Questions about the USB and SD cards' compatibility

#1kreegan64Posted 4/11/2013 7:53:41 AM
Can an sd card be used for Wii U games? Or is it just for the Wii; I can't find my SD card in the data management at all, so I'm wondering.

If there are USB ports, what are all the different things that you can use to store your games, content, ect. for the U? I hear up to 1 TB external hard drive can be used, and it says it needs to format the device, does this mean I won't be able to use it for anything else? I've never gotten or used an External Hard drive before, so I don't know too much about it. I've never used anything besides one SD card for a Nintendo system either, and I don't recall it saying it needed to format the device.

Would I be able to use a flash drive to store my games, content, ect.? They're much cheaper, and it would be easier to find one of those, so I'm hoping I can. Also, on the Wii channel (the one where it turns on the wii mode) I'm running out of space, and wondering if I'd be able to use the external hard drive (or other USB storage devices) to store Wii Ware, VC games rather than my soon getting full SD card.

Oh, and this may be a slightly unrelated, but I'd like to get this out of the way: My SD card is a Transcend SD Micro in its respective adapter, and like said I it has plenty of Wii shop channel downloads, so my Wii is very well able to read it, but whenever I play games like Animal Crossing and SSBB and try to save snapshots to the SD card, they say that the device is not an SD card, and refuse to save it to it, even though it is very much an SD card, and I can still save Wii shop channel content to it, so I know that it didn't somehow get damaged or anything. Help with this too, please?

Thanks in advance to all.
---
Jesus Christ saves any who call and accept him. Today is better than tomorrow to get saved. Never accept the mark of the beast.
#2BadLuckGutsPosted 4/11/2013 8:14:41 AM
the SD card, so far, is not in use with the Wii U and seems to only be there for the Wii mode and transfer utility since the actual Wii U OS doesn't even recognize it. I've tried and you can not store Wii U content of any kind in the SD card.

Once you format a external hard drive for the Wii U, the systems OWNS IT. Partitioning won't work so no, you can't simultaneously use it for anything else. Wii U supports up to 2TB but it's recommended you a get one with USB 2.0 technology. Some that use 3.0 are supported but others can cause problems. No, you can't use the hard drive in Wii Mode.

There are 4 USB ports, but like SD card, the OS doesn't"t acknowledge it and doesn't transfer data of any kind.
---
My love for you....is like a truck. Beserker.
Do you want to making ****, Berserker. Berserker.
#3BadLuckGutsPosted 4/11/2013 8:17:02 AM
*Doesn't acknowledge Flash drives that is.
---
#4kreegan64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 8:43:14 AM
BadLuckGuts posted...
the SD card, so far, is not in use with the Wii U and seems to only be there for the Wii mode and transfer utility since the actual Wii U OS doesn't even recognize it. I've tried and you can not store Wii U content of any kind in the SD card.

So does that mean that there's a chance that the update will allow the system to use SD cards? I'd like to transfer some VC titles from the Wii channel to the Wii U os so that I can play them on the gamepad, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Once you format a external hard drive for the Wii U, the systems OWNS IT. Partitioning won't work so no, you can't simultaneously use it for anything else.

Well that's just stupid, is there any good reason for that?
---
Jesus Christ saves any who call and accept him. Today is better than tomorrow to get saved. Never accept the mark of the beast.
#5BadLuckGutsPosted 4/11/2013 9:59:47 AM
kreegan64 posted...
BadLuckGuts posted...

So does that mean that there's a chance that the update will allow the system to use SD cards? I'd like to transfer some VC titles from the Wii channel to the Wii U os so that I can play them on the gamepad, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Once you format a external hard drive for the Wii U, the systems OWNS IT. Partitioning won't work so no, you can't simultaneously use it for anything else.

Well that's just stupid, is there any good reason for that?

There probably will be a time when you can use SD cards to store data but I'm just guessing at this point.

What you're trying to do, transferring Wii VC games to the WIi U OS, cannot be done because Nintendo has their solution. In a future update, Nintendo will re-release VC games for the Wii U with added features. If you have the game, you'll have to buy the Wii U versions of these games separately but at a price of 1.00 - 1.50. You don't lose the Wii VC if you do.

As for Hard drive, beats me. Personally, I think after the Wii's pirate scene, they're trying to prevent or at least keep pirating to a minimum.
---
#6vidalmorazaPosted 4/11/2013 10:01:46 AM
You can use SD cards for Wii U stuff, just use an adapter and put it in one of the USB ports....
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#7kreegan64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 1:57:51 PM
Bull crap, not buying the same game just for toilet access gaming (not that I play on the can) with all the games I want to transfer, it'd cost well over 20-30 bucks just for tablet play.

I didn't know that there was an adapter for sd cards like that, but doubt the U will read it.
---