How can Nintendo be more adult friendly?

#21CelestialMind(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 4:35:29 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

Have you done your research on the author of this quote?

He was trying to sell his children's books. Lol what he says has no merit whatsoever. He had every incentive to say whatever to sell his product.

That's like asking the head of Nintendo "Is Nintendo doing well?".

So a quote that has profound meaning and turns out to be true has no merit because you don't like the source?

Profound meaning? More like false advertising and trying to shame adults into buying children's books because they are the ones with money.

The problem with his argument is it can be applied to everything and anything and then you start to see how stupid it really is.

Still soil yourself? So what? There's no such thing as growing up! Liking playing with little kids instead of adults? They are your best friends? Hmm nothing creepy about that at all.

Society places boundaries on what a child and what an adult is supposed to do. It would not be able to function otherwise.
#22squatch22Posted 4/11/2013 4:36:14 PM
Shadowbird_RH posted...
It's plenty adult friendly as it is. If you mean teen friendly, then it'll need more gratuitous nudity and violence.

---
Nintendo: Leading the way for others to follow.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#23Jack_the_monke7Posted 4/11/2013 4:38:07 PM
CelestialMind posted...
SegavsCapcom posted...
CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

He was trying to sell his children's books. Lol what he says has no merit whatsoever. He had every incentive to say whatever to sell his product.

So a quote that has profound meaning and turns out to be true has no merit because you don't like the source?

Profound meaning? More like false advertising and trying to shame adults into buying children's books because they are the ones with money.

The problem with his argument is it can be applied to everything and anything and then you start to see how stupid it really is.

Still soil yourself? So what? There's no such thing as growing up! Liking playing with little kids instead of adults? They are your best friends? Hmm nothing creepy about that at all.

Society places boundaries on what a child and what an adult is supposed to do. It would not be able to function otherwise.

Horrible logic doesn't warrant a serious response.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#24GloryChaosPosted 4/11/2013 4:38:51 PM

The society I know treats video games in general as something only little kids and lonely, jobless men play. The society is shocked the millionth time a girl is discovered playing a video game, because girls don't play video games.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#25ADHDguitarPosted 4/11/2013 4:40:49 PM
By releasing dumbed down games with more blood and less color.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#261shadetail1Posted 4/11/2013 5:00:42 PM
CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

This is called the ad hominem fallacy. You aren't responding to the argument, you're attacking the person who made it.

Considering the topic, I take glee in this ironic reply: Grow up.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#27ClarkyMalarkyPosted 4/11/2013 5:01:47 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

This is called the ad hominem fallacy. You aren't responding to the argument, you're attacking the person who made it.

---
Your ugly face is starting to piss me off.
#28jillwarrenPosted 4/11/2013 5:06:28 PM
CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

You are quite laughable in your attempts to downplay this quote. C.S. Lewis authored 1 series of children's novels. He also wrote a lot of noverls for grown ups. Books like "A Grief Observed" and "The Problem of Pain" were not for children, and includes far more intellectual thought than you are trying to ascribe to him. Your attempts to downplay profound thought because it would be logical to say is beyond humorous.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#29MotiJrPosted 4/11/2013 5:13:03 PM(edited)
It's plenty adult friendly as it is. If you mean teen friendly, then it'll need more gratuitous nudity and violence.

This one statement just shut down the entire topic.

CelestialMind posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

This statement just straight up schooled you. Honestly TC, just take whatever shred of dignity you have left and run, run for the hills. You have tried to get inappropriate reactions out of people here for a while now and instead, you have only embarrassed yourself.
#30PhantomSoDPosted 4/11/2013 5:15:47 PM
Nintendo's last console had Mad World, Both No More Heroes and I think Metroid Prime:Corruption can count as pretty "adult" as it had Samus deal with having to kill her friends as they were taken over by corruption.

This time, Nintendo already has Bayo2, NG3, AC3-4, Injustice ect. In terms of exclusives, that monolith soft game and the fire emblem game look like more we can add to the list of "adult" games.(Also one I'm really excited to hear about is Suda51 new IP that is designed by the same ones who did no more heroes. This makes me hopeful WiiU will see a copy) Nintendo is doing fine with quality and variety of non-casual gaming experiences. Honestly the only thing Nintendo doesn't have at the moment are the random FPS that people live on on PSN and Live. I still don't understand why people are proud of that either -_-....but I digress.

Nintendo does not have an issue with adult friendliness, it has an issue with image because of its inability to provide 1st party at a consistant rate for the(lets face it) horribly underpowered Wii that would either just not get a port of good multi-plat games, or get a severely dumbed down version with missing levels/features and last minute tacked on waggle controls(thus cheapening what the system had to offer even more in some consumers eyes) The gap in power this time should not be as great and, as we're seeing with Watch_Dogs and AC4, devs will be able to scale the games to work on WiiU without having to sacrifice much. All nintendo has to do is

a. not rely on Mario as much as they have in the past(3 mario games for every 1 of their other 1st party, which can be considered more "mature" titles)

b. Use their own tablet controller in innovative ways. Show 3rd party exactly what they can do with the tablet in terms of asymmetrical gameplay among its other features.(this is my one biggest complaint about WiiU thus far. The main attraction is the new controller, yet we have nothing coming that uses it for anything more than an off screen hub. Not exactly selling on the "innovative" concept of it.(Hoping to see this with some of the 1st party coming up, as well as Bayo2 since Nintendo is helping make the actual game)

long story short, Nintendo does have an image problem(more from system power than actual content), but being any more adult friendly than they already are at this point can only come from making more crazy gore/sex filled FPS(thats the only "adult" game they're lacking in spades once again see NMH, MW). But overdoing that, I feel would just cheapen their brand.