how come the wii u cant play or support.....

#1m_lwPosted 4/14/2013 2:41:54 AM
Gamecube games and play DVD's... Surely playing these two formats aswell could have been done and been beneficial to a lot of people
#2Auction SniperPosted 4/14/2013 2:46:30 AM
For the same reason that Sony is removing PS1 and audio CD playback on the PS4 - the games are well over a decade old and they couldn't be bothered to add the legacy support.
---
No More Heroes - The game where you engage in Light-sabre combat while riding on a Greyhound Bus.
#3EternalWolfPosted 4/14/2013 2:53:21 AM
It doesnt support GCN discs purely because of Nintendo's philosophy, whatever it may be(too old, greed for eShop, whatever). All Wii Mode needs to run GCN Discs is the GCN bios, proper controller drivers and save formats. Everything else is likely already there, ready to go.

As far as DVDs, someone else can answer that.
#4promo123Posted 4/14/2013 3:03:18 AM
Sony is removing audio CD playback!? That‘s an awful idea!
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#5knightimexPosted 4/14/2013 3:03:50 AM
It's 2013, you should have at least 3 DVD playing devices in you house by now.....
---
Old School Style Games FTW!
#6The_UrgePosted 4/14/2013 4:58:11 AM
Yeah it'd be nice if one of them could be the Wii U.
#7_Sovereign_Posted 4/14/2013 6:07:05 AM
The_Urge posted...

I don't understand this thought. Most of you here complaining probably already have a 360/PS3 at the very least. I'm sure a lot of you still have a PS2, a TV with a DVD drive in it, and/or a standalone DVD player. Not to mention the fact that you can go to any free/paid streaming service and play those movies through the Wii U or PS3 from your computer.

It's 2013 and it's amazing how so many people ( not me) want to embrace digital distribution yet complain about a digital device not supporting physical media, games notwithstanding of course.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#8mjc0961Posted 4/14/2013 6:20:47 AM
Auction Sniper posted...
For the same reason that Sony is removing PS1 and audio CD playback on the PS4 - the games are well over a decade old and they couldn't be bothered to add the legacy support.

Actually the reason Sony is removing PS1 support from PS4 is so they can sell more PS1 Classics on PSN.

That's the only reason. The PS2 could emulate the PS1 for crying out loud and the PS3 did as well, there is no excuse for PS4 not to other than greed.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#9DemonDog666Posted 4/14/2013 6:22:23 AM
mjc0961 posted...
Auction Sniper posted...

Actually the reason Sony is removing PS1 support from PS4 is so they can sell more PS1 Classics on PSN.

That's the only reason. The PS2 could emulate the PS1 for crying out loud and the PS3 did as well, there is no excuse for PS4 not to other than greed.

Actually we don't know if ps4 will have ps1 support or not stop spreading lies.
#10The_UrgePosted 4/14/2013 6:34:51 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
The_Urge posted...

I don't understand this thought. Most of you here complaining probably already have a 360/PS3 at the very least. I'm sure a lot of you still have a PS2, a TV with a DVD drive in it, and/or a standalone DVD player. Not to mention the fact that you can go to any free/paid streaming service and play those movies through the Wii U or PS3 from your computer.

It's 2013 and it's amazing how so many people ( not me) want to embrace digital distribution yet complain about a digital device not supporting physical media, games notwithstanding of course.

I don't embrace digital distribution.

I actually do not have my ps2 anymore and I actually do not own a dvd player. The only one I use is my PS3 and I rarely use the one on my computer. I have 2 tv's in the house and would much rather have something that can do kore than one thing attached to the tv to save some space and not deal with clutter. I know it sounds crazy but there are people like me in the world that are ocd like that.