How dominate would the Wii U be if it came out last gen?

#11_Sovereign_Posted 4/10/2013 8:06:21 PM
It would've been another 'Cube. My reasoning is this :

No Gamepad. During this time, they were testing the waters with the DS, which would've only been out for 2 years by the time the Wii launched, which meant that during the development of Wii, they didn't want to rely on technology they weren't sure would catch on. Fast forward several years and we see it did

No Miiverse. The likes of Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter were available for everyone to use in late '05 early '06, which meant those were largely untested for the type of application Miiverse is now.
Again, fast forward several years and we see it works

Online gaming. Nobody knew OG would take the turn it did because let's face it, even after the original Xbox launched, the only thing people were playing was Halo 2 ( sans the PC crowd, who had long been playing online, but that's a different story). PS2 and GC had online components, but neither took off relatively well.

Honestly? Releasing the Wii and remaining one step behind the competition has helped Nintendo more than hinder. When they were fighting for the top spot it was easier, put out a superior GAME system and draw in the 3rd parties. Nowadays, everybody and their grandmother can't own a device unless it has everything ever made and then some, and that's where Nintendo would fail IF they hadn't let the other two duke it out.

Nintendo cares about making games....and that's really it. Anything other than that and you find them working with someone else to help them bring it to life.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#12Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/10/2013 8:14:22 PM
Worse than PS3's launch, minus PS3's recovery.

PS3 was $599 at launch, and still sold at a loss. Wii U is more powerful than PS3. It would cost even more.
Many developers suffered heavy losses or closings this past generation because of the costs of developing on overly powerful hardware. Wii U is more powerful than PS3. Losses would be even worse.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#13plasticman13Posted 4/10/2013 8:22:56 PM

PS3 was $599 at launch, and still sold at a loss. Wii U is more powerful than PS3. It would cost even more.
Many developers suffered heavy losses or closings this past generation because of the costs of developing on overly powerful hardware. Wii U is more powerful than PS3. Losses would be even worse.

It was bluray that made the PS3 so expensive, not the "power". The WiiU would've launched at a cheaper price than the PS3.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#14Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/10/2013 8:26:15 PM
Wii U game disks are a variant of bluray.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#15DarkFoxVPosted 4/10/2013 8:35:26 PM(edited)
plasticman13 posted...

It was bluray that made the PS3 so expensive, not the "power". The WiiU would've launched at a cheaper price than the PS3.

Actually, the PS3's Blu-Ray drive is a very cheap drive compared to the ones used in Blu-Ray players at the time. It was the cell CPU that gave it hell. The Cell was the most expensive part in that console next to the Blu-Ray Drive and caused them way too much trouble. And was a nightmare for developers to code for.

It's why they ditched it for x86 architecture when making the PS4. (which seems like a stable machine on paper so far) Though doing so costed them PS3 BC.
---
"Legends never die"
#16SolisPosted 4/10/2013 9:08:53 PM
DarkFoxV posted...
Actually, the PS3's Blu-Ray drive is a very cheap drive compared to the ones used in Blu-Ray players at the time. It was the cell CPU that gave it hell. The Cell was the most expensive part in that console next to the Blu-Ray Drive and caused them way too much trouble. And was a nightmare for developers to code for.

The RSX cost more than the Cell did in the PS3, and was horribly cost inefficient as well (The Xbox 360's GPU was more powerful, and released a year earlier, for roughly the same cost). Aside from that, the CPU, GPU, and Blu-ray drive combined didn't even account for half of the manufacturing costs of the console.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#17Excuse_Me(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 8:41:04 AM
bump
#18MalifacentXPosted 4/11/2013 8:59:01 AM
Honestly, it is far too early in the Wii U life cycle to make that determination, though I'm fairly confident they would have much stronger INITIAL third-party support.

(Covering my bases as third-party support will grow with the system as it sees more success)
---
PSN: SeventhLegion
NNID: MrKupka