Why I Don't Like Nintendo

#1GoreGamerPosted 4/9/2013 10:26:53 AM
Now before I get called a 'troll' let me just clarify. I don't 'hate' Nintendo. Hell they've provided me with some great gaming moments. Mostly Starfox and Super Mario World, on the SNES.
I have owned many consoles, ranging from Sega, Nintendo, Sony and the Dreamcast.

IMO Nintendo has been a disappointment ever since the N64.

First off the N64 was a let down. You can make all the arguments you want about being a better console technically than Sony but it doesn't matter when it used Catridges. Why? It was just a form of DRM really and anything to resist change. I also hated what they did with Super Mario, the biggest reason for that console. It has been hyped to the moon yet what is it? It's a boring scavenger game. I enjoyed looking for GTA's hidden packages more than playing that tedious and dull game. How could they get Mario so wrong? It amazes me how highly that game got praised when it was almost a complete sell out of what Mario should be. Mario was a split second platformer. 64 was tedious run around a level with Mario going 'whippeee'.

Then there was the Game Cube. This console made me cry. One day I went to my cousins' house, they had a PS2 and I didn't have one yet. I saw Pro Evolution Soccer and GTA Vice City. I was absolutely in awe. I couldn't sleep both games just blew my mind like no other games. It was like an outer body experience and I was so excited. But there was a problem. I didn't have the money for a PS2. Later on however, the GC got released and it was like 70 cheaper. I worked so hard to get the money doing chores for my parents. Penny pinching off the pavement. Begging. Everything really. So I eventually got the GC and guess what?

No GTA

No Pro Evolution Soccer

Why? Just why? I was devastated. I bought FIFA road to the world cup 2002 and it sucked. I realized that after like 30mins when I was thrashing my poor opponent AI 12-0. No GTA and no PES. I was so sad. All that hard work for nothing.

Then there was the WII. Well where do I begin with this travesty? My parents bought if for the family, because they believed the hype. They nievely believed it would be used to bring the family together, and we also got the WII exercise board thing. It sucks. You couldn't even do press ups because the board was too small. And the games? The graphics looked like PS2 graphics. The controller was a pain to handle. It wasn't as fun as the propaganda made it out to be and soon enough it was dumped in the closed after 3 months.

The DS was fine but no upgrade on the GBA. It was certainly better than the god awful PSP but that's only because of poor ergonomic reasons. Technically the PSP was far better and only slightly more expensive, which begged the question why couldn't the DS be better? Why is it only a modest improvement over the GBA?

Nintendo fans seem to be under the impression that Nintendo can do no harm. They've been around for a century, they deserve to be worshiped. Nintendo doesn't care about you. No company does. They want to take your money and give you as little in return. I look at the WII U and I ask Nintendo whether they felt any shame, having the WII in it's title.

I wan't Nintendo to stop making home consoled. Handheld is fine but they don't deserve to make home consoles anymore. Perhaps they can produce software for the consoles instead of making expensive, yet poorly designed consoles. That's another thing. Nintendo's scheme is nothing short of protectionism. Get a crappy console out and make a bunch of exclusives to justify that console. It's a successful strategy but not particularly thoughtful. Besides it's 2013 and they are still relying on old franchise series' like Mario and Zelda. It's pathetic.
#2IokuaPosted 4/9/2013 10:29:59 AM
So, you don't like Nintendo because you didn't do your research when purchasing a Gamecube? Sounds like you should have asked mommy and daddy to let you in the interwebz before spending their money. Blame yourself, not Nintendo in this regard, as it's not their fault that the games on their systems aren't the games you like. The same can be said for every developer.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#3nonexistingheroPosted 4/9/2013 10:31:38 AM
All I see is a lot of trolling and ignorance.

SNES to N64 is a small jump, according to you. Since the GBA to DS is also a small jump, according to you. The difference is just as big. The N64 had many revolutionary games, the Gamecube had a ton of amazing games, etc. Super Mario 64 is an amazing game.

Seriously, you don't know s*** about Nintendo. There's a ton more stuff in your post that practically proves that.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#4GoreGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 10:33:15 AM
nonexistinghero posted...

SNES to N64 is a small jump, according to you. Since the GBA to DS is also a small jump, according to you. The difference is just as big. The N64 had many revolutionary games, the Gamecube had a ton of amazing games, etc. Super Mario 64 is an amazing game.

Seriously, you don't know s*** about Nintendo. There's a ton more stuff in your post that practically proves that.

Mario 64 only got the praise because it was one of the first open level platformers. Apart from that the gameplay was boring.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 4/9/2013 10:41:08 AM
If the gameplay was boring I wouldn't have fully completed the game over a dozen times on the N64, then a dozen more times on the DS. It's still one of the best and most fun 3D platforming games ever made. It wasn't just revolutionary, there's not a single one that is even half as innovative as Super Mario 64. The 7 different objectives in a world was brilliant, the way that many missions are little puzzles, that you can often decide your own order to get stars, levels changing depending on the mission you choose (but not preventing you to get many other stars instead), all kinds of tiny secrets everywhere, the hub world with a ton of things to do and a ton of secrets, etc.

Not even modern Mario games have nearly as much variety and not a single platformer can even compete. In fact, the only one that can even compete, is Super Mario Sunshine. It did some things better, others worse. Anyway, they're pretty much the ultimate platformer games that allow the player to play the game how they want to play them and there's a million of ways to play them.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6MichaelDeAngeloPosted 4/9/2013 11:48:19 AM
GoreGamer posted...

Mario 64 only got the praise because it was one of the first open level platformers. Apart from that the gameplay was boring.

I think it was praised because it was clever at the time. It was challenging enough, and it was innovative. It's actually aged a lot better than most other N64/PS1 games.
---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.
#7emagdnEPosted 4/9/2013 11:52:30 AM

this is where I stopped reading

N64 was revolutionary, could have been even moreso if the Disc Drive got off the ground, and its library sure as hell ****s all over PS1's

PS1..... brought FMVs and loading times to consoles
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#8KAMMYqueenPosted 4/9/2013 11:53:00 AM
GoreGamer posted...
Now before I get called a 'troll' let me just clarify. I don't 'hate' Nintendo. Hell they've provided me with some great gaming moments. Mostly Starfox and Super Mario World, on the SNES.
I have owned many consoles, ranging from Sega, Nintendo, Sony and the Dreamcast.

First off the N64 was a let down. You can make all the arguments you want about being a better console technically than Sony but it doesn't matter when it used Catridges. Why? It was just a form of DRM really and anything to resist change. I also hated what they did with Super Mario, the biggest reason for that console. It has been hyped to the moon yet what is it? It's a boring scavenger game. I enjoyed looking for GTA's hidden packages more than playing that tedious and dull game. How could they get Mario so wrong? It amazes me how highly that game got praised when it was almost a complete sell out of what Mario should be. Mario was a split second platformer. 64 was tedious run around a level with Mario going 'whippeee'.

Then there was the Game Cube. This console made me cry. One day I went to my cousins' house, they had a PS2 and I didn't have one yet. I saw Pro Evolution Soccer and GTA Vice City. I was absolutely in awe. I couldn't sleep both games just blew my mind like no other games. It was like an outer body experience and I was so excited. But there was a problem. I didn't have the money for a PS2. Later on however, the GC got released and it was like 70 cheaper. I worked so hard to get the money doing chores for my parents. Penny pinching off the pavement. Begging. Everything really. So I eventually got the GC and guess what?

No GTA

No Pro Evolution Soccer

Why? Just why? I was devastated. I bought FIFA road to the world cup 2002 and it sucked. I realized that after like 30mins when I was thrashing my poor opponent AI 12-0. No GTA and no PES. I was so sad. All that hard work for nothing.

Then there was the WII. Well where do I begin with this travesty? My parents bought if for the family, because they believed the hype. They nievely believed it would be used to bring the family together, and we also got the WII exercise board thing. It sucks. You couldn't even do press ups because the board was too small. And the games? The graphics looked like PS2 graphics. The controller was a pain to handle. It wasn't as fun as the propaganda made it out to be and soon enough it was dumped in the closed after 3 months.

The DS was fine but no upgrade on the GBA. It was certainly better than the god awful PSP but that's only because of poor ergonomic reasons. Technically the PSP was far better and only slightly more expensive, which begged the question why couldn't the DS be better? Why is it only a modest improvement over the GBA?

Nintendo fans seem to be under the impression that Nintendo can do no harm. They've been around for a century, they deserve to be worshiped. Nintendo doesn't care about you. No company does. They want to take your money and give you as little in return. I look at the WII U and I ask Nintendo whether they felt any shame, having the WII in it's title.

I wan't Nintendo to stop making home consoled. Handheld is fine but they don't deserve to make home consoles anymore. Perhaps they can produce software for the consoles instead of making expensive, yet poorly designed consoles. That's another thing. Nintendo's scheme is nothing short of protectionism. Get a crappy console out and make a bunch of exclusives to justify that console. It's a successful strategy but not particularly thoughtful. Besides it's 2013 and they are still relying on old franchise series' like Mario and Zelda. It's pathetic.

Why I Don't Care.......
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#9deathslovePosted 4/9/2013 11:54:05 AM
emagdnE posted...

this is where I stopped reading

N64 was revolutionary, could have been even moreso if the Disc Drive got off the ground, and its library sure as hell ****s all over PS1's

PS1..... brought FMVs and loading times to consoles

Never had a PS1
Started gaming last gen.

Now I understand why you say these kinds of silly things.
#10TrueBlue91Posted 4/9/2013 11:58:10 AM
GoreGamer posted...

I don't agree with many of your points, but this is so true.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me