Not really big on Trophies or Achievement Scores...

#1TyrantLowKeyPosted 4/9/2013 11:58:00 PM
But anyone else feel that Nintendo not having anything equivalent does kind of throw them behind the curve here? Is there anything equivalent that I am not aware of? I think Wii U is great btw and I seriously want it to be the best but I think this can be a big negative (to a lot and it may not be you or me just a lot of people seem to like these things so why not make something similar on it). Anyone agree with or atleast the fact that it does lower the appeal a bit?
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#2gameG3ni3Posted 4/10/2013 12:00:53 AM
TyrantLowKey posted...
But anyone else feel that Nintendo not having anything equivalent does kind of throw them behind the curve here? Is there anything equivalent that I am not aware of? I think Wii U is great btw and I seriously want it to be the best but I think this can be a big negative (to a lot and it may not be you or me just a lot of people seem to like these things so why not make something similar on it). Anyone agree with or atleast the fact that it does lower the appeal a bit?

I think Nintendo is worried about making games, not throwing in a system that makes people buy crappy games just to earn a digital pat on the back.
---
NNID: Xenteros
Currently playing: LoZ:SS, NSMBU
#3TyrantLowKey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 12:02:12 AM
^Um not if it helps sell software. How is that bad? And it shouldn't be THAT hard to put in and STILL work on making great games (which they are in my opinion).
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#4gameG3ni3Posted 4/10/2013 12:06:22 AM
TyrantLowKey posted...
^Um not if it helps sell software. How is that bad? And it shouldn't be THAT hard to put in and STILL work on making great games (which they are in my opinion).

I know plenty of people that buy games just for trophies...they don't care if they are good or bad. This means GDs don't have to work hard for our money, so games start to suck. The second GDs stop working hard on games is when things come grinding to a halt, just like in 1983.
---
NNID: Xenteros
Currently playing: LoZ:SS, NSMBU
#5Banjo2553Posted 4/10/2013 12:11:38 AM(edited)
Yeah, I'm not usually into achievements unless it's a game I absolutely love, but it would be nice if Nintendo got into the universal achievements bit. I doubt it's just a phase either, it seems like something that gaming has evolved to.

gameG3ni3 posted...
I know plenty of people that buy games just for trophies...they don't care if they are good or bad. This means GDs don't have to work hard for our money, so games start to suck. The second GDs stop working hard on games is when things come grinding to a halt, just like in 1983.

I don't know about that. Games have become a lot more expensive to develop, and with big budgets, doesn't that mean the devs are working hard in the first place? Games are pretty much the same way today as they are now. It's not like the ratio of good to bad games has changed dramatically just because of achievements. Even back in the NES/SNES days, there were still a whole bunch of crap games amidst the good and great ones. I just think blaming modern gaming over your personal tastes is silly.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#6TyrantLowKey(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 12:09:05 AM
Banjo2553 posted...
Yeah, I'm not usually into achievements unless it's a game I absolutely love, but it would be nice if Nintendo got into the universal achievements bit. I doubt it's just a phase either, it seems like something that gaming has evolved to.

And that's all I was saying. Sure people buy games for trophies/achievements and those help overall sales too (and of course buying of the system). Why is THAT bad? It's only bad if developers make it bad but if it's done in good taste then I think it would add immensely to Nintendo.
---
#7ssjtrunk1Posted 4/10/2013 1:07:45 AM
The ps3 added trophies as a patch for older games. Wii u will add trophies in the future
---
Today I have over 2800 karma.
#8Ghost_TurtlePosted 4/10/2013 2:09:14 AM
Devoted N fan here for 20+ years. Ive been rocking the 360 for 7 years now. My gamerscore is nothing to brag about, right around 40k. A couple of things hurt Nintendo not having some sort of achievement system for me. Right now even though my GS isn't anything to fancy about, I still strive to get all the achievements as possible. Ill be the first to admit this has some what hurt how I play games compared to 10 years ago. I'll totally play around certain areas on single player rpgs for example, just to get an achievement. B4 I play a game ill look at the achievement list, and as Im playing Im constantly looking back to see whats the next one I can get. To me, this has some what ruined the game experience , but at the same time it has added a ton of replay value to games. So it has changed how I play games from 10+ years ago, I honestly think its been for the best. I have certain things to work toward in certain games. The majority of my friends in my friends list I know in real life. The fact that I can go back and compare my achievements to others on my FL is another plus. It just gives you something to do, to strive for.

With that said ALL 3rd party games that are/have come out on the U and the same as 360, I'll always buy them on 360. So you say I just do that b/c all my friends have 360s, I also own a PS3 that I use to buy PS3 exclusives (GT5, MGS4, LBP, MLB the show for example), and even if hypothetically a game would only launch on ps3 and wii u, I would buy it for the PS3 just for the trophies.

So for me, different opinions aside, It is very important for the Wii U to add some sort of system. And I truly think that if the Big N's goal is to capture back its core fan base, they HAVE to add some sort of system, one thats not halfed ass (b/c we can all see the N doing this) of what we already have (360/ps3).
---
What did the dad buffalo say to his son on his first day of school? By son. GET IT!?! BISON!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Silly Buffaloes. Roll Tide!
#9MegaWinFTWPosted 4/10/2013 2:09:53 AM
It's a really dumb omission. If/when I get a Wii U I wont be buying any multiplatform games on it unless it has major exclusive content because I'd rather get a version with trophies/achievements. I wouldn't pass up on a game that lacks them on any platform, like a Wii U exclusive or an early PS3 exclusive that never got patched, nor would I buy a bad game just for them but I'm at least one person who sees them as a reason not to buy Wii U versions of games and I'm sure I'm not alone.

The excuses and arguments against them are flimsy and weak, they stop developers working hard? Really? They're easy to add and they give oodles of replay value, no reason not to want them.
#10Pac12345Posted 4/10/2013 4:36:16 AM
This is a a feature that people keep keep asking for. Why? I mean why is it so import to people? It's a f******, meaningless number! Deal with it people! You don't need to be told how "special" you are every time you make your character move! Seriously, just look at how much of a whiny (Cause they won't stop b******* about stuff), ignorant (They know nothing about video game history and its teaching), and now, attention-seeking brats the 7th gen gamers have become.

If these are the faces of gaming, then I am ashamed to call myself a "gamer".