitistPosted 4/9/2013 8:37:41 AM
senelcoolidge_ posted...
Am I only person who still prefers batteries? I feel so old fashioned, but they get the job done.

I prefer real batteries as well because Lithium batteries lose their charge capacity over time to the point where they no longer function. If the product has a Lithium battery that cannot be removed then you're basically screwed if something were to happen to that battery in the future. If the battery is removable I'm perfectly fine with it actually.
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, MSI GTX 680 2GB Lightning
#5stekim40Posted 4/9/2013 8:41:01 AM
Too slow Nintendo, I've been recharging my wiimotes for a long time now.
---
Xyzzy!
#6koolguy5Posted 4/9/2013 8:44:11 AM
I might invest on it if the prices were fair, and that it was a rechargeable battery that can be replaced when it needed to (like cordless phones)
---
Mario rules.Period.FTLulz
#7CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/9/2013 8:53:47 AM
I've already got an arsenal of high quality rechargeable AA's.
Soooo... I'll be sticking with those.

the convenience of swapping them out vs plugging in is something that has really been bugging me with the gamepad.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#8Ultima_MagikarpPosted 4/9/2013 9:04:08 AM
I'm glad they posted this, I was about to go on a hardware splurge but now I'll wait for this bad boy.
#9emagdnEPosted 4/9/2013 10:07:15 AM

they're considering releasing something for Wiimote AFTER Wii has run its course and is officially dead?

what the **** Nintendo?!
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#10DrumguyPosted 4/9/2013 10:10:40 AM
emagdnE posted...

they're considering releasing something for Wiimote AFTER Wii has run its course and is officially dead?

what the **** Nintendo?!

Because Wii Remotes can be used on the Wii U. Derp.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl