It's Time for Satoru Iwata to Step Down

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 4/9/2013 9:19:03 AM
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/its-time-for-satoru-iwata-to-step-down

Some key points

itís just time to admit that Iwata isnít a good CEO. He shouldnít leave Nintendo entirely, but he definitely needs to be more in a role that has to do with designing games versus designing market strategy.

for four straight platform releases we have seen Iwata identify a game drought problem, promise it wonít happen again, only for it to happen againÖ just like clockwork. You can have a plan to avoid things and feel bad about it when it doesnít work out the way you want, but after a while you need to realize that maybe, just maybe, itís not working out.

Reggie and Iwata stressed at E3 2011 how important 3rd party support is for the Wii U in the west. They even went as far as to say that if you own a Wii U, you really donít need another gaming console. Bold words, but far from the truth of the matter.

They say itís a gamerís console, yet have only given gamers rereleased products of older systems where Nintendo admitted that Wii owners probably own one of those consoles already. Itís not really a Blue Ocean console like their advertising suggests, because itís their most complex controller ever built. Think about it.

Full traditional button interface. Touch Screen interface. Gyroscope and motion controllers, camera, microphone built in, speakers, and heck the thing comes with a STAND to charge it. Itís a complex controller that will likely never appeal to the casual audience.

The Wii U lacks a true direction. Itís not powerful enough to garner western support, and itís too complex to garner casual blue ocean consumers. Worried about software droughts now? Might as well get use to them.

While Iwata enjoyed 4 years of canít do wrong success thanks to a very successful blue ocean strategy that he deserves a lot of credit for, those four years of success simply arenít enough to ignore the ongoing issues with Nintendoís hardware. I sincerely hope they stay in the hardware business, but for that to be a reality they finally need to decide who they are targeting. Mr. Iwata Ė I have much love and respect for you, but itís time to go.

Pretty good read, and he brings up some good points. I agree that it is time for Iwata to take on a smaller role. I also believe that Miyamoto is a dinosaur and may be going senile, so it is time for Nintendo to reel him in as well.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i.imgur.com/7AUmapo.gif
#2KAMMYqueenPosted 4/9/2013 9:22:35 AM
no
/topic
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#3iKhanicPosted 4/9/2013 9:23:53 AM
I don't think he needs to step down, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired or he did step down.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4XavuuPosted 4/9/2013 9:26:56 AM
Nope. Bad idea. If he did this board would overflow with topics like; "WOW new CO sucks. OUCH!"
---
Choice Band STAB surprise Quick Attack; Staraptor.
#5jtr219Posted 4/9/2013 9:28:18 AM
I think people tend to focus on Iwata's failures more than his successes. I agree that the launches of the 3DS and Wii U were not handled well, but we should keep in mind that this was also the man behind the phenomenal success of the Wii, DS, and now 3DS. The Wii U is off to a slow start, but once more games are released in the summer and fall it should pick up.

And Miyamoto is brilliant and should keep on keeping on. Reading about his guidance for games like Metroid Prime and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon makes me appreciate him all the more.
---
NNID: jtr219
#6Crazy_tank51Posted 4/9/2013 9:34:42 AM(edited)
jtr219 posted...
I think people tend to focus on Iwata's failures more than his successes. I agree that the launches of the 3DS and Wii U were not handled well, but we should keep in mind that this was also the man behind the phenomenal success of the Wii, DS, and now 3DS. The Wii U is off to a slow start, but once more games are released in the summer and fall it should pick up.

And Miyamoto is brilliant and should keep on keeping on. Reading about his guidance for games like Metroid Prime and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon makes me appreciate him all the more.

True on Iwata, if they got rid of everybody for failing once, Sony's CO would have gone bye-bye by now, and EA as a whole would fired, they've screwed up WAY more than Iwata.

Miyamoto...needs to remain but he needs to be more like George Lucas is today; a creative consultant. He did great with LM:DM, but I'll never forgive him for PM:SS.

And apparently Endgame is in a coma because he'd have replied to this in a millisecond.
---
Not changing this sig until I have enough time, incentive, and attention span large enough to change this sig.
#7Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 9:33:51 AM
Nope. Bad idea. If he did this board would overflow with topics like; "WOW new CO sucks. OUCH!"

Well I'm sure all of Nintendos business decisions should be decided on how they will affect this board.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i.imgur.com/7AUmapo.gif
#8jtr219Posted 4/9/2013 9:40:29 AM
It's also worth pointing out that the game droughts they mentioned were only an issue for the DS and 3DS during their launch and that the Wii U has quite a few heavy hitters planned to release steadily over the next two years. I think Iwata should be given more time and we should wait to see where the company is a year or two from now.
---
#9jtr219Posted 4/9/2013 9:45:17 AM
Crazy_tank51 posted...
Miyamoto...needs to remain but he needs to be more like George Lucas is today; a creative consultant. He did great with LM:DM, but I'll never forgive him for PM:SS.

What does PM:SS stand for?
---
#10ElectricMolePosted 4/9/2013 9:46:49 AM
Nintendo needs a daring and younger Japanese game designer to become the new president. Someone who grew up playing the nes/snes.

Enough with the budget conscious hardware. I want the unique controller and the powerful hardware that third party studios desire.

Enough with the stiff business suit image too. Why can't the president dress like the rest of us in a t shirt instead of being a talking head on a immobilized mannequin body?

I can only dream...
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188