can the wii u play dvd or audio cd?

#11CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/10/2013 7:28:00 PM
henzler3 posted...
Enigma149 posted...
No.

Well...okay. You can install the Homebrew Channel, and use an app such as MPlayer, to play CDs and DVDs. But officially? No.

this is something that should be pointed out, while the wii doesn't officially run dvds' aperently nintendo still had the capability to run dvd's through homebrew, which begs the question : why is nintendo holding out, if they can run DVD's on the system, but chose not to let the users access to that feature

which also begs the question: are there features locked in the wii and wii u that nintendo didn't want its users to use

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The Wii's laser isn't rated for continuous read.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#12Nintendo316TPosted 4/10/2013 8:04:15 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
The_King82 posted...
No, it's not powerful enough.

The PS4 shares that as well. It can't play audio CDs.

Hell, PS4 can't even handle PS3 games. Weak.
---
PSN, X-Box Live, Steam: Nintendo316
Wii U: Nintend0316 3DS: 1375-7216-1904
#13Darksilver4Posted 4/10/2013 9:19:27 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
The_King82 posted...

Will you shut up with that? It has absolutely nothing to do with how powerful the console is. Nintendo's purely a gaming company, not a multimedia company like Sony is, & not a software company like Microsoft is.

They never, ever, had audio CD, or DVD playback in any of their consoles. Ever.

Well Nintendo did partner with a company to work with a DVD/Gamecube system, even though it only got released in Japan.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg/800px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg[/img]
---
PSN: Darksilver4
NN ID: Darksilver4
#14kayoticdreamzPosted 4/10/2013 10:01:04 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
The_King82 posted...

The PS4 shares that as well. It can't play audio CDs.

wait what? seriously? for the WIi U this makes sense as it only reads games but the ps4? the all mighty all media everything station 4? if true just wow lol
#15grandabxPosted 4/10/2013 10:07:55 PM
The_King82 posted...

in other words it's WIIK.
#16HaloOfTheSun442Posted 4/10/2013 10:18:11 PM
Who cares if the Wii U can play DVDs or CDs? Most people have at LEAST one other devices that does likely both. I don't need every electronic device to do absolutely everything. Sometimes I want a phone to be a phone, and a console to be a console.
#17DTY3Posted 4/10/2013 10:26:47 PM
flipzas posted...
Shinobi120 posted...
The_King82 posted...

Will you shut up with that? It has absolutely nothing to do with how powerful the console is. Nintendo's purely a gaming company, not a multimedia company like Sony is, & not a software company like Microsoft is.

They never, ever, had CD, audio CD, or DVD playback since Gamecube.

haha

To be fair, saying the Wii U isnt powerful enough is extremely idiotic.

I mean the Wii can play DVD's and Audio CDs.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#18BuretsuPosted 4/10/2013 10:29:03 PM
Wii U not playing DVDs is pathetic. Who wants a DVD player adding to the clutter?
PS4 not playing PS3 games is just fine. You can just have your PS3 adding to the clutter.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#19STN79Posted 4/10/2013 10:35:52 PM
Anyone in 2013 who doesn't already have a DVD/CD player is pathetic.
Heck who Uses CD's anymore anyway? Get with the times grandpa.
#20anon_firePosted 4/10/2013 10:36:40 PM
Wii U is a gaming system, not a multimedia hub.

*facepalm*

Geez, how long have you been living under a rock?
---
NNID: alaz21