Nintendo has lost it.

#1DashbePosted 4/14/2013 10:23:56 PM
My favourite ever game is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. For the time, it was revolutionary, damn near perfect. To this day it remains my favourite game. I loved Majora Mask too, and while Twilight Princess and Wind Waker could never recapture the majesty of OoT, they were still great games. I bought the 3DS exclusively for Zelda: OoT.

I skipped out on the Wii. The GameCube was quite a disappointment and while it had some good games, I enjoyed playing the Xbox more, so naturally I opted for the 360 this generation.

Still, when Zelda: Skyward Sword came out I thought I will definitely find a way to play that game, and so I did, last week. And it was disappointing.

While it was still a fun game, it wasn't groundbreaking, nor did it fill me with the awe of previous Zelda games. The puzzles were too easy, the motion controls (initially frustrating) felt like a gimmick, and after playing games like Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Halo and Bioshock it just felt so... bland. Sure Nintendo games will always have more charm than most games out there, I can't help but feel that charm is not a substitute for great gameplay, story or atmosphere. It seems to me Nintendo is getting arrogant, that it thinks it can get away with targeting our nostalgia alone.

Perhaps it's not just Nintendo, but Japanese games in general. Even games like MGS and Final Fantasy feel drab and dull after some of their Western counterparts.
#2BuretsuPosted 4/14/2013 10:24:42 PM
Dashbe posted...
Perhaps it's not just Nintendo, but Japanese games in general. Even games like MGS and Final Fantasy feel drab and dull after some of their Western counterparts.

Have you ever played Skyrim? MAN, talk about drab and dull.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3Boomerang78Posted 4/14/2013 10:25:28 PM
Have fun playing as grizzled space marines and emotionless, beefy combat veterans, yo.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yD9N0.gif
#4evosthunderPosted 4/14/2013 10:26:19 PM
New and original topic.
---
I post on other sites, too. Don't think that's how I spend all of my time.
#5Dashbe(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 10:27:02 PM
The first playthrough is amazing, but I agree, second playthrough feels dull. Mind, I rarely play a game more than once (unless they're really amazing, like Bioshock Infinite or Red Dead Redemption).
#6Dashbe(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 10:28:08 PM
Boomerang78 posted...
Have fun playing as grizzled space marines and emotionless, beefy combat veterans, yo.

Nah, I thought Gears of War was overrated and repetitive.
#7shaunmePosted 4/14/2013 10:29:53 PM
Buretsu posted...
Dashbe posted...

an ambitious game though
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#8Shinobi120Posted 4/14/2013 10:31:05 PM(edited)
Dashbe posted...

That's because that Japanese 3rd party publishers have been "westernizing" their titles trying to cater to the west.
#9SocranPosted 4/14/2013 10:53:30 PM(edited)
Shinobi120 posted...
Dashbe posted...

That's because that Japanese 3rd party publishers have been "westernizing" their titles trying to cater to the west.

Yeah, the most disappointing games to come out of Japan lately (not counting a couple bad games that stayed in Japan) have been a result of "westernization". Ironically, some of the better things to come out of Japan were designed to appeal to western audiences (freakin' Big O, man), but they were aimed at western audiences who liked Japanese things. And vice-versa, western developers who respect a franchise born in Japan and try to stick to its roots as much as possible within their own vision (like Retro with Metroid Prime).

It's almost as if people who are able to see the positives in both are capable of bringing things from both sides of the fence. But nah, that's crazy talk. Games should be as Japan-less as possible, and leave everything else for the moe weeaboo otakus.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#10BuretsuPosted 4/14/2013 10:56:17 PM
shaunme posted...
Buretsu posted...
Dashbe posted...

an ambitious game though

Yes, but it bit off more than it could chew, and then just spread it around a REEEEEALY big plate.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit