Nintendo Wii U Storage Expansion FAQ V2.0

#41TCaC04(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 2:02:19 PMmessage detail
Vipsoccermaster posted...
TCaC04 posted...
TCaC04 posted...
I have a certain problem with the Toshiba 2TB external hard drive with my Wii U. I can use it fine with no problems, of course, with data management and stuff. The problem comes when after I play a bit, the external hard drive seems to shut itself off for no reason. When I attempt to save my progress in a game, I get an error saying the external hard drive has been disconnected from the Wii U when it actually isn't. Then I'm like forced to shut off the Wii U to re-boot the external hard drive, but of course, doing so makes me lose the progress I've gone through in the game. I'm not really sure what the problem seems to be. Do drives have a tendency to shut itself off after a while?

Can you elaborate on what kind of drive it is? I know you mentioned it was a 2TB Toshiba drive but what kind of model is it? Does it have it's own external power supply or do you have it powered via USB using a Y-cable?

The model is DWC 120.

And it has its own power supply.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it is either losing power when you try to play a game or it has an auto shutdown mode.

It's not common for HDDs to shut off unless it is disconnected from the console. I tried searching for the HDD you have to see if it has any feature with it but nothing shows up. Toshiba DWC 120 2TB right? Nothing comes up when I do a google search.

Did you ever try this HDD on a computer? If so, what were the results of that?

It might have an auto-shutdown mode, sure, but I can't be certain just yet. I also tried the same search, but I didn't get any relevant searches, like you.

As for trying it on a computer (not the one I'm typing this on), yes, I tried it on one of them, but unfortunately, that computer did not recognize it. However, that computer recently got fixed, so we'll try again soon, hopefully this weekend. I'll let you know again by then.

Yes, keep us posted. Whenever you get a result, feel free to come back and tell us about it. Anything regarding Storage solution is helpful and appreciated.
---
PSN: AZ_Killstreak_4
NNID: AZ_Commando_4
#42Schwepps01Posted 5/3/2013 7:17:35 PMmessage detail
I am very proud of the fact that I am on the first page, having interrupted your barrage of nonsensical posts.
#43FireFlower16Posted 5/4/2013 10:20:53 AMmessage detail
Tank! Tank! Tank! - 1557 MB
#44FireFlower16Posted 5/4/2013 10:22:29 AMmessage detail
Schwepps01 posted...
I am very proud of the fact that I am on the first page, having interrupted your barrage of nonsensical posts.

Was this really necessary? If you don't have anything to contribute, please refrain from posting. Go troll somewhere else.
#45TCaC04(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 10:42:22 AMmessage detail
FireFlower16 posted...
Tank! Tank! Tank! - 1557 MB

Thank you for the info.

UPDATE
Megaman - 30 MB
Pac-man - 30 MB
Kung Fu Rabbit -
Tank! Tank! Tank! - 1.5 GB (1557 MB)

Just need Kung Fu Rabbit file size.
---
#46TCaC04(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 10:45:56 AMmessage detail
FireFlower16 posted...
Schwepps01 posted...

Was this really necessary? If you don't have anything to contribute, please refrain from posting. Go troll somewhere else.

No need to worry about it. Just ignore him, he is a waste of time. He's seeking attention. I swear whenever I read one his posts, I can feel my brain cells committing suicide of how idiotic some of his posts are. Just put him on ignore, it's easier that way.
---
#47SlyCooperFan12Posted 5/5/2013 7:31:35 AMmessage detail(edited)
Kung Fu Rabbit - 94 MB
---
Sokka:let us leave!
Bumi:lettuce leave?
#48VipsoccermasterPosted 5/5/2013 6:08:11 PMmessage detail
TCaC04, I finally found out the problem regarding the hard drive. It apparently has a sleep function, which makes the drive go to sleep after about 10 minutes. I doesn't wake up until after I restart the Wii U, so this is why I can't save my games after 10 minutes.
---
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Quiz-Master Badge
From Chaosmaster00's Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Quiz (January 2008)
#49TCaC04(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 7:38:00 PMmessage detail
SlyCooperFan12 posted...
Kung Fu Rabbit - 94 MB

Once again, Thanks for the info SlyCooper.

TCaC04, I finally found out the problem regarding the hard drive. It apparently has a sleep function, which makes the drive go to sleep after about 10 minutes. I doesn't wake up until after I restart the Wii U, so this is why I can't save my games after 10 minutes.

Bummer. There's no way to turn it off at all? If not, that is a real disappoint. Check Amazon and/or Newegg for good deals on HDDs.
---
#50VipsoccermasterPosted 5/6/2013 12:20:22 AMmessage detail
TCaC04 posted...
SlyCooperFan12 posted...
Kung Fu Rabbit - 94 MB

Once again, Thanks for the info SlyCooper.

Bummer. There's no way to turn it off at all? If not, that is a real disappoint. Check Amazon and/or Newegg for good deals on HDDs.

Not sure yet. My dad and I did some research on it about the problem. We found this thread: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Features/Canvio-sleep-function/td-p/347620
---
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Quiz-Master Badge
From Chaosmaster00's Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Quiz (January 2008)