Grabbing a WiiU tomorrow. What else do I need?

#11BAMXPosted 4/14/2013 12:37:58 AM(edited)
The Wii U GamePad can do everything that the Wii U Pro Controller can. So if you're only getting stuff for two people, you should only need one Wii U Pro Controller.

But you may not even need that. I believe most, if not all, Wii U games that support the Wii U Pro Controller support the Wii Classic Controller as well. The Wii Classic Controller doesn't have clickable analog sticks, though, so it may not work very well for some games. For Wii U Virtual Console games, though, the Classic Controller works great.

So whether you need a Wii U Pro Controller or not really depends on which games you're getting. If I had to choose between buying a Wii U Pro Controller and a Classic Controller Pro, I'd definitely choose the Classic Controller Pro. It has more uses than the Wii U Pro Controller does, plus it's far cheaper. You'd need two Classic Controllers for Wii stuff, but even buying two Classic Controller Pros is cheaper than buying one Wii U Pro Controller.
---
Contrary to popular belief, I do, in fact, exist.
#12Reece504Posted 4/14/2013 12:22:45 AM
patients
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
#13Caliaztec(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 12:49:46 AM
Reece504 posted...
patients

I've got plenty of that always a first adopter. And one of few people who love their Vita and its games. I can always find something to enjoy.
---
Playing Marvel Heroes(Beta), Ni No Kuni, XCom, Persona 4, Code of Princess, Tales of Abyss.
PSN: Caliaztec --- 3DS Friend Code:1134-7395-5895
#14Reece504Posted 4/14/2013 12:55:46 AM
Caliaztec posted...
Reece504 posted...
patients

I've got plenty of that always a first adopter. And one of few people who love their Vita and its games. I can always find something to enjoy.

thats good i really hope this spring update comes out a long with VC to hold me over until they announce stuff at E3.
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
#15SocranPosted 4/14/2013 1:39:39 AM
Caliaztec posted...
So sounds like 2 sets of WiiMotes, Nunchucks, and 2 classics is the way to go if mostly just for the wife and I. Any other needed peripherals? Wanna have all my bases covered! Any other must have games or anything else? And thank you for quick responses!

Depending on your situation and how many games you plan to download instead of having on a disk, you may need an external hard drive. But there's no need to get one right away "just in case", you could simply pick one up if and when the need arises - and they may have dropped in price by then.

Pro Controllers are not a necessity. Some games might need them for multiplayer at some point, but I believe all the ones that exist so far can use a classic controller or wii remote in its place. Again, it's a "wait until the need arises" situation.

As for must-have games, it sounds like you've got most of the ones out so far covered, including the Nintendo Land that comes packaged in. You might consider getting New Super Mario Bros. U as well, especially if you're looking for something else to play multiplayer with your wife. And if you didn't already get it on another system, I always recommend Batman: Arkham City. But that's because Batman.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#16splodeymissilePosted 4/14/2013 2:11:44 AM
You might want to consider getting Zombiu and Lego city as well. They're the big exclusives at the mo.
---
I've seen the colour of my soul and it's black.
#17Caliaztec(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 2:23:37 AM
My GameStop actually has the ZombieU bundle and for $40 more for the game and controller can't go wrong plus I heard it didn't use to come bundled with nintendoland digitally but now does so can't really say no. As for the other games gonna hold off and gamefly em for now. I am on the fence of trading up my PS3 Arkham city GOTY for the WiiU version though since it was lowered to $40.
---
Playing Marvel Heroes(Beta), Ni No Kuni, XCom, Persona 4, Code of Princess, Tales of Abyss.
PSN: Caliaztec --- 3DS Friend Code:1134-7395-5895
#18themoth2112Posted 4/14/2013 2:27:44 AM
You will need (want):
A wii mote (at least 1 but you can get more for multiplayer for Nintendo land).
A pro controller u because monster hunter plays better that way
And a game cube remote (cause smash bros brawl needs it.)
---
mothmusic.tumblr.com
#19SocranPosted 4/14/2013 2:48:20 AM
themoth2112 posted...
A pro controller u because monster hunter plays better that way

Lies and slander.

And a game cube remote (cause smash bros brawl needs it.)

Actually factually incorrect, as the Gamecube controller is incompatible with the Wii U. And anyway, that game is compatible with a Wii Remote on its side, a Wii Remote paired with a nunchuk, and a Classic Controller.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#20splodeymissilePosted 4/14/2013 2:57:11 AM
All versions of Arkham city are virtually identical, so I would keep you're Ps3 version.
---
I've seen the colour of my soul and it's black.