Online Wii Channels, WiiConnect24 no longer supported as of 6/28

#21SolisPosted 4/13/2013 2:01:54 AM
Wow, they're sure dumping those quick. Wii systems are still being sold and already they're announcing they're going to shut down online features of it within months? That seems to set a bad precedent, at the very least they could wait until the system is no longer supported to, you know, drop support for its online services. WiiConnect24 in general always just seemed to be a decent idea that was sorely underutilized, so seeing it discontinued when it was never even really taken advantage of much is really a shame.

DBPanterA posted...
metalXgear posted...
This is pretty sad, Nothing on the wii should be no longer supported, at least support it for another 5 or so years. Lots of people still use the Wii channels.

5 years, for a console in which they will not produce another title, is a little long.

The same types of things happen with their competitors (Sony/Microsoft). Granted, there are still games to be played and enjoy, but their focus is generate sales and revenue off current and future games. The Wii has none.

Well to be fair, at least Xbox Live for the original Xbox stayed up for five and a half years after its successor was released, and there are even PS2 games and services that are still online. Sure, this is a bit different since they don't seem to be shutting down all network services for the original Wii (yet, anyway), but it's still a pretty significant portion of its features which are going to be cut off.

It will be especially sad when they discontinue online for Wii games entirely, since no Wii games to my knowledge even support any sort of LAN functionality, making tunneling impossible. At least other systems like the Xbox, PS2, and even Gamecube had networking support that didn't rely on a closed and proprietary service. Kinda ironic to think that people will still be able to play Mario Kart Double Dash online long after Mario Kart Wii's multiplayer will be restricted to a single console.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#22AkaimizuPosted 4/13/2013 2:18:16 AM(edited)
The plain truth about how newer consoles have almost all but killed Lan play options. While Infrastructure is much more convenient while running, it eventually has a termination date. I'd imagine if something like Phantom Dust had a Local multiplayer LAN option, people would still be playing it together, to this day.

One interesting advantage to the higher degree of local-multiplayer options usually on Nintendo consoles. There will never be a day where you can't have the option of multiplayer on stuff like SMB Wii, Wii U, or even NintendoLand.

Why Phantasy Star Portable games, and Phantasy Star Zero are among the most valuable Phantasy Star releases ever made. Why they were top priority for me. As long as you have the game, and the system it plays on. Nobody can take away your multiplayer options.

Your right that online Wii games never made a local option, but a good amount of its library offered multiplayer options on the same console. To a degree, for the last generation, it's still quite easy to play old games and with buds on Nintendo, regardless of the state of most servers at the time.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#23omniryuPosted 4/13/2013 5:07:11 AM(edited)
Akaimizu posted...
The plain truth about how newer consoles have almost all but killed Lan play options. While Infrastructure is much more convenient while running, it eventually has a termination date. I'd imagine if something like Phantom Dust had a Local multiplayer LAN option, people would still be playing it together, to this day.

One interesting advantage to the higher degree of local-multiplayer options usually on Nintendo consoles. There will never be a day where you can't have the option of multiplayer on stuff like SMB Wii, Wii U, or even NintendoLand.

Why Phantasy Star Portable games, and Phantasy Star Zero are among the most valuable Phantasy Star releases ever made. Why they were top priority for me. As long as you have the game, and the system it plays on. Nobody can take away your multiplayer options.

Your right that online Wii games never made a local option, but a good amount of its library offered multiplayer options on the same console. To a degree, for the last generation, it's still quite easy to play old games and with buds on Nintendo, regardless of the state of most servers at the time.

Some PS2 games and Wii games use the same service. Nintendo just calls it by a different name. Mario Kart Wii will last as long as those PS2 games. As long as powered by gamespy is still in business Wii, select PS2 games, and DS games will still be online. This is also applies to Phantasy Star Zero.

And to whoever brought up the the photo channel, it isn't connected online so I don't know why that was brought up in this thread.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#24iceachePosted 4/13/2013 5:10:11 AM
Who cares? If you're on a Wii U now then you don't need those channels.
#25SONICRPosted 4/13/2013 7:37:21 AM
Well dang, this sucks. Weather Channel was important for NiGHTS: JoD, without it the weather will just be randomly based on the season. Also will suck not having Message Board emails, shared photos, audio messages and Mii shares.
---
Ghostbusters: OZARKS http://www.facebook.com/ghostbustersoftheozarks
G.A.M.E. Expo http://www.springfieldgame.com
#26LinkSSJ6Posted 4/13/2013 7:40:18 AM
They must be trying to force the casuals who think a Wii is all they need to move to Wii U.
---
Got a Wii or Wii U but nothing new to play? Get Pandora's Tower!
http://www.pandorastowerwii.com/
#27mjc0961Posted 4/13/2013 10:10:25 AM
So it only ends the completely useless channels that nobody used anymore anyway?

Not even newsworthy. Let me know when they want to shut down the Shop Channel and I'll care.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#28Helmsly2008Posted 4/13/2013 12:31:21 PM
SONICR posted...
Well dang, this sucks. Weather Channel was important for NiGHTS: JoD, without it the weather will just be randomly based on the season. Also will suck not having Message Board emails, shared photos, audio messages and Mii shares.

wow I didn't know about that. I had a check and it seems a few other games use the weather channel also:

Certain games like Madden NFL 07, Nights: Journey of Dreams, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games can use the Forecast Channel to simulate weather conditions depending on the player's region.