Are 3rd Party games really that important for a system?

#1Turbo_TRexPosted 4/9/2013 2:45:10 PM
Aside from download only games from the DSi Shop and the eShop I have very few, if any, 3rd party games. I have no interest in Batman or sports or things like that. I play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, and things like that. Do 3rd party titles really matter that much?
---
To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human.
#2AstralFrostPosted 4/9/2013 2:47:13 PM
This might come as a shock but the average consumer doesn't want to have to buy 2-3 consoles a generation to play all the games they want. You may be satisfied with only Nintendo games but many people want to play more/other games. I'm sure you can fill in the rest.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#3kingdddPosted 4/9/2013 2:48:02 PM
No support from 3rd party means no games and lack of games mean less choices and less choices mean overall low quality library. Yes Nintendo makes good games that will not deter a Nintendo Fan's experience but people who want to play other games they either have to get another system or hope the 3rd party is willing to support it.
---
"Seeing is only just an impression, playing is believing." -Nintendo
#4SigmaHacielPosted 4/9/2013 2:49:37 PM
Since nobody who is actually a gamer just gets ONE console a gen, no. It isn't that important.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#5Xenesis XenonPosted 4/9/2013 2:51:30 PM
Think about how many games Nintendo makes.

Then think about how many games companies that are Not Nintendo make.

It's a fairly big deal. A lot of those games are from series that are incredibly popular and move consoles.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#6P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/9/2013 2:52:48 PM
Think about if there was only first party games on everything.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Mirror of Fate, Monster Hunter 3U
#7NamcoMuseum2Posted 4/9/2013 2:53:07 PM
The Wii U has almost no third party support or first party support.
#8zatOMGPosted 4/9/2013 2:59:46 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Since nobody who is actually a gamer just gets ONE console a gen, no. It isn't that important.

I think you are being too narrow in your definition of "gamer."

Some "gamers" may be poor and only have one system. It doesn't disqualify their existence as fans of the medium though, right?

In any case, 3rd partys matter to an extent, but it doesn't break the camel's back IMO. Each console has its areas of expertise where 1st parties shine. 3rd parties, to me, are a bonus. It is each company's prerogative to choose where their games are going to appear.
#9Lelouch71Posted 4/9/2013 5:14:56 PM
Yes just ask the PS1, PS2, and DS. Hell ask the 3DS. The system with the best games tend to sell the best and have a strong user base. The Wii is the only exception to the rule but the PS3/360 had more longevity because of it.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#10pixel378Posted 4/9/2013 5:41:31 PM
It relegates Nintendo's consoles to being the 2nd console in most cases because it doesn't have most 3rd party games, so yeah its important. A lot of people only get 1 system and sony and Microsoft get more looks as the primary system since it has 1st party (Sony not Microsoft) and 3rd party.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit