Does anyone think it's at all possible that console gaming is going to suffer?

#1tazz131Posted 4/10/2013 6:48:29 PM
Just about to purchase my Wii U in the next week, and I've been reading about all of the doom and gloom here.

Does anyone think that console gaming will suffer next gen in general?

The 3DS took longer than a year to build up steam.

The Vita has suffered for over a year with little hope on the horizon.

The Wii U is apparently having a tough time.

The PS4's hardware will be expensive and Sony is reluctant to cut prices (Vita memory cards come to mind).

And the rumors regarding the next XBox put it in a negative space.

Are we heading towards another console crash? Will it be doom and gloom for console gaming across the board next gen?
#2kingbadjoPosted 4/10/2013 6:51:54 PM
I think videogames are getting eve more popular. Ignore the fan boys. The bad news you've been hearing about each of the systems were just attack by haters of each system.

Keep gaming and consoles will stay safe. I do love My PC however...
---
I don't need violent videogames to reassure myself that I'm an adult.
#3bskiffingtonPosted 4/10/2013 7:16:31 PM
"Hey hunny, let's go buy the Wii U for our son. It's only 249.99!"

"Yes darling, but the XBox 360 and PS3 are much cheaper, we'll get that instead."

Point im trying to make is, the Wii U is in a boat on it's own atm. Established games and developers are still on the old consoles, and they're cheaper to purchase. If numbers are this low AFTER the other consoles have launched their next-gen versions, then it's time to worry. But right now, why would devs build games for a console still in it's early life with only 3.5mil total install base when it could make their games for consoles with over 70mil? It's just common knowledge, there's not a big enough market yet.

Come nexft Christmas, or even two years from then whenever the new XBox launches, people will need to shell out the same price for those new consoles, and they'll have small install bases too. That's when I feel we'll see the Wii U get better support because of right now, it's not really worth it from a business standpoint.

Why sell 500k on a console with 3.5 sells when you could sell 5mil plus on a console with way more users? Bigger user base = more potential buyers = more sales = more money for the company. It's common sense people.
#4GoombaXPosted 4/10/2013 7:17:12 PM
Gaming in general is dying.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#5BuretsuPosted 4/10/2013 7:29:40 PM
Gaming isn't dying, it's just... changing.

The AAA market isn't big enough to handle all of the new releases, and the growing budgets for those games mean that unless a title can grab a significant slice of the proverbial pie, it won't make enough money to be called a 'success'.

Crowdsourcing (i.e. Kickstarter and similar) is helping to ensure that some new games will already have a willing market before the game is even produced, but it's a system with a wide possibility of abuse, and it's only a matter of time before the first big screwover.

Now the Indie market, that's what's really taking off, and its easier than ever to find success, with Steam's Greenlight service drawing attention to games which might otherwise slip under the radar, and companies like Sony and Nintendo actively working to make their platforms indie-friendly.

It's not good, but it's not like we're going to see thousands of copies of Battlefield 6 getting buried in the Nevada desert.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#6GoombaXPosted 4/10/2013 7:34:21 PM
Buretsu posted...

The AAA market isn't big enough to handle all of the new releases, and the growing budgets for those games mean that unless a title can grab a significant slice of the proverbial pie, it won't make enough money to be called a 'success'.

Crowdsourcing (i.e. Kickstarter and similar) is helping to ensure that some new games will already have a willing market before the game is even produced, but it's a system with a wide possibility of abuse, and it's only a matter of time before the first big screwover.

Now the Indie market, that's what's really taking off, and its easier than ever to find success, with Steam's Greenlight service drawing attention to games which might otherwise slip under the radar, and companies like Sony and Nintendo actively working to make their platforms indie-friendly.

It's not good, but it's not like we're going to see thousands of copies of Battlefield 6 getting buried in the Nevada desert.

changing for the worse = dying
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#7BuretsuPosted 4/10/2013 7:36:25 PM
GoombaX posted...
Buretsu posted...

*facepalm*

Yes, anything that takes us away from endless iterative sequels and a lack of fresh new IPs is a bad thing...
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#8DorotimusWitikPosted 4/10/2013 7:44:13 PM
GoombaX posted...

It's only changing for the worse if you are addicted to pointless games that continually vie for having the largest budgets and the most overwhelming visuals. Something needs to give. Games hit their creative peak well over a decade ago. A little austerity will do the industry some good I think. Learning to do more with less is a necessity for breeding innovation and is necessary for surviving in a world of Gameloft ripoffs and Angry Birds sequels.
#9GoombaXPosted 4/10/2013 7:46:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10rudgerlightPosted 4/10/2013 7:46:44 PM
I think it's a transitional stage. Unfortunately that means nobody can really say whether console gaming is dying until the transition ends. Sales have gone down year over year and when you take Nintendo out of the equation, it looks like the console market already collapsed. Maybe the indie market will flourish and explode in the wake of the new systems. Maybe production costs will finally go down now that so many big studios learned hard lessons these last few years. Maybe everybody will just game on their smartphones and tablets and only older gamers who yearn for better days will buy the newest consoles.

Who knows?