Problem is NIntendo fans grew up but Nintendo did not.

#91kaliskonigPosted 4/11/2013 2:15:52 PM
JKatarn posted...
kaliskonig posted...
I don't care much for what is considered kiddy or not. but the topic title does ring trrue. Nintendo puts emphasis on younger crowds rather then also creating games that would appeal to older age groups. They make games for youngins and hope to grab older audiences by fun factor and familiarity of characters and franchise names. I just don't understand why they refuse to make more decisions that will attract older gamers.

I love Nintendo's games and don't see them as "kiddy" but I'm not foolish enough to deny that the vast majority is aimed at children. Ninten does not need to go the gritty route with their games but maybe they should consider more mature spin-offs and new mature IP's.

I don't think age appropriate automatically means a game is for children - Nintendo games are challenging and fun while also being family friendly (probably why they make money hand over fist usually). Just because a games visuals are bright and colorful doesn't automatically make it a children's game (case in point, I'm sure many children would probably get frustrated with some of the galaxies in SMG1+2 for example), conversely lots of blood, gore and scantily clad/unrealistically proportioned female characters does NOT make a game "mature" - that's merely an age rating issued by the ESRB due to content, there's nothing civilized and mature about constant swearing, limbs exploding etc. (not that I don't enjoy those games). Nintendo never has and never will market primarily to the dudebros set because they want to create games that will appeal to/be appropriate for everyone (and consequently sell/move systems).

Oh I agree. If people want to miss out on games because of atistic design and lack of excessive violence then that is definitely a problem Nintendo does not need to address. Hell it's people out there who would call Okami, Journey and believe it or not The Walking Dead Kiddy because of the graphics. I have witnessed such on multiple accounts. I guess I should have said Nintendo is family friendly instead of saying they aim at children.
#92GoombacrusherPosted 4/11/2013 3:18:20 PM
The real problem is that Nintendo fans think that things have changed, when it's only them that's changed. Nintendo still markets to children because children still buy games, just like they did years ago. Just because you grow up doesn't mean they are going to change their strategy to cater to your personal needs.
---
http://i.minus.com/is83Deybz1eyw.gif
I don't fight for good and I don't fight for evil, I just fight!
#93Lefty128kPosted 4/11/2013 3:23:58 PM
Prince Shondronai posted...
I suppose C.S. Lewis, who said it more eloquently than I, was insecure as well then.

CS Lewis had just written some kids books, and was trying to push sales by shaming adults into a purchase.

And that's also an argument from authority. Just because CS Lewis said it, doesn't make it true, factual, or accurate.
#94Lefty128kPosted 4/11/2013 3:25:42 PM
mini_blight posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Another part of being grown up is accepting an adult role in the world.
Some of us like our entertainment to reflect that life-change.

Some of us, you I suppose, want to keep playing the video game equivalent of Chutes and Ladders. Go ahead, but please stop pretending that "children of all ages" label actually means it's sufficiently entertaining for everyone.

Said Lefty128k, the Sony shill, after playing Ni No Kuni, a game where you play as small children with their living toys.

I've never played that game.
#95CelestialMind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 3:26:17 PM
CS Lewis had just written some kids books, and was trying to push sales by shaming adults into a purchase.

This. When you're trying to sell a product you'll say anything, especially if it's being criticized, to defend it.

CS Lewis might not even have believed in his own words. Either way what he said is irrelevant based on his background.
#96DarthFloatyPosted 4/11/2013 3:29:50 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
#97pokemega32Posted 4/11/2013 3:30:04 PM
Lefty128k posted...

And that's also an argument from authority. Just because CS Lewis said it, doesn't make it true, factual, or accurate.

And yours was just a circumstantial ad hominem. Just because C.S. Lewis would benefit from his argument, that doesn't make it false, nonfactual or inaccurate.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#98Lefty128kPosted 4/11/2013 3:30:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#99GoombacrusherPosted 4/11/2013 3:32:36 PM
Lefty128k posted...
Prince Shondronai posted...
Problem is, being "grown up" means not worrying about if something is "kiddy" or not, as long as it's fun.

Another part of being grown up is accepting an adult role in the world.
Some of us like our entertainment to reflect that life-change.

I would hope that an adult taking on an adult role would be well-adjusted enough to be able to separate real life from the world of entertainment and understand that the games you play do not define who you are, instead of, you know, throwing a fit on a message board about how a japanese gaming company is marketing towards children instead of catering to their specific interests and their specific wants as if the entire world had to bend over to fit their views.
---
http://i.minus.com/is83Deybz1eyw.gif
I don't fight for good and I don't fight for evil, I just fight!
#100CelestialMind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 3:33:50 PM
pokemega32 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

And yours was just a circumstantial ad hominem. Just because C.S. Lewis would benefit from his argument, that doesn't make it false, nonfactual or inaccurate.

But it is false, non-factual and inaccurate (btw don't repeat yourself 3 times these all mean the same thing).

The problem with his argument is it can be applied to everything and anything and then you start to see how stupid it really is.

Still soil yourself? So what? There's no such thing as growing up! Liking playing with little kids instead of adults? They are your best friends? Hmm nothing creepy about that at all.

Society places boundaries on what a child and what an adult is supposed to do. It would not be able to function otherwise.